Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:36:01 am

Author Topic: //  (Read 2359 times)

laura.akkari

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Ursula's College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
//
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:17:33 pm »
//
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:51:51 pm by laura.akkari »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: Half Yearly Results Disappointing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 09:17:21 am »
+2
Hey Laura!

I'm so sorry you're down about your marks, it's a really crappy time when you've not achieved what you thought all of your efforts would! I see something really special in you, just from what you've written, that I think will be what gets you through this and will pull you out on top. You're extremely level headed, hard working, and rational. What you're experiencing now is a shitty time in the HSC, but I'm seeing the qualities of a star in you. You're not pressuring yourself with numbers, you want to do this for yourself most importantly but also to make your supporters (family) proud, and you're not too stubborn to admit this isn't a fun time for you - this is all really admirable.

For what it's worth, I didn't look at your marks and think "Oh shit, she's really put herself in a hole here." They aren't bad grades, but I understand they aren't what you expect of yourself when you look at how much effort you put in. The bad news is you didn't do as well as you wanted and now you aren't really sure what to do. The good news is, it's only up from here. The good news is, we, online, can help you! The good news is, you seem to have every kind of attitude you need to equip yourself to move upwards from here! The bad news is, your down in the dumps right now. But that will pass :)

I don't know a lot about you, but I think the fact that you're not to proud to come here and tell your story and reach out tells me a lot about the person you are. I have complete confidence you will do really well, it's just about making an action plan now. If we can assist with the specifics with any subjects, just reach out and we'd love to lend a hand when you're ready to make your next move!

Be kind to yourself :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:18 am »
+2
Couldn't agree with Elyse more - I completely understand that those results don't quite meet expectations, but they are still good results!! To be sitting in that upper quarter or so of marks, this early in the year, is a really good spot to be in. You keep building throughout the year, and your results will go up and meet your expectations, so long as you maintain the belief that it will happen. Stay positive! ;D

To answer some of your specific questions:

a) tell me how badly this is going to affect my results

Negligibly, if at all. You can read this guide here, it goes through exactly how your marks are calculated. What you'll see is that results this early don't mean much - The end of year exam is the most important thing to ace! Half yearly results mean very little in the long run ;D

b) how to find the motivation to move forward

This comes down to you! Part of getting motivated will be knowing what you need to do, not just stumbling without direction. Read your exams, talk to your teachers, make lists of where you fell down and how you can get yourself back up in terms of content and skills. Having an action plan is your first step ;D

c) any good 'comeback' results stories (just to make it feel possible lol )

I got somewhere in the area of ~55% for my Extension 1 half yearly. I put me second last in the cohort - Serious let down for me and it had me feeling much like you do now. But I persevered, I figured out what I needed to do to improve, and by the end of the year I was first in the cohort and scored in the 90's for my Trials. Big come back, and it was purely down to hard work. It can always be done!

d) do you think dropping a subject is a good idea? (12 units currently with 7 subjects)

Perhaps, or perhaps not! That's a very personal thing, if you honestly feel like you have too much to do with 7 subjects then it could be worth dropping one of them. If you are coping with the workload though, then it might be better to just persevere and give yourself the added security. You might want to give this article a read!

Remember we are always here to help! :)

laura.akkari

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Ursula's College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:46 pm »
+2
//
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:52:48 pm by laura.akkari »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 07:50:26 pm »
Thank you guys both so much for your advice and kind words. It's really encouraging that you both think I can push through and do well and that's exactly what I think I needed to hear at the moment. I will definitely reach out when I'm struggling with something as I think maybe that's something I need to do if I want to do better and I think this is such a great place to do that. ATAR notes has seriously been so helpful over the last twelve months and going to lectures hosted by the both of you last year and at the beginning of the year have proved invaluable as well so thank you for that.
I really appreciate it guys  :D

So glad to hear this!
Really, it is only upwards from here when you've got a mindset like yours! :) Drop by any time, you know we're happy to look at subject-specific things as its needed :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 07:52:46 pm »
Thank you guys both so much for your advice and kind words. It's really encouraging that you both think I can push through and do well and that's exactly what I think I needed to hear at the moment. I will definitely reach out when I'm struggling with something as I think maybe that's something I need to do if I want to do better and I think this is such a great place to do that. ATAR notes has seriously been so helpful over the last twelve months and going to lectures hosted by the both of you last year and at the beginning of the year have proved invaluable as well so thank you for that.
I really appreciate it guys  :D

So glad we could help! More lectures and other events in June/July, make sure you come up and say hi! ;D