Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:55:11 am

Author Topic: need opinions on uni subj choices ...  (Read 8606 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
need opinions on uni subj choices ...
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:33:08 pm »
hey guys

I'm kinda stuck on choosing my subjects for the arts component of my degree - theres quite a few subjects I'm interested in but 1) I still can't figure out how the major/minor system works and 2) I'm not sure which ones will help me most (I want to go into international law)

Apparently I have to choose one major, one minor and 2 electives ... (?!?)

I'm interested in chinese, french studies, german studies, international studies, philosophy, politics and psychology.

Any ideas? cos I'm sooo stuck :( I suck at decisions lol
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Re: need opinions on uni subj choices ...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 09:36:40 pm »
You're interested in politics? How come I didn't know this.

This is how majors work:

Your degree will be awarded with the recognition that you 'majored' in a particular field of study if you complete specific subjects relevant to that field. Your university handbook should detail all of the majors and their requirements. I am not sure how the minor system works, I think that is just using the rest of your subjects to do some other field of study. I don't know if it is officially recognised.

International law probably requires some rudimentary understanding of economics. I would not trust a politics or international studies major/minor to teach you this. Try to take some economics subjects if possible.

brendan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:38:05 pm »
http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/undergrad/arts-05.html
" Arts students can take units from the following faculties without requesting any special permission from the teaching faculty (note that students must still meet any stated prerequisites or corequisites). Students wishing to take units from faculties other than these must obtain written permission before enrolling...
Faculty of Business and Economics"

:D

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:31:02 am »
I believe a major sequence at Monash is 48 points, minors are 24 points (8/4 subjects respectively) in a given field.

As coblin said, you should poke around re: major/minor sequence requirements.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

brendan

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:01:45 pm »
ECC1000 Principles of microeconomics
ECC1100 Principles of macroeconomics
ECC2000 Intermediate microeconomics
ECC2010 Intermediate macroeconomics
ECC3810 Public finance
ECC3710 Labour economics
ECC3660 Monetary economics
ECC3830 Competition and regulation
ECC4720 Law and economics
ECC4810 The economics of collective choice

Survivor

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:30 am »
Lol :P Can somebody explain to me the major/minor thing to me again? I'm thinking of Commerce/Arts and perhaps it's a little early to decide my subjects at this point, but how does it all work?

Hasti

• Adventurer
  • GradReady
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:14 pm »
hey guys

I'm kinda stuck on choosing my subjects for the arts component of my degree - theres quite a few subjects I'm interested in but 1) I still can't figure out how the major/minor system works and 2) I'm not sure which ones will help me most (I want to go into international law)

Apparently I have to choose one major, one minor and 2 electives ... (?!?)

I'm interested in chinese, french studies, german studies, international studies, philosophy, politics and psychology.

Any ideas? cos I'm sooo stuck :( I suck at decisions lol

Hey! So based on everything you've said you're interested in, I would say an Arts degree would be perfect for you. I know people tend to give Arts a bad reputation, but it's becoming an increasingly more in - demand degree when employers consider job applications. And besides, it's really only through Arts that you could really get into things like Chinese, French, German, and especially philosophy. Take it from me - I do Arts, and I major in English Literature as well as Philosophy, and it's really quite a rewarding and mind - opening experience doing Arts. After your Bachelor of Arts, which is only 3 years, you can do Honors or potentially even Masters and focus on International Law (given that you'd have studied the relevant pre - requisites in your Bachelor). In terms of Majors and Minors, a "Major" is what you'll be recognised for doing the majority of your units/subjects in, and a Minor is a smaller portion of your units. It may depend on your university, but typically, a major requires 48 credit points (which means 8 subjects of a particular field of study), and a minor requires 24 credit points, (which is generally 4 subjects of a particular field of study). People generally do 4 subjects per semester anyway, so a major and minor would add up to 3 years of study for your Bachelor of Arts.

Arts will help you in a broader sense as well, because you get to have complete control over what it is you want to study, and you never know what field of study will draw you in the most! You get to find out who you are and where your passions lie through Arts.

Good luck with everything!  :)

Hasti

Tutor of Advanced English (95)

Darth_Pepe

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:59:48 pm »
+6
Hey! So based on everything you've said you're interested in, I would say an Arts degree would be perfect for you. I know people tend to give Arts a bad reputation, but it's becoming an increasingly more in - demand degree when employers consider job applications. And besides, it's really only through Arts that you could really get into things like Chinese, French, German, and especially philosophy. Take it from me - I do Arts, and I major in English Literature as well as Philosophy, and it's really quite a rewarding and mind - opening experience doing Arts. After your Bachelor of Arts, which is only 3 years, you can do Honors or potentially even Masters and focus on International Law (given that you'd have studied the relevant pre - requisites in your Bachelor). In terms of Majors and Minors, a "Major" is what you'll be recognised for doing the majority of your units/subjects in, and a Minor is a smaller portion of your units. It may depend on your university, but typically, a major requires 48 credit points (which means 8 subjects of a particular field of study), and a minor requires 24 credit points, (which is generally 4 subjects of a particular field of study). People generally do 4 subjects per semester anyway, so a major and minor would add up to 3 years of study for your Bachelor of Arts.

Arts will help you in a broader sense as well, because you get to have complete control over what it is you want to study, and you never know what field of study will draw you in the most! You get to find out who you are and where your passions lie through Arts.

Good luck with everything!  :)

This was 8 years ago, he has probably graduated by now mate

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:22 pm »
+2
This was 8 years ago, he has probably graduated by now mate

she*
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

chasej

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 01:27:08 pm »
+1
lol that was a crazy thread resurrection.
Graduated with Bachelor of Laws (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts from Monash University in June 2020.

Completing Practical Legal Training (Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice)

Offering 2021 Tutoring in VCE Legal Studies (Awarded as Bialik College's top Legal Studies Student in 2014).

Offered via Zoom or in person across Melbourne.  Message me to discuss. Very limited places available.