Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:52:35 pm

Author Topic: What are the programs you valued most at Macrob?  (Read 2948 times)

blackcocoa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
What are the programs you valued most at Macrob?
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:24 pm »
+1
Greetings current or graduated macrob girls here!

Wondering whether you can give me some insights on the programs @ Macrob that YOU valued most? Besides the obvious fact that a group of academically strong girls inspiring each other study wise, what other valuable things the school offers? Particularly on things like character building / development?

I sat the entrance exam in June and am holding my breath waiting for the results to come out in a few days time.

I would like to think carefully for the last round on Pros and Cons of changing school. It would cost me extra two hours everyday commuting to/from Macrob - which I could use for study at home (or relax in my room) should I stay at my current school. I am very keen to find out some real world insights about Macrob.

Many thanks!

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 06:31:30 pm by blackcocoa »

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: What are the programs you valued most at Macrob?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:51 pm »
The personal growth experienced at MHS/MacRob is unrivalled. If you make the most of it, you'll forever be thankful for your decision to move.
2018-2020: UoM Comm

reiinicole

• Adventurer
  • School: no
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:26:30 pm »
+2
Hi blackcocoa,

I graduated from MacRob last year, and I must say MacRob is so much more than academics. I learnt so much about myself as a person while I was a MacRobbian, and I learnt a lot about other people in the world too. I totally agree with Hannibal - you need to make the most of what MacRob has to offer. I know many people who just let this whole experience wash over them and they didn't get that much good out of MacRob. On the other hand, lots of MacRobbians also take every opportunity they have to develop themselves and you can really tell that they flourish and truly enjoy their time there.

Personally I really appreciated the adult learning environment that MacRob offers. The teachers treat you like equals, they don't act like you're children - most, if not all, of them listen to their students' views and ideas, and consider them rather than simply write them off. They really get us thinking, and I know some people who didn't enjoy that as they'd rather be spoon fed. But I thought the experience was stimulating and prepared us for the real world beyond high school (eg uni) more than other schools, as we could think for ourselves - we have to solve our own problems in the real world.

MacRob has so many different programs and opportunities for you to get involved in, so choose whatever suits you - or just try heaps of things and then figure out what you like best. There is a huge focus on social service at MacRob, whether these are fundraisers, events during lunchtimes or conferences. There's also a huge music community, and we're actually pretty good at sport as well. The whole school community is really driven in whatever we do, so you can expect to see progress while you're there.

Lots of us have long travelling times as we come from all corners of Melbourne, so you won't be the only one! I guess it depends on the school you're at right now as well. But honestly, MacRob was such a life-changing experience and I'd totally go back and do it all over again.

Good luck for results! Let me know if you have any questions :)

blackcocoa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:23:06 am »
The personal growth experienced at MHS/MacRob is unrivalled. If you make the most of it, you'll forever be thankful for your decision to move.

Thanks Hannibal. Did you go to MHS or MacRob?
My parents heard from people in the know that MHS actually has a lot more programs (EC and beyond) than MacRob...

blackcocoa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:33:23 am »
Hi blackcocoa,

I graduated from MacRob last year, and I must say MacRob is so much more than academics. I learnt so much about myself as a person while I was a MacRobbian, and I learnt a lot about other people in the world too. I totally agree with Hannibal - you need to make the most of what MacRob has to offer. I know many people who just let this whole experience wash over them and they didn't get that much good out of MacRob. On the other hand, lots of MacRobbians also take every opportunity they have to develop themselves and you can really tell that they flourish and truly enjoy their time there.

Personally I really appreciated the adult learning environment that MacRob offers. The teachers treat you like equals, they don't act like you're children - most, if not all, of them listen to their students' views and ideas, and consider them rather than simply write them off. They really get us thinking, and I know some people who didn't enjoy that as they'd rather be spoon fed. But I thought the experience was stimulating and prepared us for the real world beyond high school (eg uni) more than other schools, as we could think for ourselves - we have to solve our own problems in the real world.

MacRob has so many different programs and opportunities for you to get involved in, so choose whatever suits you - or just try heaps of things and then figure out what you like best. There is a huge focus on social service at MacRob, whether these are fundraisers, events during lunchtimes or conferences. There's also a huge music community, and we're actually pretty good at sport as well. The whole school community is really driven in whatever we do, so you can expect to see progress while you're there.

Lots of us have long travelling times as we come from all corners of Melbourne, so you won't be the only one! I guess it depends on the school you're at right now as well. But honestly, MacRob was such a life-changing experience and I'd totally go back and do it all over again.

Good luck for results! Let me know if you have any questions :)

Thanks reiinicole, for all the inputs. Are there things like cadet / long camp (say two weeks or more)?
Btw, How was MacRob on English subjects? Most girls would be quite good in maths I assume? Did the school do a good job pushing / extending students in English subjects? How were the English teachers?  Thanks again.