Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:58 pm

Author Topic: Missed out on pre-reqs? Bridging courses are available (Swinburne and Monash)  (Read 4940 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
If you have specific questions about your options, you can ask them here or contact the uni directly.

Monash
Math methods bridging course
- For those who complete math methods but score between 20-24
Relevant courses:
•   Engineering
•   Science
•   Business and Economics
•   Information Technology
•   Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science
•   Law (for Law double degrees)

Swinburne
Math methods bridging course
- Requires satisfactory completion of 1/2 methods or 3/4 further
Relevant courses:
•   aviation
•   engineering
•   information and communication technology

Further math bridging course
- Requires satisfactory completion of any Units 1/2 math.

N.B. There are other ways to get into courses, for example, transferring between degrees, completing a different qualification (e.g. diploma, associate degree). However, for the purpose of this list I have only included bridging courses.

These were the only uni's that I could find bridging courses for - If you know of any others on offer let me know and I'll add them.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
+6
Linking this in the After Year 12 Q + A thread. I'd +1 you again if I could.

Some other institutes to add here that hold a bunch of bridging courses*:
- Deakin College (link here)
- Monash College (link here)
- La Trobe College (link here)

Some programs with bridging programs:
- UniLearn - can lead to Melbourne University

I'll end the list here or I'll be here all day.

* These aren't necessarily just ones that you study the subject you didn't do so well in.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

TheAspiringDoc

What if you just miss out based on your English literature mark even if it scales above 30 but your raw was below 30? Asking about Monash.

Thanks!

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
What if you just miss out based on your English literature mark even if it scales above 30 but your raw was below 30? Asking about Monash.

Thanks!
It's the raw score that matters not the scaled. I did try and find English bridging courses but everything I found was for international students so I'm not aware of any. Potentially may have to enrol in a different degree and transfer, but should probably talk to the uni directly unless someone else here knows.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
+4
Bumping this thread from last year for the Class of 2019, as there's going to be similar questions.
VTAC Info Thread

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
+6
Just wanted to bump this thread and mention that Monash no longer offers a methods bridging course. See edit below. Should you not be able to satisfy the methods prerequisite with the bridging course, a way you can satisfy the prerequisite is to choose another course that doesn't have the methods prerequisite and take the unit MTH1010 (equivalent of MM 3&4), then do an internal transfer after a semester or year. Be sure to have a look at the requirements to transfer into said course (e.g. minimum WAM and/or other prerequisite subjects you may need to take).

EDIT: It seems like Monash has reintroduced their bridging course for Methods but it cannot be counted as satisfying the prerequisite for all courses. Your best bet is to contact Monash to ask if you can take the bridging course to satisfy the Methods prerequisite if you're doing a course not listed on the page. The list of "applicable courses" excludes the double degrees from Monash Business School that include Engineering. See here

UniMelb has a bridging course for methods, Calculus and Probability Online. See more information about it here.

Good luck and all the best to those who have received / will be receiving their ATARs :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 05:12:45 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
Just wanted to bump this thread and mention that Monash no longer offers a methods bridging course. A way you can satisfy the prerequisite is to choose another course that doesn't have the methods prerequisite and take the unit MTH1010 (equivalent of MM 3&4), then do an internal transfer after a semester or year.

UniMelb has a bridging course for methods, Calculus and Probability Online. See more information about it here.

Good luck and all the best to those who have received / will be receiving their ATARs :)
Why does Monash not offer a bridging course anymore?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
+2
Why does Monash not offer a bridging course anymore?
The most likely reasons are usually that there wasn’t a lot of demand or not enough funding for it.
VTAC Info Thread

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Just wanted to bump this thread and mention that Monash no longer offers a methods bridging course. A way you can satisfy the prerequisite is to choose another course that doesn't have the methods prerequisite and take the unit MTH1010 (equivalent of MM 3&4), then do an internal transfer after a semester or year.

Hey i'm really confused rn I want to study Biomedical science at Monash but didn't study methods, I spoke to someone at Monash and they told me to apply for the maths bridging course and I possibly can receive an offer for biomedical science upon completing it. So the program is still running:-\?? I'll link it here: https://www.monash.edu/business/maths-bridging/pdb1042

Also, does anyone know anything about the program? I'm starting it this week so any tips would help!

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Hey,

If someone at Monash told you that is the bridging course, then they must be still running it (but not through Monash College a anymore it seems). Thanks for letting us know and sorry about the confusion!

The only information I can find about the bridging course is what's on the website (the 1 hour daily workshop and 2 hour lectures). It looks like interspersed with those are five minor assessments (most likely quizzes / problem sets on each of the five topics, Functions and graphs, Algebra, Calculus and Probability and statistics) and a final test at the end.

Good luck!
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

alexandra.vo

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
+1
Hey,

If someone at Monash told you that is the bridging course, then they must be still running it (but not through Monash College a anymore it seems). Thanks for letting us know and sorry about the confusion!

The only information I can find about the bridging course is what's on the website (the 1 hour daily workshop and 2 hour lectures). It looks like interspersed with those are five minor assessments (most likely quizzes / problem sets on each of the five topics, Functions and graphs, Algebra, Calculus and Probability and statistics) and a final test at the end.

Good luck!

Ok great! Thanks for letting me know, I'll definitely comment about how I found the course once completed :)

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
I'm really confused because there is no mention of pharmacy as a course that is eligible for bridging. I've found conflicting information as the inquiry I filed with Monash suggested that the only way to do a bachelor of pharmacy is to complete a maths unit and transfer. The official Monash document containing all of the available courses that accept a maths bridging course is from 2017-2018 so I'm not sure if I can trust it.
  please help. :(
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
+1
I'm really confused because there is no mention of pharmacy as a course that is eligible for bridging. I've found conflicting information as the inquiry I filed with Monash suggested that the only way to do a bachelor of pharmacy is to complete a maths unit and transfer. The official Monash document containing all of the available courses that accept a maths bridging course is from 2017-2018 so I'm not sure if I can trust it.
  please help. :(
I'd probably ask Monash themselves about pathways for the most updated version. Let them know what you've found and ask if it's changed.
VTAC Info Thread