QCE Stuff > Queensland Education Discussion

How many practice exams should I do before an exam?

(1/2) > >>

Twisty314:
Hi all!

The title is relative depending on what ATAR you want, so just to clarify, I want 99+ or OP1 equivalent. How many should I do and for which subjects? My subjects are:
Chemistry
Biology
Methods
Spesh
General English
Physics

Our school occassionally supplies us with one before a maths test, but nothing more.  :(
Thanks  heaps!

sweetiepi:
The question of how many exams you should do is like asking how long a piece of string is- some people don't do many practice exams and score really well, and some are do heaps and also do well. It's ultimately really up to you and how you wish to learn/study/use your time! :)

(I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but there is no definitive answer! :) )

Twisty314:

--- Quote ---The question of how many exams you should do is like asking how long a piece of string is- some people don't do many practice exams and score really well, and some are do heaps and also do well. It's ultimately really up to you and how you wish to learn/study/use your time! :)

(I know this doesn't quite answer your question, but there is no definitive answer! :) )
--- End quote ---

Thanks insanipi! Fair point - I guess it all really depends on the individual. I can usually get away with doing 1 practise exam along with a good review of it. It probably depends on how competent you are at a particular subject too.
Thanks again insanipi!  :)

Sine:
I agree with insanpi that there is no definite answer to this question. Although, I would be in the camp of "more is better" with the caveat that you are analysing your mistakes in each exam and making sure not to make those mistakes again. It is no use just spamming exams but not learning and getting better with them.

Joseph41:
Agree with Sine.

Ultimately, though, it's a pretty personal thing. For one of my subjects, I did like 40+ complete practice exams. Somebody I work with did literally zero, and we got the same score (albeit in different years). I think what this demonstrates is that there's not always a direct correlation between number of practice exams completed, and subject score.

You'll hear this a lot over the next couple of years, but quality is more important than quantity in many ways. All other things equal, I personally think it's better to do 15 practice exams than two, but realistically, all other things aren't always equal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version