Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:57:55 am

Author Topic: AOS The Tempest  (Read 4199 times)

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
AOS The Tempest
« on: March 17, 2017, 04:43:32 pm »
Concepts of discovery in the tempest? I have some ideas for discoveries being far reaching

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: AOS The Tempest
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:34 pm »
Concepts of discovery in the tempest? I have some ideas for discoveries being far reaching

Hey there mylinh :)

Here are a few more!
- Physical discovery of the island (catalyst for all other forms of discovery within the play)
- Transformative impact of unexpected and unwanted discoveries
- Cumulative impact of discoveries
- Discovery of the fragility of the social order (and ones place within it)
- Discovery of true purpose and freedom (really important in regards to Prospero)
- Discovery new peoples and perspectives

Hope this helps! If you need me to elaborate on any of these let me know :)

Susie
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 04:02:16 pm »
Hey there mylinh :)

Here are a few more!
- Physical discovery of the island (catalyst for all other forms of discovery within the play)
- Discovery of true purpose and freedom (really important in regards to Prospero)

Hope this helps! If you need me to elaborate on any of these let me know :)

Susie

Hi Susie thanks for that but is it ok if you elaborate ^ 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »
+6
Hi Susie thanks for that but is it ok if you elaborate ^

Sure thing :)

I feel like this is fairly self evident. Through Prospero's tempest, Antonio, Alonso, Gonzalo and the rest are left shipwrecked on this new and strange island. The discovery of this new land is a catalyst, as it enables their future discoveries.

This happens a few times. Eg. the discovery of the island was unexpected, and through the Tempest, the discovery of the fragile nature of their own authority and place within the social order (particularly for Antonio and Alonso) is unwanted. However, through being forced to confront these unexpected and unwanted issues/discoveries, the characters can achieve personal growth.

Individuals interactions with one another can have a cumulative effect upon discovery, as they gain a greater understanding of their impact on others lives. This can be seen during the Banquet scene, where Alonso and Antonio are confronted with their transgressions against Prospero, and the threat of retribution.

Again, really evident during the actual tempest scene. Antonio and Alonso realise that being "king" or "duke" or a "leader" is really just a superficial title that holds no weight in nature. They are still just men.

Prospero realises that he can't consume himself in revenge any longer, and must forgive his transgressors if he is every to achieve inner peace and reclaim his dukedom.

Relevant to most characters, but in particular the sheltered Miranda, who has only really known her father, now confronted by the new people on the island (in particular Ferdinand  ;))

Hope this helps! These are fairly brief explanations, just as I don't want to go overboard and start forcing down your throat my perspective of the text, and leave room for your own interpretation  :) If you're still stuck with anything let me know and I'll try and go further. Feel free to check out this essay I wrote last year as well, where I encorporated a lot of these ideas - here!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mylinh-nguyen

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:19:48 pm »
+2
Sure thing :)

I feel like this is fairly self evident. Through Prospero's tempest, Antonio, Alonso, Gonzalo and the rest are left shipwrecked on this new and strange island. The discovery of this new land is a catalyst, as it enables their future discoveries.

This happens a few times. Eg. the discovery of the island was unexpected, and through the Tempest, the discovery of the fragile nature of their own authority and place within the social order (particularly for Antonio and Alonso) is unwanted. However, through being forced to confront these unexpected and unwanted issues/discoveries, the characters can achieve personal growth.

Individuals interactions with one another can have a cumulative effect upon discovery, as they gain a greater understanding of their impact on others lives. This can be seen during the Banquet scene, where Alonso and Antonio are confronted with their transgressions against Prospero, and the threat of retribution.

Again, really evident during the actual tempest scene. Antonio and Alonso realise that being "king" or "duke" or a "leader" is really just a superficial title that holds no weight in nature. They are still just men.

Prospero realises that he can't consume himself in revenge any longer, and must forgive his transgressors if he is every to achieve inner peace and reclaim his dukedom.

Relevant to most characters, but in particular the sheltered Miranda, who has only really known her father, now confronted by the new people on the island (in particular Ferdinand  ;))

Hope this helps! These are fairly brief explanations, just as I don't want to go overboard and start forcing down your throat my perspective of the text, and leave room for your own interpretation  :) If you're still stuck with anything let me know and I'll try and go further. Feel free to check out this essay I wrote last year as well, where I encorporated a lot of these ideas - here!

OMG thank you soo much, this is very helpful!

Dylpickle01

• Adventurer
  • The biggest mistake is thinking you won't make any
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 02:44:30 pm »
+3
Damn, it's a shame i only just found this thread  :'(

The concepts you have discussed are super valuable, thanks for breaking them down ;)
HSC 2017:
English Advanced, Mathematics, Modern History, History Extension, Chemistry, Physics

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:02:32 am »
Hi! quick question:
 for 'Discovery of the fragility of the social order (and ones place within it)'
how would I approach this if i wanted to include the idea of 'good governance' (my teachers are very insistent on it)
thanks!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 01:19:10 pm »
Hi! quick question:
 for 'Discovery of the fragility of the social order (and ones place within it)'
how would I approach this if i wanted to include the idea of 'good governance' (my teachers are very insistent on it)
thanks!

Could you explain it a bit more what you mean by 'good governance'? I never looked at that during my study last year - not that it wouldn't be a fantastic thing to include, if you teacher is insistent on it then it most likely is! I'm just not sure how to relate them since I don't actually know what it is haha

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 10:56:24 pm »
+1
nw! good governance is basically the idea that Prospero becomes a better ruler at the end because he becomes someone who governs his land and subjects traditionally and rightfully. He seeks and accepts forgiveness and he gives up magic, the unorthodox thing which caused him to lose his kingdom. Basically, I think (at least what i've managed to gather from class) is that Prospero ends up successful in regaining his dukedom because he returns to the conventional, accepted method of ruling, i.e. practicising good governance like all kings and royalty should rather than focusing on the 'dark arts' of magic.

olr1999

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Trinity Anglican College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 05:05:38 pm »
Hi! I'm struggling with language techniques in the Tempest! Would love to hear of any other techniques of note other than Shakespeare's use of prose and verse that occur frequently in the text  :)
Thanks!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 12:48:52 am »
+1
nw! good governance is basically the idea that Prospero becomes a better ruler at the end because he becomes someone who governs his land and subjects traditionally and rightfully. He seeks and accepts forgiveness and he gives up magic, the unorthodox thing which caused him to lose his kingdom. Basically, I think (at least what i've managed to gather from class) is that Prospero ends up successful in regaining his dukedom because he returns to the conventional, accepted method of ruling, i.e. practicising good governance like all kings and royalty should rather than focusing on the 'dark arts' of magic.
Heya! Sorry for the late reply! I think you could definitely link this idea to social order - Prospero is able to practice good governance by accepting the social order and his place within it, rather than disrupting it through his use of magic! He accepts his role and humanity :)

Hope this makes sense!

Susie
Hi! I'm struggling with language techniques in the Tempest! Would love to hear of any other techniques of note other than Shakespeare's use of prose and verse that occur frequently in the text  :)
Thanks!
Heya! It's been a while since I studied the text closely, so I can't remember for certain what other language techniques I mentioned: However here was a website that I remember using last year if it helps!

Susie

Crabstickz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 01:56:24 am »
+1
Heya! Sorry for the late reply! I think you could definitely link this idea to social order - Prospero is able to practice good governance by accepting the social order and his place within it, rather than disrupting it through his use of magic! He accepts his role and humanity :)

Hope this makes sense!

ahh nice thanks!