Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

July 30, 2021, 05:40:52 am

Author Topic: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.  (Read 53741 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7358
Re: I received a 99+ ATAR and a perfect GPA - ask me anything.
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2021, 11:34:13 am »
+3
My apologies if this has already been asked but what did you find more difficult personally, obtaining an ATAR of 99+ or maintaining a High GPA at Uni?

Good question, and I'm not really sure thinking about it now, to be honest. Some thoughts:

* I feel like high school was more competitive in a way, because I was surrounded by a lot of ATAR rhetoric, and there was unknowns like scaling and moderation etc. floating around. The ATAR is literally a ranking system, whereas I felt that was less the case at uni, so I guess uni was kinda easier on that front.

* At uni, I could sort of just do things my own way. Like I'd go to lectures if I wanted to, study by myself and completely anonymously - stuff like that I personally preferred.

* I'm not really sure how to compare time investment, because it's very different. I studied straight Arts, and I don't think my uni experience would necessarily be consistent with other people studying other things (or even other people studying the same things). For example, I had very few contact hours, which is completely different to a lot of uni courses. If I had to guess, I probably would have invested about equal effort into each.

* Socially, I found uni way harder initially (first year or two particularly), which isn't directly relevant to grades but is also very relevant in terms of the overall experience and motivation to study etc.

So to answer your question, I'm honesty not sure - even after thinking about it in some depth. They were just very different things for me, even though they're similar insofar as being related to studying and grades.

I'm sorry I couldn't give a more definitive answer! 😬

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2021, 07:47:36 am »
+1
Hi,
Just wondering what raw scores you got in your subjects to get such a high Atar. I'm feeling unsure about around what raw scores you would need to get in the above 99's. I know scaling does come into play but hearing yours would be interesting if you don't mind sharing.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7358
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2021, 10:51:14 am »
+4
Hi,
Just wondering what raw scores you got in your subjects to get such a high Atar. I'm feeling unsure about around what raw scores you would need to get in the above 99's. I know scaling does come into play but hearing yours would be interesting if you don't mind sharing.

Hey 2024289! Welcome to ATAR Notes - how's it going? :)

I guess the first thing to note is that I studied in Victoria (VCE), so my eventual subject/study scores were out of 50. That won't be the case for everybody reading.

The second thing to note is that I honestly can't remember my exact scores. It's very possible I've answered a similar question earlier in this thread, and the response I'm about to provide might even contradict that post - just for full transparency, the results I'll list below are based solely on my memory on this specific day, so might not be accurate.

The third thing to note is that my raw scores for SACs throughout the year don't really matter, and aren't all that relevant to you or anybody else going through VCE (or HSC, or QCE, or WACE, or whatever else). That's not to say they're of absolutely no interest, but you've touched on the concept of scaling - and things like that are really important. Ultimately, if I averaged 70% throughout the year for a subject, that's not necessarily the same as somebody else averaging 70% throughout the year at a different school, or in a different year. It's practically impossible to accurately compare raw results without further consideration for variables like school, rankings, cohort, eventual exam performance, and so on. I wrote a little bit about that here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to please take the below with a big ol' grain of salt, because I honestly don't think my raw results mean much, or are even very useful as a guide. But in saying that:

→ HHD [raw study score 50]: I dropped some marks throughout the year but never too many in any given SAC. I'd estimate I was sitting on  about a 95% average.

→ Psych [raw study score 48]: probably more like 90-95%

→ Business Management [raw study score 48]: somewhere in the 85-95% range

→ Further Maths [raw study score 45]: maybe 85%-90%

→ English Language [raw study score 44]: maybe 85-90%

→ VCD [raw study score 44]: I was sitting on 100% - didn't drop any marks through SACs or internal coursework

But again, please note that these raw SAC marks don't mean too much in isolation! I really can't emphasise that enough, and I don't think there's a certain "cut off mark" for internal raw scores to be in line for a 99+ ATAR - for the reasons outlined above (and others).

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.