Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 22, 2021, 09:48:17 am

Author Topic: hairs9's fancy science degree journal  (Read 1099 times)

hairs9

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +7
hairs9's fancy science degree journal
« on: January 14, 2021, 12:47:06 pm »
+15
I have received my offer for a bachelor of science advanced research degree at Monash and thought it was a perfect time to start this journal.

Why Advanced Research? Why Monash?
I chose this course over a regular science degree for a few reasons.
1. Having a higher atar requirement gave me something to strive for in year 12 and I felt like I was actually using my high atar for something
2. The ability to accelerate units easier. This is especially useful because I have already done 2 first year maths units through Monash and I don't want to have to jump through as many hoops to be able to do second year subjects this year
3. All of the small perks like a camp(fingers crossed it actually happens), study area and exclusive subjects.
4. The mandatory double major(I know you can do it in a science degree but it's nice having everything planned out)

None of those reasons involve research which would probably be the main reason why people choose this degree. I'm not sure if I want to do research. I probably would not want to go into academia but it wouldn't be bad doing research for a company. I'm hoping this degree will give me clarity about whether research is something I want to pursue. High school doesn't really give that much opportunity for research(especially in fields like maths) so I'm hoping to understand more of what it's like.

I chose Monash over Melbourne(even though it'd be easier to enroll with my prior credit) because Monash offers a double major for science and Melbourne doesn't. Also because it's closer(but pretty much inaccessible by public transport, at least until the rail loop gets built).

Why the name?
I have called this journal my fancy science degree journal because that's how I refer to it. I feel like constantly saying bachelor of science advanced research is long-winded and pretentious, and no one really understands what it is.

Enrolment/major:
I got my offer at about 7 am(if I knew it was that early I would've set my alarm). I enrolled as soon as I woke up, which was at about 8. Or at least enrolled in the first step(it has been 4 and a half hours yet still no email from Monash to set up my password). But at least it's given me plenty of time to think about my subject selections/course map(although I have been thinking about that for years because I'm that pedantic).
I would like to do a double major in mathematics(maybe applied mathematics?) and chemistry and I would probably like to do my honours year in chemistry. Chemistry is more my 'fun' major and I feel like it has more possibilities for good in the world(in terms of things like climate action). However, I don't know if there are a lot of jobs in it. Maths on the other hand I still really enjoy but I know I can probably get a job at the end of it(based on my research on SEEK because once again, I'm pedantic, a lot of jobs in things like data analytics want someone with an analytical degree, which includes maths). I'm leaning towards applied maths because I hate proofs and am not as interested in the probability side. I don't really know much about maths research, especially applied maths research but maybe it will end up being something I enjoy.

Subjects:
Like I said earlier, I did two university level subjects last year at Melbourne University, based on their first year maths sequence, which is different to Monash's first year sequence. According to the person I talked to on open day, I should be able to get credit for a first year maths sequence(MTH1030 and a first year maths elective). Because the subjects are different, I'm pretty sure MTH2021 is a similar subject to the linear algebra I did at Melbourne(except only the hard parts :/ maybe it will get easier the second time around?)
But anyway, before I can even get credit for the subjects, I have to enroll in subjects, so I guess I'll do the first year sequence for maths and add a couple of psych subjects?

But, my course plan for first year(once I hopefully get credit) looks something like this:
CHM1051     FIT1045     MTH2010     MTH2021
CHM1052     FIT1008    MTH2032     MTH2051

I am very excited for the advanced chemistry units. I hope that the ATAR/study score cut off means that everyone in class will be more dedicated and not wanting to mess around a lot during labs.
I chose computer science subjects because I enjoy coding and want to learn properly how to do it, especially since so many STEM jobs require it. I could've done advanced subjects but I'm semi-new to coding and also I feel like there can be a toxic computer science culture, especially for people that think they're better than everyone else and I'm trying to stick clear of this.
I chose the mandatory subjects for applied maths(all the third year subjects I want to do have different prerequisites). I didn't choose the advanced linear algebra unit, partially because I'm not sure if I qualify, but also because I do not want to extend myself in that subject.

I guess that's about everything. I'm hoping to push my electives into third year because I'd like to study abroad and I think that would make my life easier. This course only gives a maximum 4 non-scientific electives anyway, but I might just do more science subjects instead. I'm trying to avoid doing too many essays so the more subjects I find without essays, the better.
2019-Methods [45], Psychology [41]
2020-English [38], Chemistry [43], Spesh [43], UMEP maths [4.5], ATAR: 99.05
2021: Bachelor of Science - Advanced(Research) at Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3509
Re: hairs9's fancy science degree journal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:10:07 pm »
+7
Hey :)

Congratulations!

Last year I was the president of the Monash Advanced Science and Science Scholars Society (mass^3) & I know that the president this year (who is in your degree) really wants to help the first years have a sense of community. The advanced science common room can be pretty easy to miss given there are a few signs with 19 Rainforest Walk on them. It's where the ramp is in the undercover space in front of the flying fox sculptures (they look like metal bats on the wall) at the first year bio labs on rainforest walk (hopefully that description helps once you're actually there!). You'll need your student id in order to get in.

I personally did find that CHM1051 and CHM1052 had good group work & people actually contributed etc.

Best of luck for your uni journey!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1283
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 01:27:16 pm »
+7
Oh wow this is strange lmao.

Waddup, I did this course way back in 2014-2017 (was MASS^3 president in 2016, that thing that Bri mentioned above, though I think I'm now officially part of the "forgotten" group of cubians lmao. Highly recommend joining, it's a good time). I also majored in chemistry and maths - I even took it one step further and got a double major in chemistry and a major in mathematical statistics. Let me know if you have questions - my knowledge is slightly out of date, but I can still help you if your questions are opinion on chem stuff or what maths subjects will complement chemistry. (speaking of: if at any point you think you need some stats to help you with chemistry, do NOT do STA1010 - do MTH2232 instead. They cover the exact some statistical tests, but MTH2232 does it a lot more rigorously and is way more interesting of a unit, and not that much harder - basically not harder at all if you have some solid maths background, with the bonus of actually understanding the maths behind everything. I also just generally recommend MTH2222 - it's a basic probability unit, and it's just generally a good idea to do the basic probability, applied, and pure maths units if you're interested in doing lots of maths. You've already got the basic applied unit, MTH2032, and the basic pure unit was probably on your radar already - MTH2140/3140. I recommend the third year unit, because third year units are more important for major requirements, and from what I hear all the content is the same, just that 3140 has like, 2 harder questions in the exam or something)

Good luck with everything!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1952
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:29 pm »
+5
congratulations on your offer!

tbf I think even in the non-advanced science units most people are pretty good at getting their work done.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7313
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 04:21:44 pm »
Great to see this journal, hairs9. :)

On less of a subject level and more of a uni experience in general level, what are you most and least looking forward to in 2021? I hope that question makes sense haha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

hairs9

• Trailblazer
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:49:20 am »
+1
Thank you to everyone who is reading this and/or responding!

Great to see this journal, hairs9. :)

On less of a subject level and more of a uni experience in general level, what are you most and least looking forward to in 2021? I hope that question makes sense haha.
I'm looking forward to joining clubs and hopefully meeting new people that I can vibe with. I'm not looking forward to that initial period of not knowing anyone and feeling lost/alone on campus. But hopefully that doesn't last too long.

hairs9

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 09:15:49 am »
+4
A bit of a life update:
A few days ago I got the credit for my uni subjects I did last year. It was what I predicted(MTH1030 and a first-year maths subject). Which is good because it means I only have to do 4 more first-year science subjects, and my course map works.
Before I got the credit, I went a little crazy on Monplan and realised I technically had space to do an extended major+major. But, when I got the credit, the people sent me a course map and basically said I couldn't do that :/
It was a bit ambitious anyway, and I do hopefully want to study abroad at some stage(probably to Monash Malaysia so it's not crazily expensive) so I should probably save some elective units for then.

Allocate+ opens today to put in timetable preferences so I've been doing last minute refining to get a great timetable. At the moment, I'm planning to have 2 days on campus, 2 days off-campus, and 1 day off. I have 8 lectures spread over the 4 days and only 2 are recorded so I can watch later. Which basically means I have to watch some of the live stream lectures on campus which is...interesting. But I assume a lot of people would be in the same boat.

I've been looking more at the clubs and I'm trying to figure out which, if any, to join. I'll definitely join MSA for that Clayton Maccas discount and probably MASS^3 and MSS. Idk how many you can join before it becomes too overloaded but I might join SOCS if it isn't too much.
I'm also planning on joining the Monash Dance Society for a bit of fun.

In non-university related news, I've been applying to a lot of jobs because I am broke and unemployed. A majority of them have been tutoring jobs and I've been lucky enough to get interviews for quite a few places. I did my first paid tutoring job yesterday, which worked out pretty well but it was a lot more work than I bargained for.

I guess my life is going to be taken up mainly by uni and tutoring. Hopefully, I can manage my time and find a lot of time to complete all the work/study, as well as enjoying myself.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3509
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 09:32:03 am »
A bit of a life update:
A few days ago I got the credit for my uni subjects I did last year. It was what I predicted(MTH1030 and a first-year maths subject). Which is good because it means I only have to do 4 more first-year science subjects, and my course map works.
Before I got the credit, I went a little crazy on Monplan and realised I technically had space to do an extended major+major. But, when I got the credit, the people sent me a course map and basically said I couldn't do that :/
It was a bit ambitious anyway, and I do hopefully want to study abroad at some stage(probably to Monash Malaysia so it's not crazily expensive) so I should probably save some elective units for then.

Allocate+ opens today to put in timetable preferences so I've been doing last minute refining to get a great timetable. At the moment, I'm planning to have 2 days on campus, 2 days off-campus, and 1 day off. I have 8 lectures spread over the 4 days and only 2 are recorded so I can watch later. Which basically means I have to watch some of the live stream lectures on campus which is...interesting. But I assume a lot of people would be in the same boat.

I've been looking more at the clubs and I'm trying to figure out which, if any, to join. I'll definitely join MSA for that Clayton Maccas discount and probably MASS^3 and MSS. Idk how many you can join before it becomes too overloaded but I might join SOCS if it isn't too much.
I'm also planning on joining the Monash Dance Society for a bit of fun.

In non-university related news, I've been applying to a lot of jobs because I am broke and unemployed. A majority of them have been tutoring jobs and I've been lucky enough to get interviews for quite a few places. I did my first paid tutoring job yesterday, which worked out pretty well but it was a lot more work than I bargained for.

I guess my life is going to be taken up mainly by uni and tutoring. Hopefully, I can manage my time and find a lot of time to complete all the work/study, as well as enjoying myself.

If you're interested in a few clubs make sure you get your MSA membership first so you get a discount on joining (this will make some clubs and societies free, it's generally a $5 discount) - its sounds like you might have done enough research to already know this anyway. Keep in mind that joining doesn't give any any attendance obligations etc and generally they'll hold free food events throughout the year as well as things more focused on that club or societies interest areas.

Congrats on the tutoring job! Yeah between travel and help requests outside of set times, organising meets etc tutoring can be a bit of work.

hairs9

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 04:29:37 pm »
+4
Timetables were released today and I was pretty happy with what I got. There were a couple of classes I wasn't too happy with but after making a couple of changes, I've got a pretty ideal timetable. I am only going in for 2 days but one of them starts at 8am. Which is a little annoying but I think(I'll be eating my words by the end of semester) I can handle it if it means I can go home early. I might try to rejig my 8am start on Thursday in a few days if more classes get added. I was also happy to see that one of my lecture series now has an on demand option, which makes sorting out my life easier.
In other news, lockdown has caused me to miss a pre-uni event but the advanced science camp is still going ahead if restrictions ease, so I'm pretty happy and excited about that. I think it will be great to meet like-minded people in my course in a smaller environment and hopefully I'll feel more relaxed about going to uni.
I have been doing some pre-uni work over the last week or so. I know a lot of people say to enjoy your break because uni is hectic but I'm bored and I do enjoy being able to look over things I'm interested in in a relaxed environment. I'm mainly just doing a bit of basic coding and looking over my old notes from my uni maths last year. I started looking at some CHM1051 videos on the youtube playlist and I got over-excited. I forget sometimes why I'm doing chemistry but I really love the content. I do like that there is a bit of crossover into physics(but only the parts of physics I like...screw electricity). I enjoyed some of the year 11 physics content I did and most of the fun stuff is also found in thermochemistry so that's great.
The CHM1051 moodle page got uploaded yesterday and I, along with a bunch of other first years in the messenger chat attempted to get started on the week 0 handbook because we're in lockdown and we're excited jaffies *shrugs*. The content was all revision and the quiz was pretty easy. I tried the advanced activities and it's definitely a little step up, which as much as it annoys me, I probably need. There were a few compounds in there that I had to look up but hopefully it will improve my overall knowledge.

In non-uni news, I got a job! I am going to be working at a swim place near Monash, both teaching kids to swim and doing admin. I will be having 2 shifts a week at the moment which is pretty nice, although it will change each term(which gives me good flexibility with uni). I also currently have 2 students that I am tutoring. I was planning on accepting offers from other tutoring companies and doing more students but I think I'm happy just to start with the 2 students, and slowly build up from there as I adjust to uni life. So overall, I'm working 8 hours a week, which I think is enough for me to both get some money, as well as still being able to have a life

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 12:28:22 pm »
Congrats on the new job! Teaching swimming lessons sounds very exciting!

All the best for the 8am starts! How long does it take you to travel to uni?

Sounds like you are all ready to go for uni! It's great to see how keen you are for all your subjects. :)
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

hairs9

• Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 07:23:30 pm »
Congrats on the new job! Teaching swimming lessons sounds very exciting!

All the best for the 8am starts! How long does it take you to travel to uni?

Sounds like you are all ready to go for uni! It's great to see how keen you are for all your subjects. :)

Thank you! It only takes me about 30 minutes to drive so not too bad