Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:30 pm

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4802215 times)  Share 

neverlookback

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #15315 on: September 23, 2017, 02:46:00 pm »
+2
hello
i was talking to a friend who did methods a cpl of years ago and his teacher told his class that it is rare that students finish the exam in the allotted time.
is this true or is it just a fallacy?
would love to know :)
Yes, my tutor said the same thing, more so for exam 2

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #15316 on: September 24, 2017, 11:10:33 am »
+2
hello
i was talking to a friend who did methods a cpl of years ago and his teacher told his class that it is rare that students finish the exam in the allotted time.
is this true or is it just a fallacy?
would love to know :)

This is true

Rieko Ioane

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #15317 on: September 25, 2017, 02:17:00 pm »
+1
Hi,
Need some help with 2 questions:

Q4) even though the domain of x is pi to 2pi, are we still allowed to treat it as an acute angle and use the property(one with angles of Pi/2) to convert between sin and cos? I treated it as an acute angle and proceeded as normal, it ended up working.

For c) is there a reason why solving the rate = 0 does not get the correct answer? If the rate = 0 -> no more water in the tank? You had to use an integral instead.

https://imgur.com/a/n8Rsf

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:19:46 pm by Rieko Ioane »

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #15318 on: September 25, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »
+5
Hi,
Need some help with 2 questions:

Q4) even though the domain of x is pi to 2pi, are we still allowed to treat it as an acute angle and use the property(one with angles of Pi/2) to convert between sin and cos? I treated it as an acute angle and proceeded as normal, it ended up working.

For c) is there a reason why solving the rate = 0 does not get the correct answer? If the rate = 0 -> no more water in the tank? You had to use an integral instead.

https://imgur.com/a/n8Rsf

Thanks

4) Yes, I believe the complementary trig properties hold for all x.

c) It would seem so, but in this case the rate function does not account for the fact that the pot is actually empty. The function simply models the way the rate changes in general, and isn't specific to the actual volume of water in the pot.

Hope this helps :)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #15319 on: September 26, 2017, 02:46:53 pm »
This is true

then how much of the exam should i be aiming to get through? 60%, 75%, 80%, 90%??? and would it be effective use of my time to skip multichoice and go straight to the short answers and work on them?

thankyou

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #15320 on: September 26, 2017, 02:57:02 pm »
+2
then how much of the exam should i be aiming to get through? 60%, 75%, 80%, 90%??? and would it be effective use of my time to skip multichoice and go straight to the short answers and work on them?

thankyou
ehh really depends imo

For example, I've known people who could get through exam 1 in 15-20 mins and exam 2 in 55-60mins although this is an extreme end of the spectrum I feel someone shouldn't be purposely thinking of not finishing the exam before you have even seen the exam. I feel no matter what strength you should be able to "finish" the quesitons you know on the exam if you are continuously writing and are smart with your question choice (that is if you aren't exactly aiming for a high end score).

How strong of a student are you and what SS are you aiming for? (this would help me give better advice)

kiki.

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #15321 on: September 26, 2017, 04:34:23 pm »
This is for a composition question.
If h(x) = 6x^2 - 1,
domain is R and range is [-1, infinity)

Then how do I write it?

h: R -> R, h(x) = 6x^2 - 1 ?

Also:Positive real numbers plus zero.
Do we include the 'u' symbol?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:43:06 pm by kiki. »

chantelle.salisbury

• Forum Regular
« Reply #15322 on: September 26, 2017, 04:48:17 pm »
p
ehh really depends imo

For example, I've known people who could get through exam 1 in 15-20 mins and exam 2 in 55-60mins although this is an extreme end of the spectrum I feel someone shouldn't be purposely thinking of not finishing the exam before you have even seen the exam. I feel no matter what strength you should be able to "finish" the quesitons you know on the exam if you are continuously writing and are smart with your question choice (that is if you aren't exactly aiming for a high end score).

How strong of a student are you and what SS are you aiming for? (this would help me give better advice)

ok sorry... yes was a v vague question.
i wasnt exactly planning on not finishing the questions, but more rather just working out strategies that will give me the best score possible.
i am actually a 'fast' maths worker (well not compared to the times you just listed :D ) in exams from 7-11 i think i havnt finished one out of all 10 and that was like one last question that i wasnt sure on how to do anyway. have an average of about 80% for sacs and am ranking near top of my cohort. aiming to get 35-40.

Eric11267

• Trendsetter
  • Today three of my enemies I shall strike dead
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #15323 on: September 26, 2017, 04:49:37 pm »
+5
This is for a composition question.
If h(x) = 6x^2 - 1,
domain is R and range is [-1, infinity)

Then how do I write it?

h: R -> R, h(x) = 6x^2 - 1 ?

Also:Positive real numbers plus zero.
Do we include the 'u' symbol?
The way you wrote it is correct
And yes you would need to U symbol to do positive real numbers and 0
It would look like R+U{0}

kiki.

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #15324 on: September 26, 2017, 05:47:49 pm »
Thanks Eric!

Can someone explain question 7, exam 1, 2016? I don't get how they got the 1/45 for (A intersect Faulty)

Eric11267

• Trendsetter
  • Today three of my enemies I shall strike dead
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #15325 on: September 26, 2017, 06:00:32 pm »
+5
Thanks Eric!

Can someone explain question 7, exam 1, 2016? I don't get how they got the 1/45 for (A intersect Faulty)
Probability of A intersect faulty is the probability that a motor is picked and it was from line A and it is also faulty.
The chance of picking a motor from A is (4/9) and 1/20 of the line A motors are faulty. So you get 4/9 x1/20 =1/45
Another way of looking at it is that you have 90 motors in total and you expect to have two faulty motors from A (40x1/20). So then you have 2 faulty motors from A in 90 motors which gives you a 2/90=1/45 chance of picking a faulty motor from A

kiki.

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #15326 on: September 26, 2017, 06:10:08 pm »
Thanks again Eric! :)

kiki.

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #15327 on: September 26, 2017, 06:37:24 pm »
Hey guys, sorry for posting so many questions. For intergers, how many rules do we have to know?

My class wasn't taught what to do when you have to integrate multiples (for example, integrate -4*x*In(x)). Do we need to know how to integrate additions/muliples/divisions? If so, what are the rules?

Opengangs

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • \(\mathbb{O}_\mathbb{G}\)
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #15328 on: September 26, 2017, 06:45:21 pm »
+2
Hey guys, sorry for posting so many questions. For intergers, how many rules do we have to know?

My class wasn't taught what to do when you have to integrate multiples (for example, integrate -4*x*In(x)). Do we need to know how to integrate additions/muliples/divisions? If so, what are the rules?
I'm not sure if you guys learn Integration by Parts in VCE, because in the HSC, you are taught this method. This method allows you to integrate a product of two functions. In the example, you will need to learn the Integration by Parts formula.

kiki.

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2017
« Reply #15329 on: September 26, 2017, 06:54:56 pm »
I'm not sure if you guys learn Integration by Parts in VCE, because in the HSC, you are taught this method. This method allows you to integrate a product of two functions. In the example, you will need to learn the Integration by Parts formula.

No, we haven't learned that. Thanks for letting me know! :) I had a try looking online and applying it to my test but I'm still confused. Can you help me out with the attached file?