Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:41 pm

Author Topic: The Employment Advice Thread  (Read 71836 times)  Share 

walkec

The Employment Advice Thread
« on: November 26, 2014, 01:33:57 pm »
+6
Hi everyone,

With the class of 2014 done and dusted for the year, many of the AN are documenting their employment struggles on the Class of 2014 thread. As a 2014 graduate myself, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread with advice for how to apply for jobs, interviews and general resume tips. So a note to mods - consider stickying this if it goes well.

Some general pointers about how to go about applying for jobs

-Apply anywhere if you don't have experience and don't waste your time applying for jobs that require experience. I applied for 32 jobs and had 5 interviews before I got my current job. I think the reason for this was that I was far too fussy as a 15 year old with no experience. When I started at my job, I was washing dishes for 5 hours straight, but in my 3 years I've been there, I've worked my way up and I'm now a barista and I'm working towards being able to open/close/run the store by myself. It's better to take something less desirable to get some experience and money under your belt and move on later than to still continue to be unemployed. Don't just look at big companies if you have no experience. Working in a small business can be a good way to get some experience and then it can make it easier for you to move on 6 months or so down the track.

-Get a couple of people to proof read your resume and read it aloud for clarity

-Dress the part. As someone who has taken many resumes over my 3 years at my job, I am not particularly inclined to tell my manager there's another resume if the person looks sloppy/is in their pyjamas/wears a low cut top/has visible tattoos etc. Harsh but I'm sure many other employers would have similar standards. Wear your hair up, minimal makeup and jewellery, no sneakers, a nice pair of pants/longish skirt and a nice top should suffice if you're female, or a collared shirt with nice trousers and polished shoes if you're male. This may seem a little over the top but first impressions do count.

-Don't lie about your availability

-Be honest

-Don't be generic in what you write on your resume. We see heaps of resumes from people in high school saying "I'm a team player", "I am reliable and trustworthy". To be honest, generic statements make me think that you haven't put thought into your application and I have just received a generic resume from a person who wants a job after year 12, over summer etc.

-Take responsibility. If you get offered an interview - turn up 10 minutes early, have a list of questions to ask (but don't ask about the pay until offered the position). Same goes if you get a trial shift or the job - start 5 minutes early. This shows you're organised and enthusiastic and don't sign off straight away until the manager or person in charge gives you the okay, especially if you're finishing a task. If it's 2 pm and that's the end of your shift but there's still 3 pizzas to make, say to the manager/whoever is in charge "did you want me to stay to finish doing these?" It shows that you're committed to the task at hand, and it helps to build rapport with your boss so they can cut you some slack when necessary (especially helpful around exam time).

- Keep trying. I actually handed in my resume to where I work twice before I even got an interview, and then I still didn't get the job. I then got another interview because there was another position and I was lucky enough to know a person working there, and then I got the job. Keep trying - it really will pay off.

How do I find jobs to apply for?
-Many companies are now using online applications in their recruitment process. Just search for the company you're looking for in Google (e.g. Woolworths careers) and then proceed through to the online recruitment site. Usually you have to make an account and upload your resume, which allows you to easily apply for other positions with the same company when they arise.

- Seek and other employment sites. Many people apply for jobs through Seek, so it can be difficult to land an interview with the sheer number of people who apply for positions advertised on there. For this reason, I recommend trying lesser known websites/resources like Gumtree and your Classifieds in the local paper for positions that less people may know about. Many small businesses also advertise in their shop windows and on boards in community centres, supermarkets etc.

- Word of mouth. I think this is underrated. The best way I think to get an interview is to have your friend give their boss a good word about you. If your friend is a reliable and good worker, their boss may be more likely to give you a go because they may think you will also be loyal and trustworthy. So tell your friends you're looking for a job. Even if they seek something advertised that might suit you, they can tell you about it.

So I hope this helps somewhat! Feel free to ask questions and I'll get back to you  :)

DJA

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Literature is the question minus the answer.
  • Respect: +201
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: The Employment Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 01:40:40 pm »
This is some great advice - thanks Walkec  :)
2014 - English (50, Premier's Award)| Music Performance (50, Premier's Award) | Literature (46~47) | Biology (47) | Chemistry (41) |  MUEP Chemistry (+4.5)  ATAR: 99.70

Griffith University Gold Coast Queensland
2015 - 2017 Bachelor of Medical Science (BMedSc)
2017 - 2021 Doctor of Medicine (MD)

DJA's Guide to Language Analysis (Section C)
DJA's guide on the topic of English Expression (Text response)

ealam2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »
Again, thank you very much, walkec!  :D

Just wanted to ask what are the do's and don't s of being in an interview like what to wear, what kind of questions we should ask and regarding body language?

Also, do you recommend applying online first then visit the store personally and hand in the resume?

Thanks!  :)

walkec

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 02:45:58 pm »
Again, thank you very much, walkec!  :D

Just wanted to ask what are the do's and don't s of being in an interview like what to wear, what kind of questions we should ask and regarding body language?

Also, do you recommend applying online first then visit the store personally and hand in the resume?

Thanks!  :)

As a general rule of thumb, work pants and a nice top should be okay for an interview. Ballet flats if you're female and dress shoes if you're male. Sometimes suitable attire can depend on the position you're applying for, so there are always exceptions to this. Tie long hair neatly off your face too and keep any makeup to a minimum.

Some questions you might consider asking...

- Is there a uniform requirement for the position?
- Are my hours fixed (part time) or flexible and variable? (casual)
- Is there opportunities to participate in additional training or to gain qualifications within the position? (think Cert 3 in Retail or Hospitality etc)

I don't necessarily recommend doing one over the other. By being open and not selective, you increase the amount of job openings available to you!

ealam2

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:40:34 pm »
Thanks, walkec!  :) I meant if it would be good to do both- online and personally.

Also, when printing out resume, does it matter if it's back to back if there are two pages or should it be printed on two separate sheets of paper?

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 12:11:20 am »
+1
Hey Walkec, and anybody else that would be willing to help :)

So for my resume, I barely have any work experience/volunteering

This is what I have;

-> Volunteered to organize fundraisers for my sports club
-> Volunteered in a selec-entry school program, where I've helped and tutored children in grade 5,6, and 7 (since 2013)
-> And done other random stuff for my local community

I know its not much, but do you think it's enough to apply for a part time job?

I've been offered to volunteer at a local library, and not sure if I should do it or not. Mostly because it starts in February, and is 10 weeks long ... Do you think I should do it? Wait that long? Or is what I have enough for just a little part time job...

Thanks!

- And one more thing, just for professional referees, people keep telling me to put in one of my school teachers. What is the purpose of this?
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

walkec

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:22:42 am »
Hey Walkec, and anybody else that would be willing to help :)

So for my resume, I barely have any work experience/volunteering

This is what I have;

-> Volunteered to organize fundraisers for my sports club
-> Volunteered in a selec-entry school program, where I've helped and tutored children in grade 5,6, and 7 (since 2013)
-> And done other random stuff for my local community

I know its not much, but do you think it's enough to apply for a part time job?

I've been offered to volunteer at a local library, and not sure if I should do it or not. Mostly because it starts in February, and is 10 weeks long ... Do you think I should do it? Wait that long? Or is what I have enough for just a little part time job...

Thanks!

- And one more thing, just for professional referees, people keep telling me to put in one of my school teachers. What is the purpose of this?

With the point about "And done other random stuff for my local community", worded like this sounds really informal and it's not really the sort of language you should be using in a resume. If you have done other things, include maybe two more of them on your resume, giving details of the specific program, time spent volunteering, key responsibilities etc. And it is enough to apply for a part time job - someone has to eventually give you a chance despite not having paid experience. I wouldn't worry about doing the volunteering at the library if I were you  :)

In regards to having teachers as referees, there's nothing wrong with this, especially if you have little or no experience. I think the logic behind it is that your teachers can gauge how motivated/committed/organised you are depending on how you have worked in their class and also know a bit about your personality, so if these things are all positive, it can help your potential employer understand more about who you are as a person instead of who you appear to be on a piece of paper and/or in an interview situation.

All the best  :)

mnewin

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 05:02:42 pm »
Im planning to apply for a job & in the sheet that advertised a position there were many rhetorical questions ie. 'Are you...' ' Do you have...' and 'if yes, this position may be for you!' It said do you have experience in ..., and i dont have any, but should i apply anyway???

walkec

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 05:32:02 pm »
Im planning to apply for a job & in the sheet that advertised a position there were many rhetorical questions ie. 'Are you...' ' Do you have...' and 'if yes, this position may be for you!' It said do you have experience in ..., and i dont have any, but should i apply anyway???

If it says experience is essential, then I wouldn't. But if it says experience is desirable, then I would because it is suggesting that experience is not a requirement of the position.

M_BONG

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »
Hey Walkec, first of all good work for this fantastic thread!

I just have a question; how would you suggest to apply for a job where no position is advertised (cold calling)..

Do I just ask for the manager and ask to hand in my resume? Should I ask if they have any positions available, ask for more details about the job etc when they tell me they are not hiring? If I were to introduce myself to them, should I sound really inquisitive or would they normally find me annoying if I act really keen?

Also, where do you recommend going to if I want to learn to be a barista - I know you said somewhere you work at a coffee shop? I love coffee, and I want to learn how to make coffee. There is a Coffee Club and a Gloria Jeans at a small shopping centre where I live (near Doncaster).. should I just apply there? Do they normally take people who are not trained in hospitality?

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 06:06:26 pm by Zezima. »

walkec

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »
Hey Walkec, first of all good work for this fantastic thread!

I just have a question; how would you suggest to apply for a job where no position is advertised (cold calling)..

Do I just ask for the manager and ask to hand in my resume? Should I ask if they have any positions available, ask for more details about the job etc when they tell me they are not hiring? If I were to introduce myself to them, should I sound really inquisitive or would they normally find me annoying if I act really keen?

Also, where do you recommend going to if I want to learn to be a barista - I know you said somewhere you work at a coffee shop? I love coffee, and I want to learn how to make coffee. There is a Coffee Club and a Gloria Jeans at a small shopping centre where I live (near Doncaster).. should I just apply there? Do they normally take people who are not trained in hospitality?

Thanks! :)

I'd ask for the manager and then when the manager comes out, introduce yourself and say you'd like to hand in your resume in case there are any current or future availabilities at their store. I think it's important to seem friendly when cold calling - it makes for a change from all the shy and awkward people I see handing in resumes.

In regards to barista training, I'd recommend taking any basic hospitality position (waiter, dish washer, cleaner etc) and then trying to get trained in other areas. This is how I have since become a barista - I started out washing dishes and clearing tables and gradually got taught how to make coffee. Another thing you could consider doing is doing a coffee making short course (places like CAE and William Angliss usually hold these). They teach you the basics of how to run a commercial machine and key techniques etc, which could look better on a resume than having no hospitality experience at all. As for applying for coffee chains like The Coffee Club and Gloria Jeans, they do hire people with no hospitality experience. In my experience as an employee of a large coffee chain, people who do get hired with no experience tend to be 15-16 year olds, but maybe that's more to do with the actual store where I work, I'm not too sure.

mnewin

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »
If it says experience is essential, then I wouldn't. But if it says experience is desirable, then I would because it is suggesting that experience is not a requirement of the position.
Thanks Walkec, it says "Do you have experience in retail?" I guess i'm going to try my luck there anyway.

anna.xo

• No exam discussion
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:55:37 pm »
Thanks Walkec, it says "Do you have experience in retail?" I guess i'm going to try my luck there anyway.
Just curious..which outlet is this ?
2014: VCE
2015: Bachelor of Nutrition Science @ Monash University

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »
Mod Action: Stickied.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

nhmn0301

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: The University of Melboure
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 12:24:45 pm »
I just got hired by a bakery. Will have my trial next week but I feel quite doubtful about this place. The guy told me to work from 7am to 5pm and the payment I reckon is around $8/hour or less. Should I take this job or try next Monday and see how it goes?
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine