Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:29:46 pm

Author Topic: Can i do an non-allowed subject as an elective?  (Read 1482 times)  Share 

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Can i do an non-allowed subject as an elective?
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »
Hi guys,
basically doing some course planning and i'm doing bachelor of design ... unfortunately there's barely any electives to choose from compared to the other degrees as well as there's not much relating to the career path i want. I don't really wanna take a subject to just fulfill that 6 electives per year rule when there's so many subjects i'd like to do but aren't available to me. Soooo i was wondering if anyone has done this or knows who i should ask to let me do a subject  that isn't in the electives list??? I'm really keen on doing more IT subjects in particular Artificial Intelligence or Cyber security ... however do you guys think melbourne uni would let?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Can i do an non-allowed subject as an elective?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:37:16 pm »
Hi guys,
basically doing some course planning and i'm doing bachelor of design ... unfortunately there's barely any electives to choose from compared to the other degrees as well as there's not much relating to the career path i want. I don't really wanna take a subject to just fulfill that 6 electives per year rule when there's so many subjects i'd like to do but aren't available to me. Soooo i was wondering if anyone has done this or knows who i should ask to let me do a subject  that isn't in the electives list??? I'm really keen on doing more IT subjects in particular Artificial Intelligence or Cyber security ... however do you guys think melbourne uni would let?

Doubt it, because they're pretty prescriptive with the way they administer these things, but there's no harm in asking and finding out!
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:46:48 am »
thanks for replying :) Do you know who i should ask?

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:20:44 pm »
Ask Stop 1 and ask to see a course planner

are you able to do the subjects you're interested in through breadth??

izzydes

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 11:02:50 pm »
If you need advice defs consider dropping into stop 1, but word of warning (from very recent experience), if you can avoid it don't go in this week! Its currently peak and unbelievably crowded with wait times easily around 2-3 hours unless you can get there as soon as the doors open!!!
However... I have a theory.... because its a new course and they only needed to prepare electives for 1st year students, they have only a really small selection of elective subjects to choose from. I reckon that once the new handbook for 2018 is released they will update it so that people doing computing or digital tech majors can do those type of subjects as electives offered to those in science.
VCE // ATAR 98.35
2015: Bio [40]
2016: Studio Art [48], Psych [47], English [44], Viscom [43], Further [37]
2017-?: Bachelor of Design @UniMelb (Architecture Major)

nadiaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:24:01 pm »
thanks guys!! okay i'm gonna trust your theory and will worry about this next year if nothing happens!