Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:01:52 pm

Author Topic: Languages  (Read 12457 times)  Share 

Mr. Study

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Onion Knight
  • Respect: +18
Languages
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:08:15 pm »
Hey guys!

Just weighing up my options for next year and I would really love to do a language.

Would anyone be able to tell me how languages are taught at university? Would you say rote learning is necessary?

If you have done a VCE - LOTE, Would you be able to tell me the differences between VCE and University?

Someone told me that languages at university are amazing but I just would like some other opinions.

Thanks! :)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

RTandon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Forever a fob
  • Respect: +31
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: Languages
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:25:08 pm »
I would also like to know this.
I'm thinking of doing French, or maybe Chinese. I'm leaning more towards French, but let's see.
Accounting | English Language | Product & Design | Psychology | Business Management | Methods

A fashion designer in the making ;)

pyro-53

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
  • School: west side
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »
Also what happen if you're starting as a beginner? Will it add more to your uni's workload?
brotip #1849: don't let a bad grade define who you are or what you will become.

aabattery

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • AΩ The secret of success is constancy of purpose
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »
+1
Languages at uni IS amazing (for me at least!) :)

I can only tell from my experience at Monash - not sure how Melbourne works, but I'm sure it is similar.

Uni languages start at different levels. If you haven't learnt the language at all, you start as a beginner (Level 1). If you have done a lang at VCE level, you would start at a higher level (they give you a very short assessment test at the beginning of the year to check your level) - either Level 3 or Level 5.
If you do a language in an Arts degree, it is just like completeing any Arts major. If you are not studying Arts, you can pick up a diploma of languages - in that language: this adds to your workload - ie you would have to overload (do 5 subjects instead of 4 in a semester). You need approval from your managing faculty to do a diploma as well.

Monash Clayton BMus(Pianoforte)/LLB DipLang (Indonesian) III    

Class of '11, 99.50, Music Performance (50)

Happy to help if you have any music/indo/legal questions! :)

------------------------------------------------------------

INDONESIAN SL and MUSIC PERFORMANCE TUITION Also Piano/Theory/Musicianship Lessons
PM or email me at [email protected] if interested :)

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »
This is something I'd love to do too...do you know if it's possible to do your course at one Uni, and then pick up a diploma of language outside, like at another Uni or course provider?
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:05 am »
ie you would have to overload (do 5 subjects instead of 4 in a semester).

This is incorrect. Standard approach is that you study a normal load of 4 units a semester, but it takes you an extra year to graduate. Non-Arts students generally also have a few electives to play with, which offers an alternative way to fit in some language study without having to do a full-blown diploma.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:04:24 am »
There's also a really awesome intensive Latin course for 7 weeks before the semester at Melb, worth 12 Monash points. (Totally doing it) if anyone was interested in that.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:31 am »
There's also a really awesome intensive Latin course for 7 weeks before the semester at Melb, worth 12 Monash points. (Totally doing it) if anyone was interested in that.

I'm actually considering that one!
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:22 am »

I thought it was only for beginners?

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:06 am »

I am a beginner :p (I've done the first half of that course at ANU, but I cbf'd out of completing it, lol)
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:49:33 am »

I am a beginner :p (I've done the first half of that course at ANU, but I cbf'd out of completing it, lol)
Ooooh cool, yeah do it! Then we can go talk in #latin and I can feed off of your knowledge.

sodapop

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
Re: Re: Languages
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 07:59:03 am »

That sounds awesome! How would you apply as a year 12 graduate (who might not be going to UniMelb)?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
Re: Re: Languages
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »

That sounds awesome! How would you apply as a year 12 graduate (who might not be going to UniMelb)?
I haven't got that far yet :P
I was going to call them or something.

aabattery

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • AΩ The secret of success is constancy of purpose
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Scotch College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 01:21:43 pm »
ie you would have to overload (do 5 subjects instead of 4 in a semester).

This is incorrect. Standard approach is that you study a normal load of 4 units a semester, but it takes you an extra year to graduate. Non-Arts students generally also have a few electives to play with, which offers an alternative way to fit in some language study without having to do a full-blown diploma.

Apologies. Didn't know that that was the standard approach! The few students I know doing languages are all overloading or its part of their degree - Arts or otherwise due to electives as mentioned.
Monash Clayton BMus(Pianoforte)/LLB DipLang (Indonesian) III    

Class of '11, 99.50, Music Performance (50)

Happy to help if you have any music/indo/legal questions! :)

------------------------------------------------------------

INDONESIAN SL and MUSIC PERFORMANCE TUITION Also Piano/Theory/Musicianship Lessons
PM or email me at [email protected] if interested :)

saheh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »
I'm so interested in doing this. Except how do you go abut doing it when your uni doesn't offer it??
What are some good places that offer it online/outside normal school hours or something??
I'd love to do French or some European language
2012: 97.45
Lit: 36 Further: 39 Eng: 41 Bio: 42 Revs: 42 Outdoor: 49