Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:38:04 pm

Author Topic: CSP in doctor of veterinary medicine  (Read 1671 times)  Share 

annaoh_2003

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
CSP in doctor of veterinary medicine
« on: April 27, 2021, 06:10:35 pm »
Hi, I’m currently studying year 12 but feeling a bit doubtful in my chances of receiving a place in the DVM due to the competition. I had a visit to melb uni yesterday and pretty much was informed that a full fee place would be very difficult for me to pay off even with HECS. My question is how difficult is it to obtain a CSP and what would I need to do to get a place?

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: CSP in doctor of veterinary medicine
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 09:44:09 pm »
+1
Hi!

A bit of a late reply but I hope this can still help you or anyone else looking at studying DVM.

There are several ways you can apply for a CSP. Since you are currently in year 12, the most straightforward option for you right now is to apply for Bachelor of Science / Doctor of Veterinary Medicine through VTAC. It is one of unimelb's graduate degree packages that guarantees you a commonwealth supported place for DVM as long as you meet the prereqs (98.50 minimum ATAR and 25+ study score in methods). It will also guarantee you a place in the accelerated DVM course, which takes 3 years instead of 4.

If you received an ATAR below 98.50 but above (iirc) 95 you will be guaranteed a full-fee place.

The other option is to apply once you're in uni, though this is *very* competitive. They look at things such as your grades in your science subjects (weighted 75:25 for final and penultimate years) as well as a situational judgement test, a new selection criteria, which accounts for 1/4 of your selection score. You also need to submit a 500 word personal statement. Trying for a CSP in DVM in uni is definitely very competitive, so I would highly recommend you trying your best to get the guarantee through VTAC if you can. It also really relieves you of some pressure in uni too.

Grade-wise for a CSP (through graduate entry) you would most likely need to have a H1 to be competitive. I've heard that generally a competitive WAM would be at least 85 (though I'm not too sure about this). Other things you can do to increase your chances include having work or volunteering experience that you can talk about in your personal statement (eg. being an animal attendant at a vet clinic). Some do a veterinary nursing internship at Greencross Vets which looks really good on your application.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU