Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:31:10 pm

Author Topic: Endosymbiotic theory evidence  (Read 1244 times)  Share 

mohfame

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Endosymbiotic theory evidence
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

i would really like to hear your opinion and answer to my question.
in my text book, it explains that the evidence for endosymbiotic theory for chloroplast and mitochondria
is that they have their own DNA and ribosomes for protein synthesis
and the binary fission
tho through my research, double phospholipid bilayer should/is also an evidence
i would like to know if i should /i can write this down for an answer   ?

vcestressed

Re: Endosymbiotic theory evidence
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 09:30:33 pm »
+1
Hey! I asked the SAME question to my teacher yesterday :)
She said that if we mention these 3 things, they are more than enough to get you a full mark in a SAC/exam although you are completely right about the the double phospholipid bilayer:
- they have their own DNA ---> evidence that they can function by themselves + they have ribosomes so they can synthesise proteins
- their DNA is circular/plastidial unlike eukaryotic DNA which is linear
-  binary fission
To answer your question, i really would not mention anything about the bilayer in SAC/exam since it can get a little complicated so its better to just follow our books. :)

mohfame

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:10:14 pm »

She said that if we mention these 3 things, they are more than enough to get you a full mark in a SAC/exam although you are completely right about the the double phospholipid bilayer:
- they have their own DNA ---> evidence that they can function by themselves + they have ribosomes so they can synthesise proteins
-  binary fission
To answer your question, i really would not mention anything about the bilayer in SAC/exam since it can get a little complicated so its better to just follow our books. :)
good point... because I did write it down on my sac and my teacher kindly took marks off , I tried to convince the teacher and
My teacher said you continue to "persuade" me , and I'll take a mark off somewhere else .... kms I then obediently stopped trying:')
Thanks again for the reply.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 09:26:44 am »
+1
-  binary fission

Really pedantic, but I guess that's just science, but: they could function by themselves. Mitochondria and chloroplasts could not exist as lone entities anymore, as many of their genes have been transferred to the chromosomal DNA :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

vcestressed

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:13:09 pm »
Really pedantic, but I guess that's just science, but: they could function by themselves. Mitochondria and chloroplasts could not exist as lone entities anymore, as many of their genes have been transferred to the chromosomal DNA :)
Makes sense! Thanks for pointing it out! :)