Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:46:03 am

Author Topic: Topics I don't understand!!  (Read 1269 times)  Share 

psychlaw

Topics I don't understand!!
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:41:15 pm »
Association Areas - Can someone please explain this to me!

ALSO:
Do we need to know anything in visual perception BEFORE the visual perception process in the retina (reception, transduction, transmission, selection, organisation, interpretation)

ALSO: What are some
Explanations for illusions (muller lyer and ames room)

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: Topics I don't understand!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:47:27 pm »
association areas: part of the cerebral cortex where information different brain centres is combined and integrated to perform different functions
to the second question, no i don't think so
and to the third question: apparent distance theory, carpented world theory, perceptual compromise theory - i think these should be explained in your textbook, if you're using the grivas one
and i'm also not sure if the apparent distance theory and the carpented world theory conform together when explaining the muller lyer illusion

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:42:19 pm »
1. association areas of the brain are all area's other than sensory and motor functions. they integrate information from the lobes of the brain to play a part in motivation, perception and decision making..

2. i hope not

3. according to the apparent distance hypothesis, the two figures in the muller-lyer illusion appear to be different distances from the viewer; the arrowhead figure closer to the viewer and the feathertail further away. so because the central lines cast the same size image on the retina, but appear to be different distances from the viewer, the 'closer' of the two, the arrowhead figure, is perceived to be smaller.

although i'm not 100% sure that's right..

and i could use some help with the ames room too..

Hughie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 03:44:52 pm »
the hypothesis as to why the muller-lyer illusion wont be on the exam correct? I've heard that because their's so much debate between examiners that it wont come up....i think it was mentioned on a examination report or someting

ilovesuck

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 03:54:17 pm »
the hypothesis as to why the muller-lyer illusion wont be on the exam correct? I've heard that because their's so much debate between examiners that it wont come up....i think it was mentioned on a examination report or someting

really? do you have a link or something to read this?

i think its about time they put the muller lyer on the exam.  ames room has been on there past 3 years (i think).

and personally, muller lyer is easier to explain :P

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 03:55:43 pm »

Who has said it won't come up? They have given the Ames room a flogging in the last few years. It's about time that the Muller Lyer came up in the short answer.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Hughie

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:01:31 pm »
"this topic has provided much anxiety among teachers who find that one hypothesis may be reported in one textbook and the other in another....."
straight out of a 'trials for teachers' examination report.

I highly doubt they will ask you to define one hypothesis, but rather they will ask a general question in which you could explain it with either hypothesis, thus knowing both is not necessary...

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:05:23 pm »
Yeah, they will give you the option. They won't just specify one. I'm trying to find something on it from a few years back. I will have to post it later when I find it.

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 04:08:54 pm »
Here it is;

This was from the short answer section (2003 VCAA):
Muller-Lyer illusion
i. What is it that makes this figure an illusion?
1 mark
ii. Explain this illusion in terms of the apparent distance hypothesis.
2 marks

psychlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 04:38:56 pm »
Some Practise Questions for Ya'll

NO RESOURCES ALLOWED (EXCEPT FOR YOUR BRAIN)

AOS 1
(1) List two disadvantages of a case study

(2) Distinguish between the functions of the somatic and autonomic nervous system

(3) State how the release of adrenalin can both help you resist stress, and create new stressors

AOS 2
(1) Give an example of the gestalt principle of figure-ground

(2) Name and explain the process during the first stage of Visual Perception (CLUE: NOT VISUAL SENSATION)

(3) Give two reasons to explain why Muller Lyer is an illusion

AOS 3
(1) Explain the differences in NWC and ASC in terms of memory, awareness and emotion.

(2) Distinguish Between Selective and Divided attention

(3) State the stages of sleep during: Sleep Talking, Sleep Walking, Night Mares, Night Terrors

(4) Define a 'hypnogogic state'

The bolded questions are the tricky ones :D have a go at those