Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:28:46 am

Author Topic: HIGH SCHOOL SURVEY RESULTS - ATAR Notes - Parts 1+2 now available!  (Read 2224 times)  Share 

ATAR Notes Official

• Administrator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +207
+9

We recently surveyed more than 1,000 high school students across Australia, focusing on a wide range of issues centred on the high school experience, university expectations, and decision-making factors. This is the first in a series of articles analysing the results and, therefore, what our students are telling us about their feelings and preferences. There are a lot more results to look forward to!

Many of you on the forums would have completed the survey, but irrespective of whether or not you took part, you might be interested in the results!

We will be releasing an article series with the results over the coming period. The first article - part one of the results - is now available!

To read the first article, click here. It focuses on four questions from the survey:

Do you think there is too much emphasis on your ATAR/high school results through high school?
Do you think high schools should do more to educate students about what to expect from university?
Overall, how much have you enjoyed your high school studies?
Do you think you will enjoy university more than high school?

What do you think of the results? Any surprises? :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:06:35 pm by ATAR Notes Official »
PMs on this account are not monitored. Please contact us here.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: HIGH SCHOOL SURVEY RESULTS - ATAR Notes - Part 1 now available!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 12:13:24 pm »
+7
Think the question about high schools doing more to educate about what to expect from uni is interesting. ~92% of students saying high schools should be doing more in this area - but is that really the responsibility of the school?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 03:45:39 pm »
Think the question about high schools doing more to educate about what to expect from uni is interesting. ~92% of students saying high schools should be doing more in this area - but is that really the responsibility of the school?
Given that high school students are presumably used to being spoon fed information to a greater or lesser information, possibly. If that's so, though, I'd think that pointing students towards an information page on what to expect would be the extent of reasonableness to expect. It does feel rather like going in blind, though - I, at any rate, have no idea what to expect, and that's with heids to help me research!
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »
Given that high school students are presumably used to being spoon fed information to a greater or lesser information, possibly. If that's so, though, I'd think that pointing students towards an information page on what to expect would be the extent of reasonableness to expect. It does feel rather like going in blind, though - I, at any rate, have no idea what to expect, and that's with heids to help me research!

Hard to know where to draw the line, though. Should we also then reasonably be expecting schools to educate on other (non-uni) career options/pathways post-high school?

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 05:25:58 pm »
Hard to know where to draw the line, though. Should we also then reasonably be expecting schools to educate on other (non-uni) career options/pathways post-high school?
I think, again, have some sort of information page for such things and just point the students to it, multiple times through the year maybe. So that people know where to find what to expect. But I dunno.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 05:40:54 pm »
I think, again, have some sort of information page for such things and just point the students to it, multiple times through the year maybe. So that people know where to find what to expect. But I dunno.

Yeah, a hard balance to strike.

I agree, though - I felt like I had no idea what uni would be like before actually starting it!

ATAR Notes Official

• Administrator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +207
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 02:06:21 pm »
+5

To read the first article, click here. It focuses on three questions from the survey:

What ATAR are you aiming for?
What ATAR do you expect you will receive?
Knowing what you know now, would you still choose the same high school subjects?

What do you think of the results? Any surprises? :)
PMs on this account are not monitored. Please contact us here.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
Re: HIGH SCHOOL SURVEY RESULTS - ATAR Notes - Parts 1+2 now available!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 04:15:32 pm »
+1
Would've thought the ATAR Aim/Expectations would be higher (not too much maybe just a few points) but obviously would depend on the sample of students taken.

Looking forward to the results on:
→ Preferred universities and areas of study
→ Job prospects and factors impacting job prospects

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 04:28:04 pm »
+1
Would've thought the ATAR Aim/Expectations would be higher (not too much maybe just a few points) but obviously would depend on the sample of students taken.

Same, especially since the ATAR Notes community would likely have more high achievers simply due to sample bias?

Or maybe it's just that people are setting expectations based on degree requirements and it's all balancing out (eg. an Arts degree of 80 and a Law degree of 99.95 would balance out to around a 90).
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 04:35:32 pm »
+3

Same, especially since the ATAR Notes community would likely have more high achievers simply due to sample bias?

Or maybe it's just that people are setting expectations based on degree requirements and it's all balancing out (eg. an Arts degree of 80 and a Law degree of 99.95 would balance out to around a 90).

Actually, I've noticed that (particularly in recent years), there's been a massive rise in the number of students coming here just hoping to do averagely (note - average ATAR is ~70 in Victoria [though this does change from year to year], so this is what I mean when I say wanting to do averagely). Students who are hoping to just meet the methods pre-req of a bunch of courses, students who are trying to understand the base material because they're struggling, as opposed to what it has been in the past (and is still portrayed a lot) in which pretty much everyone on here wanted to do med and get them sweep of raw 50s - where coming in with an ATAR of 91 was seen as bad, because everyone else legitimately WAS getting 99.95s (in fact, the mods at the time were a little uneasy by the fact that were so many people on the forums doing incredibly well, then getting bashful about it and making those with still amazing, but comparatively worse, scores feel bad).

Maybe it's not as noticeable to people who haven't disappeared for a few years and come back like I have, but there's definitely been a culture shift and a large amount of people who are coming here with more basic questions and desires than the typical "get 50s, get 99.95, do med" culture that we're used to, and I think these stats capture that idea very well - hence the number being lower than you both expected.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 04:43:47 pm »
-snip-
Hmm, I agree that there has definitely been a shift over the past few years especially since about 2017 onwards. Median ATARs of AN in the past have been around 98+ and have gone down now. However, I still think the aims would be a little higher than the survey suggests.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:45:45 pm by Sine »

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 04:45:46 pm »
+2
Is it possible then to take a survey after results come out, so that for the same people you can get the picture of aim-expectation-actual? It could be interesting.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 04:47:34 pm »
+2
Hmm, I agree that there has definitely been a shift over the past few years especially since about 2017 onwards. Median ATARs of AN in the past have been around 98+ and have gone down now. However, I still think the aims would be a little higher than the survey suggests.

IMO those who post on the forums still wouldn't be reflective of overall AN users, though.

Is it possible then to take a survey after results come out, so that for the same people you can get the picture of aim-expectation-actual? It could be interesting.

Yeah, this would be super interesting.