Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:53:21 am

Poll

How emotionally attached do you feel to your high school?

Extremely attached
13 (12.7%)
Quite attached
39 (38.2%)
Neither here nor there
12 (11.8%)
Only a tiny bit attached
21 (20.6%)
Not at all attached
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: How emotionally attached do you feel to your high school?  (Read 10275 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
How emotionally attached do you feel to your high school?
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:38:36 am »
+1
Was reflecting this morning as I waited for my bus after seeing a student from my old high school walk past. I thought, "I wonder if anybody from my school recognises me," and then I thought "no, they definitely wouldn't" - I graduated before the current Year 12s started haha. 😳

But then I started thinking about my high school more broadly, and my level of attachment to it. I didn't feel attached to it all, really, until about Year 10, I think. And then it just gradually builded until Year 12, where I felt pretty involved. I'd imagine many other people would have a similar story; the "higher" up the ranks you get, the more involved you tend to become, and I guess the more ownership you feel over the high school community. You're the leaders of the school.

In first-year uni, that continued for me, and I felt much more connected to my high school than my uni, despite having graduated. I guess this faded a little over my degree, but I still feel a closer emotional attachment to my high school than my uni. I think maybe this is because it was a much tighter community - as in, much smaller. I was very anonymous at uni.

These days, I'm still subscribed to my high school's newsletter, and like to take an interest in what's going on there. How about the rest of you? Whether you're in Year 9 or Year 12 or in uni, how emotionally attached do you feel to your high school?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: How emotionally attached do you feel to your high school?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 11:46:04 am »
+1
(Was about to say not at all attached, when I realised ok that's a bit too far)
I will never turn down an opportunity to say "hello" if I bump into them. If I have the time to I'm also down for a chat.

But I would never go out of my way to just for the hell of it. If I still have a reasonably strong attachment to them, then I view them as a "uni friend" as well. The thought of it is good and all, but honestly I don't have enough time for it.

Tbh, after uni happened my friendships have changed almost every semester anyway. Probably because I'm thinking too hard about other things, but meh.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 11:48:24 am »
(Was about to say not at all attached, when I realised ok that's a bit too far)
I will never turn down an opportunity to say "hello" if I bump into them. If I have the time to I'm also down for a chat.

But I would never go out of my way to just for the hell of it. If I still have a reasonably strong attachment to them, then I view them as a "uni friend" as well. The thought of it is good and all, but honestly I don't have enough time for it.

Tbh, after uni happened my friendships have changed almost every semester anyway. Probably because I'm thinking too hard about other things, but meh.

Sorry, OP was a bit ambiguous!

I'm talking more of the school as a concept rather than the individuals.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:20 am »
+2
Sorry, OP was a bit ambiguous!

I'm talking more of the school as a concept rather than the individuals.
Oh right aha

Actually, that's probably for the worse though. During my first year I still was - I'd visit my high school and see what's going on. Like, my teachers were lovely and really fun to chat with...

...but staff changes all the time. That kills a lot honestly. At my 7-10 school, almost all of the teachers I knew have gone. School policy has gotten harsher at my 11-12 school with ex-students as well.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 12:35:07 pm »
+1
Whether you're in Year 9 or Year 12 or in uni, how emotionally attached do you feel to your high school?
As I am year 12 at the school right now, I am pretty attached to it. :D
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:42 pm »
As I am year 12 at the school right now, I am pretty attached to it. :D

Do you think this will continue after you graduate, S200?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 01:49:59 pm »
+2
I suppose I'm a bit attached. It's mostly just the people though so I don't know if I still will be when my year leaves and then later as teachers leave. Also to a couple of spots (like my fish classroom) that have fond memories.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:52:57 pm »
+1
Didn't really like the high school I went to so I never really felt attached to it, even as I got towards senior year.
Contrary to Joseph41, I actually like being anonymous at uni :P

However, I actually want to go back and visit just to see how things have changed. Not sure if the staff that taught me (esp in y12) still there/remember me/even liked me :P
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 01:54:07 pm »
Contrary to Joseph41, I actually like being anonymous at uni :P

Oh, don't get me wrong - I absolutely loved the anonymity! Suited me much better.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 02:05:39 pm »
+4
These days, I'm still subscribed to my high school's newsletter, and like to take an interest in what's going on there

Funny that you mentioned that because I do this exact thing. I would go on my school's website and check out the latest newsletter. I do it because I would like to see if my school has added any cool programmes since I graduated. But I was also super close friends with the lady who does the newsletter so by reading the newsletter, it's kind of my way to connect with her when I'm already graduated.

In terms of high school as a concept, I'm glad in the sense that I'm out of that system. Annoyed me that they put more emphasis on our uniforms rather than our grades so. I believe my school has so much potential to do so well. Though in terms of individuals from school, of course I'm still emotionally attached to them- both staff and students. I live quite close to my high school so I would drop in once every 2-3 months and say hi.  I try to offer to help out my current Year 12 friends with their essays and assignments because it breaks my heart seeing them so stressed out.

I will always and forever will be emotionally attached to my high school. It was a place where I grew emotionally, physically and socially.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 02:10:14 pm »
+2
Definitely pretty attached - I've been at the same school for almost 13 years now, so just the smell of the gum trees as I walk down every morning is enough to trigger nostalgia. I'll probably come back and visit occasionally, my younger siblings are there for another 10 years after I'm gone and some teachers are more like mentors and friends. To be honest, it's just the sheer amount of memories there. I'm looking forward to starting fresh at uni, but I'll miss the mountain view with the mist over the valleys in the winter mornings.
Then again, as my high school is also my primary school, maybe I'm cheating when it comes to emotional connection. :)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 02:17:05 pm »
+4
Strangely enough, I feel more attached to a school as a teacher rather than as a student.

I don't think I was necessarily attached to the school as a student, but to the people in the school. The people are what makes a great school.

In my opinion the level of attachment will vary for every person... factors such as time, level of involvement, supports etc. all play a role. I know when I was in VCE I had one or two teachers who supported me on a personal level so that definitely made the experience much better. Also, I try to replicate this support in my own teaching as a person in a position of influence... so even though I wasn't that attached to my school, the school definitely made me better as a person.

Definitely from a teaching point of view, the emotional attachment and connection is significant due to the relationships you build.

After I finished my final exams in Year 12, I have never returned to it. I think that in itself says something. :P

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 02:22:38 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 02:21:32 pm »
+3
I think this is a bit of a Ship of Theseus situation for me.

I loved my school, but I think that was due to my peers, some amazing teachers, and the loose rules. However, all my peers are gone, some of the teachers have left or switched positions, and it's becoming a stricter place with more emphasis on scores alone than learning  (also fucking over arts departments). It's still the same school, but the components are different, so I'm not sure how attached I am.

I'm leaning towards 'barely'. However, I'm pretty attached to my school from 2013 to 2016.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 02:25:21 pm »
Some great responses here so far! Really enjoying reading them.

(also fucking over arts departments)

How so, out of interest?

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 02:29:40 pm »
+1
I loved my school, but I think that was due to my peers, some amazing teachers, and the loose rules. However, all my peers are gone, some of the teachers have left or switched positions, and it's becoming a stricter place with more emphasis on scores alone than learning  (also fucking over arts departments). It's still the same school, but the components are different, so I'm not sure how attached I am.
Sums up my thoughts 100% tbh. (+also the tech departments being screwed over, moreso recently, I've heard :) )

I guess I'm not overly attached, but I still check in by reading the newsletters and hearing the gossip from the rumour mill thanks to one of my siblings. Occasionally I bump into one of the staff members that I got along with, but other than that, I don't really feel that attached. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!