Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:21:16 pm

Author Topic: Type or write notes?  (Read 11701 times)

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
  • Respect: +6
Type or write notes?
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:19:38 pm »
+1
For maximum hsc marks what is more effective, writing or typing notes? I understand everyone works different ways and pick a method suitable to your style of learning but I want a definite answer with examples of success with either. I am undertaking my HSC and am finding whilst writing notes are excellent for retaining information, it is difficult and time consuming to write for content heavy subjects like the courses I am doing such as Biology, PDHPE and Physics. Even typing this up took literally 30 seconds whereas if I was writing I would still be halfway lolololol. No honestly tho, what method is ideal.

Mod edit: Changed the title from full capslock.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:28:11 pm by Aaron »
Thomas Loos

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: Type or write notes?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 10:24:45 pm »
+5
For maximum hsc marks what is more effective, writing or typing notes? I understand everyone works different ways and pick a method suitable to your style of learning but I want a definite answer with examples of success with either. I am undertaking my HSC and am finding whilst writing notes are excellent for retaining information, it is difficult and time consuming to write for content heavy subjects like the courses I am doing such as Biology, PDHPE and Physics. Even typing this up took literally 30 seconds whereas if I was writing I would still be halfway lolololol. No honestly tho, what method is ideal.
They both serve 2 different functions. One is a concise set of notes that can be easily searchable and one is better for retention.

Why not the best of both worlds?
1. Type out your notes.
2. Spend the saved time summarising the notes in an A4 booklet.

This is what I did with great results =)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:28:17 pm by Aaron »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:32:40 pm »
+5
For maximum hsc marks what is more effective, writing or typing notes? I understand everyone works different ways and pick a method suitable to your style of learning but I want a definite answer with examples of success with either.
I am not sure if you realise this, but you are asking for a definite answer to a question that does not even have a definite answer.

For me, I used hand written notes for physics, and printed notes for chemistry. My external mark in both courses ended up being the exact same. (My internals was lower for physics because idk how to build motors.)

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:00:01 am »
+1
I type full size notes throughout the term and summarise the notes in handwritten form.
This is just so I have an organised and coherent set of full notes I can refer to while I'm studying, but retain information as I summarise each topic.

I found it to be extremely helpful with content-heavy subjects such as Biology and Business Studies, but not so much with applied subjects such as Mathematics and Extension 1.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:02:54 am by Opengangs »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 10:33:53 am »
+2
I typed all my notes for every subject - My handwritten stuff was all either practice exams, practice essays/paragraphs, brainstorms - And I did palm cards for Legal right at the end. For me personally, I like things to be neat and super organised, and having an awesome set of notes gives me confidence that I've covered the content properly. That said, important to know that notes are a means to an end - You don't even need to write notes if you don't want to, even though most people do. And if you do, there are heaps of ways to do it, it's just about picking what works best for you ;D

JeffChiang

• Forum Regular
  • TAFE=employment+money UNI=broke AF
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »
+1
There is NO definite answer. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Typing
Pros- Easily changeable, can find things quickly, shareable
Cons-You'll probably get distracted and go watch some Youtube, Can't view multiple notes at once nicely
Writing
Pros- Can view everything at once by laying it all out, Flexible with drawing diagrams and anything u want to do, practice writing that you will do in exams
Cons- Can be slower(but i find its harder to procrastinate than on a computer so i actually do it quicker), Lose them easily and susceptible to damage

I personally write all my notes unless it's more efficient to type such as copying multiple components, making tables etc.
Procrastination is a never ending revolution that will always end in procrastination

B A C K  B E F O R E  Y R 1 2

un-helpful advice

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 05:16:23 pm »
+2
I type, and the primary reason for typing is the fact that given it's on a PC I can upload to a cloud service (e.g. Google Drive) and have it whereever I go and whatever device I choose. With a book (for example), if you leave it at home by accident.... you don't have much.

This is why I prefer to type/do things electronically. But I can see the argument for handwriting to draw stuff etc.

(In fact, you could probably combine the best of both and use something like OneNote to draw/handwrite and then save it digitally).
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 09:38:08 pm »
+1
(In fact, you could probably combine the best of both and use something like OneNote to draw/handwrite and then save it digitally).

Yep, this is my approach at university - I use an app to handwrite and store it in the cloud ;D

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 09:48:24 pm »
+2
i handwrote all my bio notes last year, just squeezed them into one of those five-subject notebooks, then managed to leave them on a train a week or so before the exam.

#teamtype #trainswillnevereatthecloud
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:53:19 pm »
+1
i handwrote all my bio notes last year, just squeezed them into one of those five-subject notebooks, then managed to leave them on a train a week or so before the exam.

#teamtype #trainswillnevereatthecloud
Oh, unlucky :(
Based on your signature, sounds like you still scored pretty well

Yeah, that's why I tend to type my notes. It's organised in a way that I won't be able to if I write them, and it's portable.

_____

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »
+1
For me hand writing 12k words for each major MH topic would have literally taken a decade. Plus MS Word allows CTRL+F functionality plus adding pictures (useful for maths as I can't draw, although my maths notes are very brief). So I'm typing mine.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 09:25:48 am »
+1
My 2 cents ;D

Personally I wrote almost all my notes out by hand - but then I made sure to back them up by using an app such as Evernote. Best of both worlds for me, as I used diagrams for Science and mind maps for English and Religion.
It is up to you - I now type my notes at Uni and it is serving me well. Although I do make sure to handwrite summaries each week.

Tino_BCP

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:35:49 pm »
+1
Never done notes partially cuz i'm too lazy and partially because been told their not the most effective way to utilise my time. So i just use the textbook as my notes, however some of my peers hate this method and are just too in love with their notes.

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 07:09:21 pm »
+1
Never done notes partially cuz i'm too lazy and partially because been told their not the most effective way to utilise my time. So i just use the textbook as my notes, however some of my peers hate this method and are just too in love with their notes.
Never done notes... my peers are just too in love with their notes... I just use the textbook.

Sorry for emphasising that but I don't know how to say this lightly, so I'll be blunt.

You need notes. There is a reason everyone has notes - it is because they have been proven to work. I don't particularly care whose notes you use - the ones AN sells are awesome value and have even more amazing content, from personal experience - and they are essentially a summarised textbook then.

Let me try and shed some light on why memorising slabs of textbook won't work. Read a random chapter of your novel/nonfiction prescribed text. Now try and recite that whole chapter out loud as well as find and say techniques while you are reciting the chapter. Its hard enough to do it straight after reading. How about 2 weeks later? A month later?

Now pick out nice, rich, juicy quotes and the techniques they have. Recite the quote and know the technique. I can guarantee you this is a lot easier and will save you a lot of stress! This can be applied easily to any textbook.

Sorry if that was harsh but you need notes.
Hope I helped!

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:30:23 pm by studybuddy7777 »

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »
Really depends on how organised you are. Personally, I recall information better if I actually handwrite it but I am crap with organising papers so I prefer to type up my notes at first and then do practice responses and essays handwritten from there.
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!