Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 10:03:32 pm

Author Topic: Extension 1 - Romanticism  (Read 45209 times)  Share 

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
Re: Extension 1 - Romanticism
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »
Oh thank you, that makes sense.

For my structure, I was thinking of having two body paragraphs, with one focusing on nature (romantic way of thinking) and one focusing on childhood. And so, I will explore each theme separately in each paragraph, in realtion to power of imagination, human experience, the STC poems, and other ways of thinking of the time. Is this a good idea? Or should I not do this. You guys are really helpful thanks so much

Sounds like an awesome idea! Go for it :D
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:40 am »
Awesome! I feel confident now.

Is it also possible to shed some light on the "human experience" part. I don't really understand what this means. BEcause for power of imagination, it's clear in the sense that it's how the persona uses imagination in whatever circumstance. But what is human experience? Is it Coleridge's experiences? Or is this supposed to be something Romantic? I'm so lost!!  :-[
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 02:23:52 pm »
Awesome! I feel confident now.

Is it also possible to shed some light on the "human experience" part. I don't really understand what this means. BEcause for power of imagination, it's clear in the sense that it's how the persona uses imagination in whatever circumstance. But what is human experience? Is it Coleridge's experiences? Or is this supposed to be something Romantic? I'm so lost!!  :-[

The human experience generally refers to themes regarding someone's innate values and qualities. These could extend to morality, identity and liberty. They are themes that occur within texts throughout time, and are explored particularly through characterisation
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 12:16:38 pm »
Hey Bowiemily,

I was just wondering if you happened to have your notes on Romanticism available anywhere on Atarnotes? Your knowledge of Romanticism is really strong and in-depth, I would love to have a read of your exemplar notes and essays on Romanticism if you happened to have any.

Thank you so much,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »
Hey Bowiemily,

I was just wondering if you happened to have your notes on Romanticism available anywhere on Atarnotes? Your knowledge of Romanticism is really strong and in-depth, I would love to have a read of your exemplar notes and essays on Romanticism if you happened to have any.

Thank you so much,

Mary x

Hey Mary!

I haven't posted anything in regards to extension yet - but I will likely do so later in the year :)

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 09:48:56 pm »
Hey Mary!

I haven't posted anything in regards to extension yet - but I will likely do so later in the year :)

Thank you! That would be really appreciated :)
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 12:11:34 am »
Hey I'm not an extension students so sorry for my rookieness, was told to ask here on the other forum. Can someone please explain to me what romanticism is. I'm struggling a lot on it and would appreciate a detailed, somewhat simplistic because Im really confused, explanation thankyouuuuuu.

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 09:22:32 am »
+1
Hey I'm not an extension students so sorry for my rookieness, was told to ask here on the other forum. Can someone please explain to me what romanticism is. I'm struggling a lot on it and would appreciate a detailed, somewhat simplistic because Im really confused, explanation thankyouuuuuu.

Hey hey, so Romanticism is more a way of thinking/literary period than a distinct noun. It started in Britain in the late 1700's and spread from there. Generally speaking, Romanticism is characterised by their reverence of the transformative power of the imagination to shape the corporeal experience, value of emotion above reason, introspective sensibility, a respect for the natural world, appreciation of the ordinary man as opposed to the stereotypical 'hero', a pursuit of universal truth often found through the natural word. In simple terms, they were the hippes of their time.

A lot of their values can be better understood as reactionary to industrialisation and the Enlightenment Era- examples being that the Romantics valued the inherent wisdom and purity of the child (in contrast to the increasing quantity of chimney sweeps in London- Look into some of William Blake's poetry for more background on this), industrialisation degraded the environment and the Romantics revered it,  the enlightenment era valued reason and logic as the basis of truth, whereas the Romantics used emotion and empiricism to form theirs.

Hope this helps! schooloflife on youtube does a good video explaining it if you need a little more :)

beau77bro

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »
Hey hey, so Romanticism is more a way of thinking/literary period than a distinct noun. It started in Britain in the late 1700's and spread from there. Generally speaking, Romanticism is characterised by their reverence of the transformative power of the imagination to shape the corporeal experience, value of emotion above reason, introspective sensibility, a respect for the natural world, appreciation of the ordinary man as opposed to the stereotypical 'hero', a pursuit of universal truth often found through the natural word. In simple terms, they were the hippes of their time.

A lot of their values can be better understood as reactionary to industrialisation and the Enlightenment Era- examples being that the Romantics valued the inherent wisdom and purity of the child (in contrast to the increasing quantity of chimney sweeps in London- Look into some of William Blake's poetry for more background on this), industrialisation degraded the environment and the Romantics revered it,  the enlightenment era valued reason and logic as the basis of truth, whereas the Romantics used emotion and empiricism to form theirs.

Hope this helps! schooloflife on youtube does a good video explaining it if you need a little more :)

omg thankyou the last paragraph made soo much difference thankyou soo much. btw you write so like well. english power.

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »
omg thankyou the last paragraph made soo much difference thankyou soo much. btw you write so like well. english power.

Ahahah cheers fam, happy englishing

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 11:40:04 am »
Hey,

Thank you for all your help on here! My result came back with 24/25 for my essay!

The next assessment is unfortunately a creative, these are always my weaknesses and I was wondering if you had any advice for writing a Romantic creative? I really want to maintain my rank and I know that my creatives are always my weaknesses.

Thank you so much,

Mary x
Hey!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2017, 02:11:31 pm »
Hey,

Thank you for all your help on here! My result came back with 24/25 for my essay!

The next assessment is unfortunately a creative, these are always my weaknesses and I was wondering if you had any advice for writing a Romantic creative? I really want to maintain my rank and I know that my creatives are always my weaknesses.

Thank you so much,

Mary x

Congratulations Mary!
I would suggest exploring your favourite ideas in your prescribed texts - maybe even the ones you like to write about in your essays. Then, think about how you could represent this through plot of character. This way, you can make sure your creative is still based on the core ideas of the Romantic way of thinking, whilst maintaining a personal perspective

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
Thank you so much! I want to avoid a cliche plot to be honest, do you perhaps have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mary x

Congratulations Mary!
I would suggest exploring your favourite ideas in your prescribed texts - maybe even the ones you like to write about in your essays. Then, think about how you could represent this through plot of character. This way, you can make sure your creative is still based on the core ideas of the Romantic way of thinking, whilst maintaining a personal perspective

Hey!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2017, 05:36:27 pm »
+1
Thank you so much! I want to avoid a cliche plot to be honest, do you perhaps have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mary x

Just because a general plot has been used before, it doesn't mean its a cliche. I heard somewhere that "All the stories have been told, there are no new stories. It's about the way you tell the story that makes it refreshing." (If this is actually a famous quote and I misquoted it please correct me!). So taking on Emily's idea, if you breathe life into a plot you're inspired by with your own writing style and drawing on your own personal experiences - I have faith you'll come up with something very original :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:52 pm »
Thanks Elyse :)

Would you guys mind having a look at my creative? Or is that only for advanced? I can probably have one over the next few weeks ready?

Mary x

Just because a general plot has been used before, it doesn't mean its a cliche. I heard somewhere that "All the stories have been told, there are no new stories. It's about the way you tell the story that makes it refreshing." (If this is actually a famous quote and I misquoted it please correct me!). So taking on Emily's idea, if you breathe life into a plot you're inspired by with your own writing style and drawing on your own personal experiences - I have faith you'll come up with something very original :)
Hey!