Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:46:51 am

Author Topic: Standard English Holiday Work  (Read 3695 times)  Share 

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Standard English Holiday Work
« on: December 11, 2020, 07:05:52 pm »
Hello! Has anyone got suggestions for what I should be doing in my holidays in order to work toward a Band 6?

I was thinking of beginning a creative and drafting, editing and perfecting a Band 6 essay regarding my Common Module text, but then I also want to get ahead on my text for Term 2 - how would I do this?

Thanks heaps!
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them." Jane Austen.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Standard English Holiday Work
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:25:08 pm »
+4
Hello! Has anyone got suggestions for what I should be doing in my holidays in order to work toward a Band 6?

I was thinking of beginning a creative and drafting, editing and perfecting a Band 6 essay regarding my Common Module text, but then I also want to get ahead on my text for Term 2 - how would I do this?

Thanks heaps!

Hey, 0447940204!

I would highly recommend striking the right balance between revising the content you have covered this past term and getting a head start on next term's work. It would ideal for you to spend a good amount of time going through your Common Module prescribed text and making some kind of notes (revision summaries, TEA tables etc.) to consolidate all your content and fill in any gaps there might be in your knowledge and understanding of the text. You might want to schedule in two or three days during the break to attempt practice questions with full-length essay responses. This will help you to better simulate exam conditions which mirror your Trials and HSC assessments. I made a bank of practice questions here on the forums if you were looking for some to attempt  :)

You should also get thinking about Module C if that is your next topic. Start searching for a generic topic/idea that you want to write about and then think about how you might transfer them into creative, discursive, persuasive and informative writing forms. For example, if you wanted to look at climate change as your main concept, you could write anything from a short story set in a dystopian landscape to a speech delivered by a hypothetical speaker at a public, peaceful protest. After the 2020 paper, it would be wiser to have a broader approach to how you look at Module C, than prepare and memorise a creative, only to get thrown a super specific stimulus asking for a persuasive instead!

Finally, I think getting a head start on your prescribed text for next term would be a really strong move. With six weeks off, you have plenty of time to invest properly into the next text you have so that when you come back to school, you can focus on analysing the text and producing responses for it. You should be able to get through your text/s in about two weeks if you read/watch a bit of it everyday for about an hour or two. If you happen to know what it is, let me know and I might be able to offer more targetted advice on the best way to go about it :D Hope this helps and feel free to follow up with further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:09:39 am »
Hey, 0447940204!

I would highly recommend striking the right balance between revising the content you have covered this past term and getting a head start on next term's work. It would ideal for you to spend a good amount of time going through your Common Module prescribed text and making some kind of notes (revision summaries, TEA tables etc.) to consolidate all your content and fill in any gaps there might be in your knowledge and understanding of the text. You might want to schedule in two or three days during the break to attempt practice questions with full-length essay responses. This will help you to better simulate exam conditions which mirror your Trials and HSC assessments. I made a bank of practice questions here on the forums if you were looking for some to attempt  :)

You should also get thinking about Module C if that is your next topic. Start searching for a generic topic/idea that you want to write about and then think about how you might transfer them into creative, discursive, persuasive and informative writing forms. For example, if you wanted to look at climate change as your main concept, you could write anything from a short story set in a dystopian landscape to a speech delivered by a hypothetical speaker at a public, peaceful protest. After the 2020 paper, it would be wiser to have a broader approach to how you look at Module C, than prepare and memorise a creative, only to get thrown a super specific stimulus asking for a persuasive instead!

Finally, I think getting a head start on your prescribed text for next term would be a really strong move. With six weeks off, you have plenty of time to invest properly into the next text you have so that when you come back to school, you can focus on analysing the text and producing responses for it. You should be able to get through your text/s in about two weeks if you read/watch a bit of it everyday for about an hour or two. If you happen to know what it is, let me know and I might be able to offer more targetted advice on the best way to go about it :D Hope this helps and feel free to follow up with further questions!

Angelina  ;D

Thanks a million for this!!!

My text is a series of texts from Henry Lawson ‘The Drover’s Wife’, ‘The Union Buries Its Dead’, ‘Shooting the Moon’, ‘Our Pipes’, ‘The Loaded Dog.'

I am thinking of analyzing them and writing summaries, themes etc. for them, so knowing the best way to do this would be awesome.

Thx again!
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them." Jane Austen.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 05:28:31 pm »
+1

Thanks a million for this!!!

My text is a series of texts from Henry Lawson ‘The Drover’s Wife’, ‘The Union Buries Its Dead’, ‘Shooting the Moon’, ‘Our Pipes’, ‘The Loaded Dog.'

I am thinking of analyzing them and writing summaries, themes etc. for them, so knowing the best way to do this would be awesome.

Thx again!

Hey again!

For your Module A texts, it would definitely be a good idea to read through all of the texts first without any analysis in mind. Once you have, give them another read through so you can effectively summarise them without any gaps. Your final step would be to start annotating and analysing them in relation to the module which is Language, Identity and Culture. You have multiple texts so it would be a good idea to collect your textual evidence and group them under common themes  :) Some great ones for Lawson include class/status, empowerment/disempowerment, gender, inequality, norms and power/authority. Hope that helps and that your 2021 has started off well! Feel free to follow up with more questions if you have any  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music