Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:40:38 pm

Author Topic: Swapping timeslots with other students  (Read 712 times)  Share 

uoping

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Swapping timeslots with other students
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »
So I had a very specific timeslot that I was aiming to get for Chemistry 1 but literally 1 minute after it was made available, it was full.
Firstly, how tf do people register so fast?
Secondly, is it possible to switch timeslots with another person if we both wanted the other persons time?
Thirdly, is there some way we can message other students (perhaps the LMS) and ask if they want to exchange?
Fourthly, should I submit CREM enquiry to ask if I can switch (genuinely will have trouble attending due to work) and when should I do this?
Fifthly, Should I also try negotiating with the course administrator? And how would I go about doing this? Also, should this be done before enquiry or after?

PS: if you're reading this and doing Chemistry 1: If you registered for Prac 1 on Thurs at 10am-12pm, and want prac1 on Wednesday from 2pm-4pm, hit me up!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:39:05 pm by uoping »

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Swapping timeslots with other students
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:42:22 pm »
1. People constantly refresh the timetable page waiting for it to open. They also prioritise mandatory classes first so they get the best times (e.g. they will straight away book into a practical class)
2. It doesn't work like this unfortunately, when someone changes class time, a free spot opens up and it is first come first serve. You will need to keep checking the timetable to see if a spot opens up (people may drop subjects or change timeslots) or try emailing the coordinator.
3. Again, the system doesn't work like this
4. You can try a CREM. I would maybe try emailing the chemistry coordinator (Sonia) and explain to her that the timeslot you want isn't available but it would make your timetable work much better (I probably wouldn't mention work commitments). Sonia is very reasonable and she may be able to fit you in.

uoping

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:49:21 pm »
1. People constantly refresh the timetable page waiting for it to open. They also prioritise mandatory classes first so they get the best times (e.g. they will straight away book into a practical class)
2. It doesn't work like this unfortunately, when someone changes class time, a free spot opens up and it is first come first serve. You will need to keep checking the timetable to see if a spot opens up (people may drop subjects or change timeslots) or try emailing the coordinator.
3. Again, the system doesn't work like this
4. You can try a CREM. I would maybe try emailing the chemistry coordinator (Sonia) and explain to her that the timeslot you want isn't available but it would make your timetable work much better (I probably wouldn't mention work commitments). Sonia is very reasonable and she may be able to fit you in.
Thanks sweetcheeks.
I will try emailing Sonia. Is her full name Sonia Horvat? Also, probably a dumb question but does she have preferences for how students name her (e.g. Dr. Horvat). I had a yr 12 teacher that got really anal if I accidentally forgot to say Dr.

Also, for CREM, what sort of proof should I provide?

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +83
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:04:18 pm »
Thanks sweetcheeks.
I will try emailing Sonia. Is her full name Sonia Horvat? Also, probably a dumb question but does she have preferences for how students name her (e.g. Dr. Horvat). I had a yr 12 teacher that got really anal if I accidentally forgot to say Dr.

Also, for CREM, what sort of proof should I provide?

I would write the name as Dr. Horvat. Set the email out as professional as you can make it (how it is written may have an impact on her decision).

I don't have any firsthand experience with CREM, so I can't help unfortunately.