Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 05:18:06 pm

Author Topic: HELP! Textual Comparison for Advanced English  (Read 1395 times)

neha.singh4

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
HELP! Textual Comparison for Advanced English
« on: October 31, 2020, 05:35:51 pm »
Hello!

Currently in school we are studying 1984 for the Common Module. As apart of our assessment task, we are required to do a textual comparison with a different text type (eg. film, short stories, poems). I would really appreciate it if you could drop some suggestions of what sophisication texts I should use to do a comparison.

Also it would be great help if you could let me know the best way to tackle this essay question:
"To what extent does the exploration of human experiences in 1984 and a related text of your own choosing deepen your understanding of how texts represent individual and human experiences?" 

Thank youuu!!  :D :D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: HELP! Textual Comparison for Advanced English
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 11:10:31 am »
+2
Hello!

Currently in school we are studying 1984 for the Common Module. As apart of our assessment task, we are required to do a textual comparison with a different text type (eg. film, short stories, poems). I would really appreciate it if you could drop some suggestions of what sophisication texts I should use to do a comparison.

Also it would be great help if you could let me know the best way to tackle this essay question:
"To what extent does the exploration of human experiences in 1984 and a related text of your own choosing deepen your understanding of how texts represent individual and human experiences?" 

Thank youuu!!  :D :D

Hey, neha.singh4!

Welcome to the forums  :D We have a list of possible related texts on the forums which I've linked here that you might like to have a peruse through! There are some recommended specifically for 1984 but you could also venture out and explore some of the others as well which share common themes with your prescribed text. What matters is that you can draw connections, as well as facilitate comparison, between them in relation to the human experience, not so much how similar they are to 1984!

As for the essay question you have there, you might want to structure your response like this:

Introduction
Body 1 Theme 1- PT+RT (Individual human experiences)
Body 2 Theme 2- PT+RT (Collective human experiences)
Body 3 Theme 3- PT+RT (Individual and collective human experiences)
Conclusion

If your school prefers a non-integrated approach, then you could go for something like this:

Introduction
Body 1 Theme 1- PT (Individual human experiences)
Body 2 Theme 1- RT (Individual human experiences)
Body 3 Theme 2- PT (Collective human experiences)
Body 4 Theme 2- RT  (Collective human experiences)
Conclusion

This allows you to have a balanced discussion of both individual and collective human experiences, as well as enough themes to work with. Hopefully that helps but if you wanted to more advice, feel free to follow up with further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music