Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:30:00 am

Author Topic: The woes of university  (Read 2109 times)  Share 

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
The woes of university
« on: November 14, 2007, 06:38:20 pm »
University is thought of the place where we require independence, and there's the common sentiment that those who goto private schools will not do so well because they're no longer spoon-fed. A good example was the exam I took today: Quantitative Methods 1. There were no past exam resources available, and the exam writer was obviously a bit lazy:

Quote from: "QM1 exam"
"Fully interpret the results of this regression data" [20 marks]

:lol:

In first year, they still take great care of you. QM1 was one of the rare subjects in first year to have no past exams available. I suspect it'll become more and more like this in later year subjects though. I hope I don't get heaps of timetable clashes!

brendan

The woes of university
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:42:10 pm »
the exam writer must have been really lazy thats just pathetic. good thing i dont have to do qm1 ^^

Despondent

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
The woes of university
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 01:32:52 am »
A lot of subjects don't have past exams available (eg. many chem eng subjects). It's luck of the draw I suppose. But aren't commerce subjects scaled? In that case just do better than everyone else and you'll be fine. No one (well I do for some subjects but that's a personal thing) cares about raw scores anyway, only the final one you receive matters.

Stats...*shudders*

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
The woes of university
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:55:49 am »
Quote from: "Despondent"
A lot of subjects don't have past exams available (eg. many chem eng subjects). It's luck of the draw I suppose. But aren't commerce subjects scaled? In that case just do better than everyone else and you'll be fine. No one (well I do for some subjects but that's a personal thing) cares about raw scores anyway, only the final one you receive matters.

Stats...*shudders*

You did/do Chemical Engineering? Cool :)

Bad about the past exams though :(

Despondent

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
The woes of university
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 01:21:46 pm »
I do mech eng. It's just that a while ago I was looking through past papers and saw the lack of papers for chem eng.

squance

The woes of university
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:31:30 pm »
Quote from: "Despondent"
I do mech eng. It's just that a while ago I was looking through past papers and saw the lack of papers for chem eng.

Is chem eng hard??? Is mech eng hard too? As in study wise....

Despondent

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
The woes of university
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 01:57:06 pm »
It's hard if you don't have little aptitude for the material that's being tested and you don't do much study. But I guess that's just stating the obvious.:D

I've found many mech eng exams to be rather difficult but that's really only because I spend most of my study time on my maths subjects and only really study for eng subjects in my spare time.

Don't worry too much though, generally the exams (which make up most of your assessment) are pretty straight forward if you've put in the work during the semester.