Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:10:19 pm

Poll

Should we create and use handwritten or typed notes for VCE Science subjects?

Handwritten with all writing, no images
1 (3.4%)
Handwritten with writing, print images, diagrams and/or drawings
9 (31%)
Typed notes with all writing, no images
0 (0%)
Types notes with a combination of writing, images, diagrams etc
10 (34.5%)
Both, a little bit of handwritten notes and a little bit of typed notes
9 (31%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Handwritten or typed notes for VCE science subjects?  (Read 3296 times)  Share 

andiez

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Handwritten or typed notes for VCE science subjects?
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:41:12 pm »
Hi everybody,
I am getting started with the VCE and currently being stuck between the decision to use handwritten or typed notes for VCE Science subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology.
What are the pros and cons? Which one would be faster and more effective?
Thanks so much for your help! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:07:04 am by Sine »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
Re: HANDWRITTEN OR TYPED NOTES FOR VCE SCIENCE SUBJECTS?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 06:01:53 pm »
+3
Hi everybody,
I am getting started with the VCE and currently being stuck between the decision to use handwritten or typed notes for VCE Science subjects like Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology.

Hey andiez! :)

I choose to type most of my notes as it is usually faster and more efficient for me. Here are some pros and cons:

- Some pros of typing: you can put diagrams from the internet into your notes and collate all of your PowerPoint slides along with your annotations, which eliminates the use of heavy binders (that's if you decide to go entirely paperless). Another thing I like is that you can organise your notes page-by-page using programs like OneNote, and there's even an option for audio recording (but PLEASE ask anyone before you record them). Editing and reformatting is also much easier to do.

- Some cons of typing: Seeing as the process is so quick, you may find that you are typing your notes without actually engaging with the content. Laptops can also be quite distracting - it's very easy to go on other sites while in class :D

- Some pros of handwriting: Some people find that handwriting helps them to remember more of the information than typing. It is great for drawing your own diagrams and graphs.

- Some cons of handwriting: As the process is slower, you might find it difficult to get down all the information. Keeping on top of filing notes on loose paper may also be a possible challenge. Additionally, you can't really change the order of paper in an exercise book like you can with a computer.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 07:17:10 pm »
+2
Hey there,
If you want a method that is faster and more effective, I think that typed notes are the way to go. From typed notes, you can create summaries by hand easily or you can do other things to revise such as printing out your notes and highlighting them, pasting notes into workbooks/slipping them into plastic pockets or even copying and pasting sections for homework tasks. With typed notes, you don't need to spend heaps of time writing out information and can go straight to graphic organisers to boost memory retention.
The reason I think handwritten notes are less effective is that they can be harder to change in the future and are not necessarily the best way to remember information; there are many other graphic organisers you can use.

Hope that helped!

P.S. I've posted some graphic organiser explanations on my blog which you can check out if you're interested:
Lotus Diagram - https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/07/04/lotus-diagram/
Mind Map - https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/07/18/mind-maps/
Enjoy!

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 09:21:15 pm »
Hey!
I actually don't make any notes at all  :-X :-X. My teacher supplies the slides (and I use ATAR Notes' lecture slides as well for notes). I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and I find that re-reading notes aren't effective at all. Of course, this is only a personal preference. I have never written notes for chem, all I do is do as many practice questions as possible. For bio and psych, I use flash cards to revise (so I guess it's kind of typed  ;D). I suggest not relying too much on re-reading notes for revision as it doesn't actually help cement info into your brain.

All the best for VCE!
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Handwritten or typed notes for VCE science subjects?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 12:06:20 am »
+2
Hi everybody,
Another Pro/Con for this question is that digital copies allows you to have multiple copies backed up in various places so you won't lose your notes. If it's in a notebook it is possible to be misplaced during class or travelling between home and school. Something to keep in mind I guess.

Personally I rather write up my notes with a pen but at university, the content is generally too much for this to be efficient.

P.S You don't need all caps in the title of your thread (I will edit it now), it won't attract more users to your posts and it's a general nuisance.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Handwritten or typed notes for VCE science subjects?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:15:51 pm »
+1
I've personally found that it's been helpful for me to make handwritten notes as I learn the information better that way. And then the night before a test/assessment I can type out the relevant notes which motivates me to re-read them and understand them better. When I type them out I add in additional information and pictures.

I guess it really depends on what works for you! Best of luck deciding! ;D