Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:27:18 am

Author Topic: Subject selection  (Read 7653 times)

Cookiemuncher48

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Subject selection
« on: August 11, 2020, 09:38:18 pm »
I am currently in yr 10 and I really want to do Further Maths for VCE but my school will only allow me to do 3 maths if I do 1 in yr 11, so I'm debating whether if I should do Further Maths or do Chinese 3/4 in yr 11. I am also wondering if the workload of doing 2 Maths (Spesh and Meth), English, Chem and Chinese will be too much in yr12?

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Subject selection
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 08:58:45 am »
+1
Hey! I strongly recommend that you don't do 3 math subjects, as you will not have breadth in your subjects and many students who do 3 maths burn out quickly due to too much math. Even in Year 11, many people in my cohort who are doing only spesh and methods are finding it really hard to balance spesh and other subjects. VCE is a wonderful opportunity to learn a variety of skills and knowledge and I strongly recommend that you take different types of subjects, instead of sticking to one.
If the problem is picking between Further and Spesh there are many threads on AN which go through this that I think you'll find very helpful.
Regarding the workload, there are plenty of people who pick high-scaling difficult subjects and excel in them, because they enjoy it and also scaling. If you genuinely love these subjects then go for it :)
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

HUA0007

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: -2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 02:27:03 pm »
I am currently in yr 10 and I really want to do Further Maths for VCE but my school will only allow me to do 3 maths if I do 1 in yr 11, so I'm debating whether if I should do Further Maths or do Chinese 3/4 in yr 11. I am also wondering if the workload of doing 2 Maths (Spesh and Meth), English, Chem and Chinese will be too much in yr12?
I'm Chinese too. ABC to another ABC.[/size]
Chem is because doctor. You have to get coached for chem because it's the medicine science.
have to do Methods. I got a shit raw SS 29 in 2019. have to do methods. we're chinese. you have to do it.
You got a shit SS for Methods? You'll pass Chinese then.
Spec is only for year 12. It's the dux I'm-Asian-I'm-gonna-be-a-doctor-because-my-parents-want-me-to-do subject.

We're both from the same background.
You don't seem like the Spec Chinese kid.
Chinese 3/4 is really boring. Only do at day school and accept a passing score.

Saturday Chinese school boring AF.

We're both Chinese.
How strict are the parents?
What's your schedule?
Do you have an uncle that's a surgeon/dentist/doctor/GP?

How fluent is the Chinese?
How strict is your mom?

Mod edit(PF): Removed all caps and excessive size. Please review forum rules posting etiquette before continuing to post.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:44:00 am by PhoenixxFire »

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 02:46:47 pm »
idk why I been seeing HUA on a lot of these forms but personally I strongly disagree with their view on spec.
Methods and spec are manageable if u put in some work and enjoy math. They overlap a fair bit so circular functions, algebra and in year 12 calculus, graphing and algebra will all overlap a fair chunk.
HOWEVER there is an important note with doing 3 math subjects. With the ATAR calculation, the big 4 SS are ur English SS and ur top 3 SS. However they do not allow u to have 3 math SS in ur top 4.  SO if u end up getting a 50 in spesh, 50 in methods, 50 in general, 50 in english and a ss of 10 in chinese, they will take chinese in ur top 4 and leave one of the other ones behind despite ur good score. it is because of this that doing all 3 is kinda useless, I feel like a combo of spesh/methods workers better as they overlap and often have the same teachers as opposed to general. Most teachers who take spesh r super smart and can help u with methods as well so there is also that. I have written alot about why I enjoy spesh so u could look through some of my past posts or really just search around the forum there r many people who have asked this question and had opinions provided.
One final piece of advice, don't do spesh for scaling. It helps, but that can't be ur only reason.
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

HUA0007

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: -2
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 03:10:09 pm »
idk why I been seeing HUA on a lot of these forms but personally I strongly disagree with their view on spec.
Methods and spec are manageable if u put in some work and enjoy math. They overlap a fair bit so circular functions, algebra and in year 12 calculus, graphing and algebra will all overlap a fair chunk.
HOWEVER there is an important note with doing 3 math subjects. With the ATAR calculation, the big 4 SS are ur English SS and ur top 3 SS. However they do not allow u to have 3 math SS in ur top 4.  SO if u end up getting a 50 in spesh, 50 in methods, 50 in general, 50 in english and a ss of 10 in chinese, they will take chinese in ur top 4 and leave one of the other ones behind despite ur good score. it is because of this that doing all 3 is kinda useless, I feel like a combo of spesh/methods workers better as they overlap and often have the same teachers as opposed to general. Most teachers who take spesh r super smart and can help u with methods as well so there is also that. I have written alot about why I enjoy spesh so u could look through some of my past posts or really just search around the forum there r many people who have asked this question and had opinions provided.
One final piece of advice, don't do spesh for scaling. It helps, but that can't be ur only reason.
Hey
I'm older than you. My Yr12 year was 2020.
I'm turned 19 in June 2021.

Idk what school you got to but I 100% respect your dedication to VCE

My dux got
Raw 50 Physics
Raw 50 Methods
in year eleven

My year level in 2020
there was a lockdown
so every single person stayed at home 24/7
even duds in my year level because it was year 12
picked up
further + spec

When I was in Year 10, I can name max 2 people who were trying.
I got slammed down Year 10.

only because of covid 19 lockdown
I had kids in my year level who had 2 insta accs (main, priv 24/7 idk wtf they do)
get 40+???????????? raw

Mod edit(PF): Removed all caps and excessive size. Please review forum rules posting etiquette before continuing to post.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:36:47 am by PhoenixxFire »

Thegreatwall

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 09:28:18 am »
+3

ONLY BECAUSE OF COVID 19 LOCKDOWN
I HAD KIDS IN MY YEAR LEVEL WHO HAD 2 INSTA ACCS (MAIN, PRIV 24/7 idk wtf they do)
get 40+???????????? raw [/b][/size]

I have been reading many responses in this forum from you. None of them seem to make any sense and are in no way relevant to what the OP is inquiring about. They seem to be very haphazardly written and as mentioned before not relevant to OPs original question. For example "I HAD KIDS IN MY YEAR LEVEL WHO HAD 2 INSTA ACCS (MAIN, PRIV 24/7 idk wtf they do)." I'm not entirely sure what relevance this statement has to anything being spoken about in this thread. What is your point?
When the imposter is sus.

mabajas76

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 11:22:12 am »
+1
EXACTLY!!!! I think he is a bot cause he seems to repeat stuff with some very odd word choices...
"Don't give up, and don't put too much effort into things that don't matter"-Albert Einstein, probably.

somebody8442

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 11:47:00 am »
I don't understand why nearly every post is about Asian parents and huge generalisations.

Also, three maths subjects is a bit too overloading ngl. Like two already drives some kids mad so I wouldn't really recommend two.