Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 08:49:15 am

Author Topic: Where have your friends come from?  (Read 6736 times)  Share 

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Re: Where have your friends come from?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:11 am »
+10
That being said, I liked to add AN as well... although i'm worried when I go to the meetup, everyone is going to not be my friend :(.

I'll bet you a friendship that you're wrong there, buddo
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

rocksonchan

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 04:52:38 pm »
+7
My better friends probably come from high school and uni :) coz you just spend so much time with them

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
+2
My better friends probably come from high school and uni :) coz you just spend so much time with them

Have you spent less time with your high school friends now that you've graduated? Obviously don't seem them in school etc., but outside the classroom scenario?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

JG97

• Trailblazer
  • It's a weird world out there, Morty.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:54:39 pm »
+6
At the moment, most of my friends came from school. I met lots of great people there, so making friends wasn't hard to do.
I've met some friends at my church, again, filled with great people.
Now I'm at uni, I've made quite a few new friends. The only problem is that because everyone goes to different lectures, I don't see them as often as I'd like to. Thankfully I have Facebook, so I can always message them. It's still nice to meet up in person, though.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2018, 04:35:57 pm »
+5
Really interested by this.

I realistically have no friends from primary school, very few from uni, and the number of people I keep in contact with from high school is also small.

I was thinking this morning: the majority of my friends are literally from ATAR Notes lol.

Bump. Have been thinking about this again recently. The majority of the people with whom I speak at least semi-regularly have at least some connection to ATAR Notes.

Keen to hear from others, particularly given we've had a lot of new users since this thread was active last. :)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2018, 04:46:54 pm »
+8
Most of my friends are from high school but I only have one really close friend (there's like a 5-10 minute drive from my house to hers). But I am curious to see who I'll keep in touch with. I only keep in touch with one friend from primary school and that's because we were really close. We don't talk a lot but we do talk once in a while just to see how we are.

I'm not sure if it has reached 'friendship' status or just as acquaintances but I have talked to a lot of people from ATAR Notes, most of them being NSW users. I think the AN Meet Up in July really helped me get to know other AN users :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 05:10:48 pm »
+4
Probably three different categories
- School
- Church (some overlap with school)
- People who used to go to school, but I still keep in contact with.

A few things I am now reflecting on:
- There are lots of people from netball and athletics I am friendly with, but not anyone I am super close with.
- Most of my friends are older than me - by at least one year (I have always called myself an 'old soul' haha).  :)

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
+3
^Is that age thing by design, or are they just the people you feel most comfortable with/spend the most time with?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2018, 05:20:30 pm »
+5
- primary school: don't talk to them anymore because i lost contact.
- high school: pretty much 99% of my friends come from here. i just hope we keep in touch after we graduate
- teachers: can you count them as friends? i love talking to them.
- work: we sometimes chat on facebook but not super close
- friends of friends: i know of them but don't talk to them. just because it's really awkward and we can't seem to build an actual friendship.
- tutoring: still friends with one person from tutoring. she's pretty cool
- extracurricular: used to be friends with them but not anymore because our extracurricular got cancelled.
- tumblr: have mutuals on tumblr that i talk to every now and then.

if i'm being honest, if i didn't go to high school and saw the same people everyday, i'll probably have 0 friends.

Wow this is so weird looking back on my previous post in this thread

High school: Post HSC I only talk to 6 friends now since I've lost contact with the others and/or have fallen out.
University: Now this is where most of my friends are from- even though I see them only twice/thrice a week.
ATAR Notes: obviously ;) Made some super cool friends in the last year or so
Work: I got a new job at the end of last year and I love my co-workers so much- I consider them my friends
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2018, 05:22:56 pm »
+5
Literally all from high school and primary school (who i still have as contacts). Don't do any tutoring or outside sport so I'm really closed off, maybe I should go out and make more friends  :'(

^Is that age thing by design, or are they just the people you feel most comfortable with/spend the most time with?
- Most of my friends are older than me - by at least one year (I have always called myself an 'old soul' haha).  :)
This is totally relatable :)
For the most part I've sorta gotten used to this by now, though it's more by virtue of my actual age and the year I'm in. Basically everyone's a year older than me with a few exceptions, and I spend loads of time with them, going to school with them and whatnot
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2018, 05:24:00 pm »
+3
Wow this is so weird looking back on my previous post in this thread

High school: Post HSC I only talk to 6 friends now since I've lost contact with the others and/or have fallen out.
University: Now this is where most of my friends are from- even though I see them only twice/thrice a week.
ATAR Notes: obviously ;) Made some super cool friends in the last year or so
Work: I got a new job at the end of last year and I love my co-workers so much- I consider them my friends

Funny how much can change in a year. How do you feel about your post-HSC relationships? Like, are you content with just being in contact with those you are?

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 05:28:54 pm »
+5

The people I am closest to just happen to be older than me.

I probably subconsciously look for wisdom and maturity in a friendship, not really sure.  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 05:33:30 pm »
+6
- There are lots of people from netball and athletics I am friendly with, but not anyone I am super close with.
Same! I know a lot of people (from school, tutoring) but I'm close with a lot of my friends. I've reached a point where I'm like "what does it mean to be a friend? How do you distinguish between being friends and acquaintances? How does one qualify as a 'best friend'?"

Same here as well! A lot of my previous tutors have become my friends (no clue how that works lmao) so I tend to have a lot of older friends. I also made a lot of older friends because of my sister- she was friends with a girl a year younger than her and I became friends with her and ended up being friends with the rest of her group.

For me, I think I'm a lot more comfortable with people who are older. A lot of people in my year group are into things that I'm not into: really don't like the Kardashians, hate their kind of music, a lot of them love making a fuss over things (e.g. really big birthday parties at school), or they're just thirsty af. Because of that, I have a hard time making friends with people my age and even harder time making friends with people who are younger than me. I think it's because the older friends I know have mellowed out a lot more and they appreciate things a lot more.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 05:56:41 pm »
+5
Funny how much can change in a year. How do you feel about your post-HSC relationships? Like, are you content with just being in contact with those you are?

Yes- I'm quite content with my post-HSC relationships. I don't want this sound bad but I think it's all about quality over quantity when choosing who I still want to remain friends with. I've dropped toxic friends from my previous post til now and I feel more free (this sounds so bad but it's so true). I've picked up some new friends on the way which is exciting! Although I owe everything to the internet- because if it didn't exist, I would only have like 3 friends. I even struggle to contact with my remaining high school friends (there's 4 of them) because they all go to the same uni- while I go to a different one- and our breaks don't match up. I haven't seen them since September 1, but we do plan on meeting up in 3rd week November when they've all finished their exams.

I'm super happy with the friends I've made from uni, AN and work for sure :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 12:02:01 pm »
+2
I met up with a bunch of high school friends for dumplings last night. There were probably like 15 of us there. It's the first time I've seen some of them in years, and I think I actually feel closer to them than I did during high school? It's like there's some sorta bond there as a result of shared experience?

I dunno, it's really different not seeing people every day. Anyway, it made me think of this thread. What do other people think? :)