Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:29:15 pm

Author Topic: Magnetic Flux Question  (Read 649 times)  Share 

dream chaser

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
Magnetic Flux Question
« on: September 25, 2019, 11:45:03 am »
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Does the number of turns affect the amount of magnetic flux? I know the VCE Physics formula sheet has flux = B x A, but if there is more than one turn in the alternator, can flux = N x B x A where N= number of turns?

So if a question asks you to find the average emf in the coil, when finding the change in flux, will I just make flux= B x A. Then when I use the average emf formula, then I put N=10 of what ever as EMF = =N x (change in flux/ change in time)?

All replies will be much appreciated. Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 11:53:44 am by dream chaser »

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Re: Magnetic Flux Question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 02:44:10 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Does the number of turns affect the amount of magnetic flux? I know the VCE Physics formula sheet has flux = B x A, but if there is more than one turn in the alternator, can flux = N x B x A where N= number of turns?

So if a question asks you to find the average emf in the coil, when finding the change in flux, will I just make flux= B x A. Then when I use the average emf formula, then I put N=10 of what ever as EMF = =N x (change in flux/ change in time)?

I think the process you described is correct, but someone feel free to correct me.
So I think number of turns doesn't affect the magnetic flux but does affect EMF

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Magnetic Flux Question
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 05:18:30 pm »
+2
Hi Guys,

Thats right! Flux really is a measurement of how much feild is passing through an area - so the number of turns does not change the amount of field passing through the area made by the coil.
And yes, you are right about the formula for calculating the emf induced in a coil (faraday's law) - I think it was a typo, but note that N has a negative coefficient.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point