Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:17:12 pm

Author Topic: Staying Calm in Exams  (Read 11789 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Staying Calm in Exams
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:22:08 pm »
+19
[/center]

Let’s just get one thing straight right off the bat; exams are stressful experiences. Probably the most stressful thing most of us will deal with until we enter the workforce. It affects everyone differently, but the fact of the matter is that stress and exams sort of go hand in hand; and that isn’t always a bad thing. The problem is, that the brain doesn’t operate well under pressure. Staying calm is absolutely pivotal to making sure that you put your best foot forward.

People often ask me what my “keys to success” were. And I usually say some combination of three things:

1.   Lots of hard work
2.   Being organised
3.   Staying Calm in the Stressful Scenarios

The thing is, this absolutely didn’t come natural to me. Anyone who saw me before a music performance would see me pacing back and forward around the room, picking my nails. I couldn’t even eat the day of a music performance sometimes because it would just make me feel like absolute shit. Exams weren’t much better; for some of my Trial Exams especially I was a nervous wreck. Staying calm? Pfft, not my forte. And it still isn’t.

Heading into my HSC was shaping up to be a similar experience, but as I was working I realised something; I’d done this before.

I’d done my Trials, and come out fine. I’d done school assessments and come out fine. Like, nothing about the HSC was new. Sure it was more important and there was more pressure, but was any of it something I’d not done before? Hell no, and it’s same for all of you guys.

This is just another test. Yes, it’s super important, there is no denying that and we won’t play ignorant. But increased importance aside, the details are the same. And you’ve done this before heaps of times.

So my biggest and best piece of advice for the upcoming exams is this. Remember that you’ve done this before. Staying calm in a stressful situation is made so much easier when you remember that you’ve done it before.

So I prepared lots and got into my exams, and as it probably will for most of us: All positive/optimistic outlooks are left on our desk with our study notes. I am not going to lie to you guys; standing out the front of the exam hall on the first day of my exams in 2014, I was petrified. I was prepared. I was confident. But I still couldn’t help being terrified.

Being nervous outside the exam? Totally normal, and you should embrace that feeling rather than fight it. I totally get it. What’s important is knowing how to leave that stress at the door; so here are a few tips for staying calm in the exam room.

1.   Strut in Confident

I’ve written this before, but I want to emphasise it again because it helped me so much in staying calm for all my exams.

This might sound stupid, but I would practically strut into all my exams. Like I’m talking the whole shebang; sway of the arms, puffed chest, I probably looked like an absolute moron. Of course you don’t have to take it that far, but the point is this: Ooze confidence.

Even if you aren’t feeling confident, act it. Someone asks you how you are feeling? You are absolutely fantastic, no worries. Have some music to get you fired up before you walk in; get that ‘big fight feel.’

The reasons for this are pretty simple; physical behaviour is reflected in your mindset. If you act confident, you’ll be confident. This tip might sound silly, but I did it for every exam, and it is a big part of the reason I was able to stay calm in those first few English exams.

2.   Do The Easy Questions First

I’m a big believer in momentum for big exams. There is nothing better than tackling a few questions in a row and feeling super confident, or finishing an essay you are super chuffed with. Staying calm in an exam is majorly dependent on how well you are doing.

For this reason, try doing the easy stuff first! Your easiest module, or the multiple choice section, or whatever. Get some easy marks and start feeling good about your performance!

Trust me, it is really difficult to stay calm when you go right to the back page of an Extension 1 Exam and realise you can’t do the questions. I’ve been there, done that. The thing is, those same questions would have been more achievable had I just built up to them. Staying calm in an exam should always be your ultimate goal. Start of easy, build up to the hard stuff. Get on a roll!

3.   Don’t Sweat What’s Already Done

Inevitably, there are going to be questions in these exams over the next month that just stump you. It sucks, but it’s true. Staying calm is tough when you are skipping questions because you can’t do them. I’ve been in English exams where while I was writing my essay, I couldn’t stop thinking about how I probably bombed my Creative! Of course, my essay then didn’t perform very well either.

I know exactly how it feels to get in an exam and not click with a question. It happens to everyone. The successful students will know, however, that succeeding in an exam isn’t about getting everything right. It’s just about getting as many marks as you can. Do you think that stressing over something that has already been done is going to help at all with getting those marks for you? Of course not!

So, keep looking forward in an exam. Yes, check your answers and all that; but once a question is finalised, you need to leave it. Staying calm is impossible if you are churning a dozen questions you’ve already done in your head while trying to finish the paper. Or worse, doing math in your head to figure out whether you can still get the mark you want (I am guilty of this one even to this day…)

Just keep moving. It’s all about momentum. It’s clichéd, but yesterday is history. Don’t let it keep you from staying calm and smashing out the rest of the exam just like you know you can do ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:08:34 am by jamonwindeyer »

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Staying Calm in Exams
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
+2
thanks for that advice Jamon i usually stress out way too much before major exams so that really helped

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
+1
Thanks for that Jamon :)

I think we all needed that kickstart again as many of us are just stressing to much to be logical and productive..

Thanks for also reminding us that the HSC is not the end of our lives and we do have a life to live after it! This has really put me in the state of mind I need to be in to knuckle down for the last few days before / during / after English :D

roshanajabbour

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 06:33:28 pm »
+1
A few people who have completed their HSC have told me that the stress subsides a little following the English exams as they are the first and most nerve-racking!

lysscass

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:18 pm »
+2
thanks for the tips, it's nice to be reminded to stay calm with only a few days to go.
just an english specific tip for others that may have the same issue i often do: i find that if i stress too much in english, i'll blank on my quotes for my essays. in half yearlys and trials i found that if a quote popped into my head whilst i was writing but wasn't the right quote for that part of the essay, i'd jot down one word so that if i blank on it later, it's right there and i can continue without the stress building too much. not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but even if it only helps one person relax a little more this week then i'll be glad :)

roshanajabbour

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:46:25 pm »
thanks for the tips, it's nice to be reminded to stay calm with only a few days to go.
just an english specific tip for others that may have the same issue i often do: i find that if i stress too much in english, i'll blank on my quotes for my essays. in half yearlys and trials i found that if a quote popped into my head whilst i was writing but wasn't the right quote for that part of the essay, i'd jot down one word so that if i blank on it later, it's right there and i can continue without the stress building too much. not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but even if it only helps one person relax a little more this week then i'll be glad :)
I find myself doing the same thing!
However, at the beginning of an exam i also reread and say my quotes out loud and then as soon as the exam starts, i jot those quotes down in pencil on the writing booklet.
Once i have those quotes down, the rest just flows out.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:54:29 pm »
+1
A few people who have completed their HSC have told me that the stress subsides a little following the English exams as they are the first and most nerve-racking!

I have friends who said that paper one going well lead them to be confident in all of the others, and I have friends who said screwing up paper one meant that they were more determined for the other exams to do well! So English will be the most nerve wracking time, and it fades :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 11:44:40 pm »
+5
For subjects with short answer (basically everything except English and humanities with long essays) I boosted my confidence and calmness mid exams by celebrating every mark I 'knew' I'd get!

Starting on the easiest marks, I would write an answer or even part of an answer and deliver an excited mental commentary for each mark I knew I'd successfully caught: 'And one more mark bites the dust!  That's one mark the assessors just have to give me, one mark down, one less question I have to answer!!!!!!'

Just taking it one bite at a time, and celebrating each successful bite, really helped.  Even in the Englishes/humanities you can do that to some extent as you match up with criteria you're supposed to be appropriately addressing.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 09:29:49 pm »
Hi everyone, does anyone have ay tips for when in exams and you come across for instance short answers or an extended response you know nothing about, any ideas about how to make the most of this situation and get the most marks possible

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 09:41:29 pm »
Hi everyone, does anyone have ay tips for when in exams and you come across for instance short answers or an extended response you know nothing about, any ideas about how to make the most of this situation and get the most marks possible
Personally, I think a lot of the time when I say 'I know nothing about...' I'm just being paranoid.
BOSTES is limited to the syllabus content as to what they can ask, so there is a high chance that you will know something ;)
If however, you are really stuck, I often find it helps me to just think for a minute on all the content I've learnt, and then decide on what aspect is most suited to the question.
This probably isn't quite what you mean, but the Personalities question today really threw me. Then I realised that actually, the question is just wanting to know about the conflicting opinions regarding Albert Speer, and why historians tend to interpret Speer's actions the way they do, and why they have that particular opinion, which is fairly similar to a lot of other Speer questions.
Don't get me wrong though, I really bombed out on this question at the time!! :-[
But if you do panic, I recommend just pausing for a moment, and thinking through your content, and you will find that you do have something to say, and if you word it confidently, like you know what you are saying, I think you will reap a fair few marks, probably more that you originally think!
But good luck, I'm sure you will be just fine! :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 09:52:16 pm »

Welcome to the forums Lachlan! pughg16 has responded fantastically above, and I'd recommend actually brainstorming on a piece of scrap paper or something. Write down everything you know that is even slightly related, and see if it can jog your memory. Otherwise, move on and just smash the rest of the paper! A bad question happens to everyone ;D

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »
This is a random question im not sure if it's been posted in the right spot but what is the difference between scaling and aligning?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 10:02:27 pm »
This is a random question im not sure if it's been posted in the right spot but what is the difference between scaling and aligning?
Scaling is what UAC does to give you an ATAR. Alignment is an adjustment made so that your HSC marks are reflective of the difficulty of your own year, as some years are harder than others.

Further reading

Dragomistress

• Trendsetter
  • School: James Ruse Agricultural High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 07:10:20 am »
Those are some extremely good tips. This is noted.

Also, what are your comments on this:
My mathematics teacher once said to do exams backwards (of some sort).

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 08:20:15 am »
+1
Those are some extremely good tips. This is noted.

Also, what are your comments on this:
My mathematics teacher once said to do exams backwards (of some sort).
Between students it's just uncommon but for a teacher to say that unless you're really good that's just absurd.

Maths papers are always designed to go in ascending difficulty. Get the free marks earlier because you might waste time on Q16 and get nowhere for 2 hours and boom you go into time trouble.

Unless there's an exception with general maths, but i don't assume general unless explicitly said so.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:27:35 am by RuiAce »