Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:17:59 am

Author Topic: How should I structure undergrad for my postgrad course goal  (Read 1166 times)  Share 

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
How should I structure undergrad for my postgrad course goal
« on: September 30, 2019, 03:57:09 pm »
Hiya,

Not sure if this should be posted here, if not, sorry...

So I really want to do postgrad law and get my JD as it has loads more benefits than doing law undergrad, but I have no clue what I'm gonna do now as my undergrad degree.

I have been leaning towards a B Education/B Arts but am unsure where to do it at. I did have my sights set at USyd but I noticed that it is a 5 year course, whereas everywhere else its only 4 years. Is it worth sitting through the extra year? I feel like I want to finish my undergrad course ASAP so that I can do my law degree.

Also, was thinking of doing my law degree at the university of Melbourne, is anyone currently doing this degree? If so, what course did you do undergrad and is it worth moving to Melbourne for 3 years? Also, how was the application process?

I know I'm thinking super ahead, but I just really want to be prepared and ensure I know exactly what I'm doing.

Thanks for all the help,
meerae :)
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

meerae

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Trendsetter
  • wack.
  • Respect: +86
Re: How should I structure undergrad for my postgrad course goal
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:51:39 pm »
Hey Meerae,

I think it would be worth thinking about what your career goals are.

If your aim is to practice law, why do you want to do an Education degree?

I personally don’t think there are many benefits to doing the JD over the LLB. If you want to study law ASAP, I think you would be better off studying an LLB. Have you thought about the admission process and extra costs associated with the JD?

Hey Coffee,

I want to study law internationally, so a JD is required for that but I think it'd be nice to have an education degree in case I wanna teach English later along the line or something.
I have considered the JD costs but do want to learn more about the admission process, other than sitting the LSAT.
2018 hsc; mathematics
2019 hsc; english adv english ext 1&2 math ext 1 legal studies economics

HSC w/ a stresshead {class of'19}

martinstran

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +8
Re: How should I structure undergrad for my postgrad course goal
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:03:02 pm »
Hey!

Honestly, I have no idea about law, but I've been considering education as well. If Ed is your backup for the future, I would suggest doing a Masters of Teaching (1.3-2 years depending on the uni) when the time comes. Also, if you want to go international, it's probably best to wait and see what country you end up in, so you can do the relevant teaching qualification there, instead of paying for a domestic degree that might not be accredited.

So maybe do a B Arts with some English units at first, then a JD, and when the time comes, an MTeach, MEd, or a DipEd or CertEd depending on where you are in the world!
HSC 2019
ENG (Std) 89 | MX1 98 | MX2 99| ECO 89 | S+C 94 | SOR 1 44 | ATAR: 99