Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:49:12 am

Author Topic: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 596344 times)  Share 

adelaide.emily10

Re: VCE Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 02:43:52 pm »
yeh i'm willing to put up some notes later if you want :)

about my exam score, i have no idea, i only know the grade, but i know people who got b+ b+ a and got a 40 which really confused me, i think with legal it's about standing out, using latin terms and having an extensive vocabulary as well as knowing more than what the course asks you. in a way legal is a bit like english ( as mentioned by someone before).

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 02:51:59 pm »
From what I know, apparently the "Mabo v. Crown case" is must to know.

Yea, i'll finish unit 3 off, and know it back to front so i can ace all my SACs, we have a good top 5 in the cohort this year, competition..

Same here, I want to ace all my SACs - I'm not going to rely on my cohort. My cohort this year isn't that good - we have like 6 or 7 students who are good and that's about it. We only have ~25 students doing Legal next year.

The highest score this year from my school was 43, no one at my school got above 45 for Legal (I don't think).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 03:25:45 pm by EPL.11.4ever. »

chrisjb

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • ROAR
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 03:53:56 pm »
here's my notes if any of you guys want them. I only ever got up to constitution wtih these notes (I found hand written notes to be 100X better). Also, CAT stands for constitution, r'um or RUM stands for refferendum.

New idea: I'm gonna use this as a dumping ground for all my legal crap... And onur, I don't have any 44 page notes :S

I have some other notes that have been photocopied from an engageeducation seminar, if you want those then pm me cos they're too big to upload, we'd have to do it by email.

some of these notes may not be mine. full credit to whoever originaly made them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 07:55:59 pm by chrisjb »
2011: 96.35
2012: http://www.thegapyear2012.com/
2013: Arts (Global) Monash
2016: Juris Doctor (somewhere)

flash36

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 04:38:05 pm »
I'm happy to help with any queries anyone may have next year, or over the summer! I can't seem to locate my notes I did for Legal Studies, but when/if I do I'll upload them to this thread!

Also to the above post, The Mabo Case is a perfect example of the relationship between the Courts and Parliament as a law-maker, hence is very good to be familiar with; I used it on this year's exam!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »
Did you get A+, A+, A+ to get a score of 45?..

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 04:47:49 pm »

Yea, i'll finish unit 3 off, and know it back to front so i can ace all my SACs, we have a good top 5 in the cohort this year, competition..

Same here, I want to ace all my SACs - I'm not going to rely on my cohort. My cohort this year isn't that good - we have like 6 or 7 students who are good and that's about it. We only have ~25 students doing Legal next year.

The highest score this year from my school was 43, no one at my school got above 45 for Legal (I don't think).
Rank 1 ftw! I think we can all do good on the exam, i realised a lot of things from doing a year 12 in year 11, mistakes i will not make again.
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

flash36

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 04:49:22 pm »
Did you get A+, A+, A+ to get a score of 45?..

Yeah, 98/100 and 99/100 for my SACs, second in the cohort, but got the highest study score. I've ordered my SoM, I'll let you know how many marks I lost on the exam for a 45.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 04:52:52 pm »
Rank 1 ftw! I think we can all do good on the exam, i realised a lot of things from doing a year 12 in year 11, mistakes i will not make again.

Ditto. I was like in the top 5 students in our year level - though that's not saying much. In my school we get the not so bright kids for Legal. Legal 3/4 is like Legal 1/2, most of the concepts/ideas are repeated. Best of luck!

Yeah, 98/100 and 99/100 for my SACs, second in the cohort, but got the highest study score. I've ordered my SoM, I'll let you know how many marks I lost on the exam for a 45.

That would be great! =)

I suppose there isn't much difference in terms of grades to get 45~50 for Legal.

andy456

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »

I didn't learn the Mabo case and didnt use it in the exam and still did ok.
You guys should aim for 50's all around.
Just a few tips:

-Dont get hung up on SAC's. Sure they are important to get rank 1 in if you go to a disadvanaged school and for glory but its not essential to 100% every SAC. I ended up on rank 1 with ~90/100 for Unit 3 and 94/100 for Unit 4. It obviously comes down to exams as my scores must have been mopderated up because if they hadnt i wouldnt have gotten a 49. And yes I did go to a crappy public school whose median SS was 28 in 2009. It goes to show that school shouldnt impact you.

-Knowing the course is great but if you cant answer the question in the way the examiner wants you are in big trouble. For example in one of this years questions I accidently stuffed up the age brackets for fingerprinting, but all was not lost. You have got to interpret the question in a way that allows you to show great depth. People say that case examples are essential to set you above the rest but I can honestly say I did not use a case for every question. Probably only 3-4 at most.

-One of the worst things in legal is TIME!!!! I had a tendency to spend forever on shorter questions and then be strpped for time in the last few. This is the absolute wrong thing to do. Spread your time according to the weighting of the question.

I'm definately available to help you guys out next year and these holidays so pm or email me or contact me in whatever way possible (if you call me that would be creepy and i probably wouldnt help you then :D ). Also Ive ordered a statement of marks for legal to find out exactly what I got in the exam.
Once I get my sh*t together I will start advertising tutoring also if anyone is interested.
VCE 2010: Eng 42 | Legal 49 | Chem 37 | MM 34 | Indo SL 33 |
ATAR: 97.45

2011: Bachelor of Arts Monash University
2012: Bachelor of Commerce?? Please!!

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 05:35:40 pm »
One word... LEGEND.

Thanks for the advice/tips andy456 and congrats on the Legal score! xD

nacho

• The Thought Police
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +418
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »

Andy, that sounds really cool..! Also, for your statement of marks, did you have to get your principal's signature on the sheet, as it says that you do on it..
Congratulations on your ATAR, completely owned your goal!

I didn't learn the Mabo case and didnt use it in the exam and still did ok.
You guys should aim for 50's all around.
Just a few tips:

-Dont get hung up on SAC's. Sure they are important to get rank 1 in if you go to a disadvanaged school and for glory but its not essential to 100% every SAC. I ended up on rank 1 with ~90/100 for Unit 3 and 94/100 for Unit 4. It obviously comes down to exams as my scores must have been mopderated up because if they hadnt i wouldnt have gotten a 49. And yes I did go to a crappy public school whose median SS was 28 in 2009. It goes to show that school shouldnt impact you.

-Knowing the course is great but if you cant answer the question in the way the examiner wants you are in big trouble. For example in one of this years questions I accidently stuffed up the age brackets for fingerprinting, but all was not lost. You have got to interpret the question in a way that allows you to show great depth. People say that case examples are essential to set you above the rest but I can honestly say I did not use a case for every question. Probably only 3-4 at most.

-One of the worst things in legal is TIME!!!! I had a tendency to spend forever on shorter questions and then be strpped for time in the last few. This is the absolute wrong thing to do. Spread your time according to the weighting of the question.

I'm definately available to help you guys out next year and these holidays so pm or email me or contact me in whatever way possible (if you call me that would be creepy and i probably wouldnt help you then :D ). Also Ive ordered a statement of marks for legal to find out exactly what I got in the exam.
Once I get my sh*t together I will start advertising tutoring also if anyone is interested.
OFFICIAL FORUM RULE #1:
TrueTears is my role model so find your own

2012: BCom/BSc @ Monash
[Majors: Finance, Actuarial Studies, Mathematical Statistics]
[Minors: Psychology/ Statistics]

"Baby, it's only micro when it's soft".
-Bill Gates

Upvote me

lilaznkev1n

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • illuminati
  • Respect: +19
  • School: Haileybury College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 07:28:18 pm »
hey guys I'll probably answer some questions on this thread whenever i have time to spare as well :)
2010: Accounting [45], Legal Studies [42]
2011: Methods [38], English [41], Chem [37], Revolutions [44], Vietnamese [22]
ATAR: 97.45
2012-2014: B.Com @ Melb

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 07:33:55 pm »
hey guys I'll probably answer some questions on this thread whenever i have time to spare as well :)

Got any notes/exams you could upload?.. =D

What's the most effective method of study for a subject like Legal Studies?.. for me personally, I just write down notes from the textbook and answer the questions. That has worked for me this year in Legal 1/2. Legal doesn't scale by the way. =(

onur369

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »
Hey EPL, add the 44 pages of summary.
2011:
Aims-
English 35, Further 45+, Methods 35, Physics 32, Turkish 33, Legal 28.

eeps

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »
Hey EPL, add the 44 pages of summary.

chrisjb already posted it up today. It's on this thread. =D

here's my notes if any of you guys want them. I only ever got up to constitution wtih these notes (I found hand written notes to be 100X better). Also, CAT stands for constitution, r'um or RUM stands for refferendum.

That.