Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:40:02 pm

Author Topic: okay long answer question, can you check please? VCEnotes prac exam  (Read 2101 times)  Share 

hard

Q13
a)'Courts play an insignificant role in a modern legal system and all law-making should be left to the state and federal parliaments. The relationship between parliament and the court is becoming increasingly distant.'

Discuss the statement and indicate to what extent you agree or disagree with it. Critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of law making through parliament and the courts.

*Parliament according to chapter I of the constitution is the sovereign law-making body and is in charge of making laws. Courts on the other hand interpret the law and act as the judicial bodies according to chapter III of the constitution. Courts nontheless do play a role in law-making through creating precedents and statutory interpretation. However, is their(courts) role in modern legal system really insignificant?

Firstly, parliament is the ultimate law-making body which means it is the main legislature in charge of making laws. It is their primary role to pass laws for the good,peace and order of the community. Courts however, do not posses this role and thus are not capable of introducing as effective laws. It can be said that in modern society courts do not have a role in law-making.

This can be attributed to the fact that parliament is responsible and representative. Members of parliaments are elected to their position democratically and are answerable to parliament and to the community. Essentially, this allows for more effective legislation to be made that reflected community values.
Courts on the other hand are neither responsible nor are they representative. Judges are appointed to their position and do not have to answer to anyone. This demonstrates how insignificant the courts have become in the current system of law-making.

Also, parliament has access to a number of research committees and groups such as the Parliamentary committee. This means that i can provide for effective law through research being conducted to covercome controversial issues/areas.
Courts have no access to such committees or any sort of investigation and must make decisions once a case has come before them. There is little time for judges to consider their decisions impact on society and /or its implications. The insignificance of the courts can again be seen.

One other advantage of law-making through parliamnent is parliament's ability to make law in futuro. Parliament is able to legislate to accommodate for possible future issues so that they are overcome before they become apparent. Essentially, this makes legislation effective in preserving order and peace within society.
Judicial bodies however cannot do this and must make laws ex-post facto which can be known as 'dog made law.' Meaning the issues have to arise before the courts can act upon them as a case must first appear before a judge. Thus, it can be seen that the courts role in law-making is ineffective in keeping up with modern issues and values of the community.

Essentially, parliament also has the ability to cover a number of areas in one go. This could be seen in the Marriages Act (1975) where parliament covered divorce, marriage and child maintenance all in one Act. There is les delays as a result of this feature and a much more efficacious management of the law.
Courts on the other hand can only make law by interpreting specific leigslaiton or certain sections of legislation. This is neither effective nor is it efficient and it is not suitable for meeting the current demands of society, such as technological change and changes in marriage values.

In contrast, the courts may seem to be very useful in modern day society as they are essential for keeping a system that is fair and law that is coherent and reflects community values.
Firstly, courts provide a system where there is consistency, coherency and certainty. Especially in the 21st century, society needs a body where law-making is made so that it is fair and just. Individuals that seek court action will/may know the outcome of a case before it actually goes to court due to the operation of the doctrine of precedent and the ability of the courts to keep a consistent and fair system. This means that human and democratic rights are upheld which increases public confidence in the legal system and resolves disputes in quick and timely manner.
Parliament however can overtake previous legislation by bringing forth new ones without any strings attached and thus makes law making through parliament inconsistent and unpredictable.

Also, the suitability of the courts in todays society can be attributed to the fact that judges are not influenced by political parties, the media and lobbyist groups. They are able to make laws based on merits of cases and facts of current issues rather than be influenced by third parties.
Parliament on the other hand can be influenced by outside parties due to being responsible and representative of the community. This could be seen in 1993 when parliament was pressured by the public and media to introduce mandatory reporting of child abuse, which say the introduction of the children and young persons Act (1993).

Thus the statement that play an insignificant role in law-making is overshadows by the fact that it is an independant body who is coherent, well structured, meets community needs and provides for certainty and consistency.

However, the statment that 'the relationsghip between parliament and the courts is becoming increasingly distant' provedes for a number of logical fallacies. Firstly, the courts ensure that parlaiemtn does not exceed its legislative jursidcitional ability adnt hus can declare legislation 'ultra vires' if it does this.
Parliament along with the assistant of the governor/governor-general, appoint judges to their position, this has not changed overtime thus contradicts the notion that the two bodies are becoming distant from each other. Also, it is parliament that make the law in which judges interpret. Without legislation, the courts could not operate. The courts also help fill in legislative vacuums which could be seen in the Mabo case (1993) regarding the abolishment of the term terra nullius. The high court interpreted the term and alerted parliament to act in this area. All these factors establish that the relationshgip between parlaiment and the courts is not becoming distant but rather they work cohesively to provide for a stable and effective legal system.

Overall it can be said that courts do play a role in modern societies law-making due to their effectiveness of providing for a system where there is coherency, consistency, fairness and legislation interpreted to meet societies needs. Nonetheless the majority of legislation should be left to parliament as they are the ultimate law-making bodies and represent the community.

btw i would appreciate if anyone could read and make any changes to this and i know it would be draining reading all that. thanx. oh yes and this is worth 10 marks.

Also it took me roughly 28-30 mins. I know that it should've been completed within 20 mins, but my other questions took less than the 1=2mins rule so it consititued for the amount of time given to this question.

THANKYOU

hard

Re: okay long answer question, can you check please? VCEnotes prac exam
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:36:20 pm »
also can someone estimate a mark out of 10. thanx

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:26:53 pm »
I would definitely give this a 10/10! Some people just write dot points as they don't have the sufficient amount of time to write a well structured essay.

My only real critique is the sometimes 'colloquial' expression you seem to include. For example, when you used 'in one go',you could have said 'consecutively' or 'sequentially'. I guess it sounds more professional.

But that is my only real critique; other than that well done! Get set for a good study score. :)

EDIT: Maybe try to use another word to substitute for 'also'. I was thrown off by this a little bit. Perhaps use 'furthermore', 'moreover', 'in addition', 'conversely'... But use also if you want, just to a limited extent.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:54:43 pm by xox.happy1.xox »

hard

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:44:01 pm »
thanx for that happy

Furthermore :P thanx for giving me the extra words to substitute the overused words such as also.

cheers

russdog

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »
yep, would almost be willing to give you 10/10

small critique
my teacher always says that 90% of the time, they use these statements such as "courts play an insignificant role..." to see how confident someone is...in her opinion, it would be better to start by complete disagreeing with the statement to show your position on the topic
this is what i would do

In our legal system, the courts are pivotal for its success and along with the state and federal parliaments, they play a very important role in the way our system operates.  While their are certain advantages and disadvantages when it comes to law making for both Parliament and the Courts, their relationship is essential in creating and amending laws to cater for the needs of the citizens of Australia.

1a)One immediate strength of Parliament is that they can make, amend or repeal law at any time provided they are sitting.  They are the Supreme law making body and as such....

1b)However, one disadvantage of Parliament and their law-making capabilities is...

2a) Court strength
2b) Court weakness

3a) Parlt strength
3b) Parlt weakness

4a) Court strength
4b) Court weakness

CONC

(while relating each of the sections into my own introduction (rather than their statement)) cos after all, the statement is still separate from the question

hard

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:58:14 pm »
yep, would almost be willing to give you 10/10
In our legal system, the courts are pivotal for its success and along with the state and federal parliaments, they play a very important role in the way our system operates.  While their are certain advantages and disadvantages when it comes to law making for both Parliament and the Courts, their relationship is essential in creating and amending laws to cater for the needs of the citizens of Australia.

that would be a good way to start! nice one. Thanx for the tips, will take into consideration.

sick muzza

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:13:54 pm »
no need to mention the relationships between courts and parliament. stick ot the strenghts / weaknesses.

i got completely lost in that and wouldnt be able to find all 10 marks.  perhaps if you were to do like,

strenght of parl
then correlating
weak of courts

etc, would be easier to find the marks

hard

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 03:20:08 pm »
the question tho asked for the relationship between the two...

sick muzza

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 06:09:54 pm »
my bad, i didnt read the quote

hard

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 06:28:07 pm »
is okay. What you hoping for tomorrow sick muzza? feeling confident?

sick muzza

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:41:46 pm »
yeah man. hope to get mid to high 50's. thats what ive been getting on my practise exams, and our teacher is a tough marker. i got another friend whos a legal teacher to mark em as well, and said i was doing well, so im pretty happy.

what about you

hard

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 08:59:17 pm »
yer hoping for over 43 or 45 depending on the exam... gluk tho

xox.happy1.xox

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:11 pm »
Good luck everyone! Hopefully we can bring the 45+'s! (Lol, I have no hope, though :P)