Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:31:36 am

Author Topic: Medicine at University of Melbourne: A high ATAR is that all?  (Read 3306 times)  Share 

geek123456

Besides a high ATAR, what else do I need ,to get into University of Melbourne for Medicine?
P.s by anything else i mean extracurricular and that kind of stuff!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:26:00 pm by geek123456 »

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
Re: Medicine at University of Melbourne: A high ATAR is that all?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »
+1
I thought that medicine at Melbourne University was only postgrad, so they don't care about your atar, instead they care about university grades and GAMSAT. I think that the only undergraduate medicine course in Victoria is in Monash and even then you can't get in with just your atar. With monash you have to get a high atar, umat and a good interview to get in. I've heard that to get an interview for monash medicine, you'd ideally want a 99+ atar and a 90+ umat. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm not very knowledgable in these types of things.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:41:42 pm by zhen »

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:33:20 pm »
+3
For Melbourne Uni, there's the provisional (guaranteed) pathway as well. After 2 years of Biomedicine, you need to do an interview and if you do well in the interview you pretty much have a place for their Doctor of Medicine. No GAMSAT required.
But....you need an ATAR of at least 99.90.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:37:26 pm »
+2
Besides a high ATAR, what else do I need ,to get into University of Melbourne for Medicine?
P.s by anything else i mean extracurricular and that kind of stuff!

You don't actually need a high ATAR to get into medicine, you can get in through science, which only requires an ATAR of 85. That being said, if you get a high ATAR it generally means you are smarter and more hard working, and hence more likely to get into postgrad med at Melbourne.

The general pathway into medicine is:

Biomed --> high GPA --> high GAMSAT score --> do well in interview --> you're in

Bearing in mind of course, that you can only get in after you have completed an undergraduate course of at least 3 years and have done the prerequisite subjects.

As for extra-curricular subjects, they are not actually required (I'm not sure if you have to submit a CV) but may help you in the interview.

Now I don't claim to be an expert but I have talked to several 3rd year Biomed students at UoM.

As cookiedream said there is a very sought after guaranteed pathway for students who receive an ATAR of 99.90+
UAdel MBBS

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 09:45:19 pm »
+3
You don't actually need a high ATAR to get into medicine, you can get in through science, which only requires an ATAR of 85. That being said, if you get a high ATAR it generally means you are smarter and more hard working, and hence more likely to get into postgrad med at Melbourne.

The general pathway into medicine is:

Biomed --> high GPA --> high GAMSAT score --> do well in interview --> you're in

Bearing in mind of course, that you can only get in after you have completed an undergraduate course of at least 3 years and have done the prerequisite subjects.

As for extra-curricular subjects, they are not actually required (I'm not sure if you have to submit a CV) but may help you in the interview.

Now I don't claim to be an expert but I have talked to several 3rd year Biomed students at UoM.

As cookiedream said there is a very sought after guaranteed pathway for students who receive an ATAR of 99.90+

You can get into medicine through anything. There are certainly med students who scored less than an 85 ATAR. Indeed, the'res someone in our course who didn't have an ATAR at all...she went to TAFE first.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd