Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:06:11 pm

Author Topic: Trial Exams- Tips/How is everyone feeling?  (Read 7646 times)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Trial Exams- Tips/How is everyone feeling?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:56 pm »
+2
Genuinely curious. Did anyone try pulling a Jake Silove or something similar and go on vacation for a period of time?

mixel

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 10:33:33 pm »
+9
Genuinely curious. Did anyone try pulling a Jake Silove or something similar and go on vacation for a period of time?

If by vacation you mean staying at home and acting like I was on vacation for three weeks, then yes  ;)
HSC 2017 subjects
Biology, Economics, English Advanced, English EXT1, English EXT2, General Maths, Modern History

johnk21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:43 pm »
Crap.

My exams start tomorrow and despite saying I will study hard in the holidays, I ended up barely studying at all. I'm a big procrastinator. Anyways, my exam schedule is:

18 July: English AOS, Software
19 July: English Modules
21 July: Maths 2-Unit
24 July: Engineering Studies
25 July: Business Studies

Hope everyone else's exams go well!  ;D
Good luck for tommorows exam!!!

rodero

• Forum Obsessive
  • Professional quote and statistic generator
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:59 pm »
+3
If by vacation you mean staying at home and acting like I was on vacation for three weeks, then yes  ;)

Vactation... So that's what we're calling it now. Then yes, I was on vacation :)
HSC 2017:
English (Advanced): 91    Legal Studies: 92    Modern History: 91    Studies of Religion 2: 90    Business Studies: 92

ATAR: 96.75

Need tutoring? Click here!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 10:42:44 pm »
+2
What have I started..

Edit: I know what I started. I started a snake fest. Far out you guys.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:48:46 pm by RuiAce »

Lily Spencer

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St. Mary's
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:09 pm »
+1
I'm feeling a bit nervous. Every time I go into an exam I freak out and forget all the knowledge that I've learnt.

My timetable

31st July English Paper 1
1st August English Paper 2
3rd August Maths
4th August Hospitality
7th August Religion and CAFS
8th August Business Studies

I need help!!!

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 11:07:21 pm »
+3
I'm feeling a bit nervous. Every time I go into an exam I freak out and forget all the knowledge that I've learnt.

Hate it when that happens!
- I try not to talk to anyone both before and after (avoid freak-out of forgetting what you already know/making yourself sad about not getting a particular question).
- Before the exam, I take a few deep breaths (yes, I realize this is cliché!) and review in my head, each of the topics of that subject and the sub-topics, creating a mental mind-map of sorts.
Hope this helps!
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

phebsh

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 09:09:45 pm »
Hey there,
So I think I've got my time management down pat but what I'm really struggling with, as well as stressing, is actually studying! Like I'll sit down for my 2 hour block of whatever subject and all I seem to do is write and rewrite notes... I don't know what to do! I've started to answer past HSC papers but I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere nor am I feeling any more confident. Any tips? Thanks :)
2017 HSC
Advanced English ~ Advanced Mathematics ~ Biology ~ Business Studies ~ Legal Studies

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 10:12:15 pm »
Hey there,
So I think I've got my time management down pat but what I'm really struggling with, as well as stressing, is actually studying! Like I'll sit down for my 2 hour block of whatever subject and all I seem to do is write and rewrite notes... I don't know what to do! I've started to answer past HSC papers but I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere nor am I feeling any more confident. Any tips? Thanks :)

Make sure you're getting your essays marked, so its more than just 'rewriting notes' as you say. You need to be developing your argument/persuasiveness in this stage of the game. Unfortunately, the author themselves is perhaps not the most trustworthy barometer of an arguments persuasiveness. So make sure you get your teachers, us at AN or even friends to have a look at your past papers once you've written them :)
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 10:29:06 pm »
Haha haaa

I need someone to hypnotise me into studying more urgently!! My trials begin wk5-6, but there is a lot of catch up work I neglected during holidays. I don't know what I've done with my life lol (not lol)

My biggest problem (no pun intended) is Maths Adv-
I can CONFIDENTLY SAY I'm 100% behind on work. Working through txtbook exercises is fine, but in the exam,,, it just doesn't make sense!? What steps follow after I differentiate? When do I differentiate? WHAT IS DY/DX???  :-[ :-[ :-[ I know past papers are a really good way to revise but despite my multiple attempts, I just can't seem to get through a paper in a night without constantly checking the answers, and going through the textbook chapter reviews still confuse and frustrate the heck out of me...

Does anyone have some lifesaving tips or resources for me to relearn maths before too late?? Please  :(

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 10:50:00 pm »
+2
Haha haaa

Does anyone have some lifesaving tips or resources for me to relearn maths before too late?? Please  :(

Past papers are definitely the best method for me. However, in your current situation, I would start by doing only question 11 until you are getting close to 100% every time. Then move on to question 12 and so on. There is no point wasting time doing question 15 and 16 as question 11 is worth the same amount of marks and significantly easier. Hope this helps :)

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:54 pm »
Past papers are definitely the best method for me. However, in your current situation, I would start by doing only question 11 until you are getting close to 100% every time. Then move on to question 12 and so on. There is no point wasting time doing question 15 and 16 as question 11 is worth the same amount of marks and significantly easier. Hope this helps :)
12070 is right,
focus on what you know at this stage, make sure that you can get close to full marks in multiple choice questions, Question 11 and Question 12 (and possibly Question 13).
The majority of your marks will come from these sections and they tend to be much easier as-well. So yeah, I would continue doing past papers (that's all i did for my 2 unit exam last year pretty much) however ensure that you are focusing on the easier sections (since you said you are struggling).

It is better to absolutely smash the easier sections where you can easily pick up marks then attempt to complete the whole paper and only get mediocre marks in the early sections. However you still have quite a bit of time, find out your weakest subjects and USE your teacher. They are there to help you, organise lunch time lessons and before/after school lessons so that you can re-learn crucial content.

Hope that helps and GL :D
2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

good_stuff

• Adventurer
  • Stay hydrated!!!
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:04 pm »
+1
12070 is right,
focus on what you know at this stage, make sure that you can get close to full marks in multiple choice questions, Question 11 and Question 12 (and possibly Question 13)

Hope that helps and GL :D

Bless! tbh I'd never thought of doing that but it is a great idea, so thank you both!
:)