Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:25:37 am

Author Topic: Quick Help for my language analysis essay please  (Read 3631 times)  Share 

(Noname):):):)

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Quick Help for my language analysis essay please
« on: June 02, 2021, 10:52:25 pm »
Hi AN,

I have a upcoming exam in two days for my Language Analysis SAC (English Unit 1/2).

I know that I am saying this in a very short time (and I apologise in advance too), but if someone has the time, can you please check over my Language Analysis Essay that I have written for one of the articles. I have attached the article and have typed my essay below. It's not finished, but I think it should be enough for someone to give me any pointers and quick tips on how I can improve for the actual exam.

(If you don't have time to read it, any handy tips for the exam are also welcome! :))

Article: https://www.theage.com.au/national/line-up-line-up-for-the-jab-even-if-you-re-a-hypochondriac-20210601-p57x2b.html
----
Since the announcement of the side effects of the COVID-19 vaccinations, Victorians have hesitated to "take the jab". In response, journalist Julie Szego writes an opinion article, "Live up, live up for the jab - even if you're a hypochondriac", empathising with them yet justifying why it is necessary to get vaccinated.

The author opens with the phrase "Paranoid hypochondriac". The figurative language invites the reader to continue reading, therefore making their writing more interesting. Furthermore, the reader is positioned to see the issue of the vaccination from the perspective of a hypochondriac, implying to the audience that they can relate to their feelings. The cynical, juxtaposed words, "potentially lethal, if ultra-rare" highlights to the reader that it is insensible to fear the AZ jab despite its side effects as they are very rare. This provokes the audience to agree with the author's views. By using the word "potentially", the author reminds to the audience of the uncertainty of the side-effects, thus outweighing its harms for its benefits. The visual implies that the vaccine is truly reliable, as seen from the long queue waiting outside the hub. By focusing on the expressions of the people facing the Hospital Hub, readers are encouraged to do the same. Moreover, the image placates the reader of fear towards AZ, by taking it from the angle where the people are seen moving inside the hub, and so making the vaccination hub seem more welcoming.

Then, the article moves onto the statistics of the jab, "roughly six in a million AZ recipients" developing side-effects. The figure, "six in a million", underliens the minimal risks involved in taking AZ. Here, Szego shifts her tone to disappointing, at Victorians, thus intending them to feel guilt. The attack forces readers to take action for the situation that Victorians are in. The humour laced in the phrase, "devout worshipper at the temple of science" lightens the mood of the author's writing. It also gives the opportunity for the reader to join in the joke. This prompts them to inadvertently agree to the statements of the author of being vaccinated. Later, the article reasons with logic, the cause of Victorians feeling fear - the media. The journalist reiterates her arguments against the side-effects of the vaccine. Juxtaposing "Tattslotto" and "clotting syndrome" reinforces the reader of the unlikelihood of facing any harms as a result of the vaccine. The popularity of the Tattslotto makes it easier for readers to relate to the difficult odds of experiencing the side effects of the vaccine for themselves.
-----

That's all I have done so far. I know that there are many things to improve, but if there are some major things that you can point out, that would be great.
Thanks!! 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 09:54:59 am by (Noname):):):) »

(Noname):):):)

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Quick Help for my language analysis essay please
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 06:37:22 pm »
Anyone?