Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:51:07 pm

Author Topic: Which computer do you use for Uni?  (Read 1643 times)  Share 

EragusTrenzalore

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Which computer do you use for Uni?
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:06:45 pm »
Which computer do you use for University and what the advantages or disadvantages of it in your opinion? Also, what would you recommend for a first year Biomed Student? What considerations do I have to take with purchasing a new computer? Thanks. :)
Nothing worth having comes easy.

2016: Geography
2017: Literature, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Economics

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
Re: Which computer do you use for Uni?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:11:20 pm »
Which computer do you use for University and what the advantages or disadvantages of it in your opinion? Also, what would you recommend for a first year Biomed Student? What considerations do I have to take with purchasing a new computer? Thanks. :)

I've got a 2010 MBP 13'' which I use to take notes at lectures and store all my exam prep and other info on Moodle. For me, the advantages are that it's quick, has pretty decent battery life (still up to 4 hours even though it's 7.5yrs old), and can boot up relatively fast. However, it is still pretty heavy and can slow down occasionally, so I'd recommend something newer. However, can't relate to a biomed student, but a Mac is normally a go-to for a uni student (especially a MacBook Air), as they're easy to transport and can boot up and run pretty well.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:44:34 pm »
Never had any problem with my MacBook in itself; relatively light and fast. After I switched to comp sci it's also become useful (constantly using terminal to compile my code).

Although I'm also a fan of things like the Surface Pro just for the sake of drawing/writing on a laptop.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure this has been asked before...?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:38:30 pm »
Quote from: RuiAce
Anyway, I'm fairly sure this has been asked before...?
There are too many to count. This really should go in Tech & Gaming, so i'll move it there.

I used a Surface Pro for my first year. That became a pain so I just took notes using paper and typed when I got home. As I was in the Compsci department, we had exclusive access to labs with high tech PCs that we could use in our spare time, provided no classes etc. were running in there.. so that took over as my main driver.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:43:35 pm »
+4
Dell XPS and im not into tech enough to know anything further about it :P

For biomed you dont need anything special just something that starts quickly, good battery life and has word/something to take notes. You'll find most people at uni have macbooks.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 12:09:27 am »
+1
Recently switched out to one of those HP x360 laptops- does its job, you can easily draw up diagrams/screenshot (I have the pen that comes with it and I like that I can screenshot by pressing a button haha), and doesn't freeze up every 5 seconds/die at 55% battery like my old one.
(I prefer handwriting my notes rather than typing them up anyways- else I get too lazy ahaha)

You'll find most people at uni have macbooks.
Sine does not lie with this statement- I always see heaps of macbooks haha. (not that I understand the hype surrounding macbooks :P )
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

kiwikoala

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:44:06 am »
Running off of a 2015 Thinkpad X250, I think screen connecting issues (from me cracking chassis) will make it go kaputt by end of this year. Made good use out of it for VCE though. Content with the purchase. It has a 5200U and makes me sad when loading Facebook and YouTube compared to my computer but it does the job with good battery and nice boot times.

Hooked onto the brand so would love to upgrade to a X1 Carbon or some other overpriced model.

The keyword when considering a laptop (say it with me) is:

CONVENIENCE (for you)

You want to have no qualms about it, the weight should mean it's very convenient to carry about, the boot times good enough so that you can use it for quick things without waiting too long, speed fast enough so you only have to jump onto your desktop beast for graphically intensive things, the keyboard and deck not annoying to your wrist and palms, have no insecurities about using it due to the thinness and aesthetics of your device in the sea of ultra books at school, battery etc.

All the factors should make you want to carry it everywhere and use it especially if you are going to spend big bucks on it or planning on it being your daily driver.

Every increase in price should be an increase in convenience of using the laptop.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:21:46 am by stevenhuyn »

EragusTrenzalore

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 01:24:35 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.
Nothing worth having comes easy.

2016: Geography
2017: Literature, Mathematical Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Economics