Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:08 pm

Author Topic: Last minute tips for the selective school exams  (Read 177155 times)  Share 

010000studyhard

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Re: Last minute tips for the selective school exams
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2020, 05:46:27 pm »
Try doing 4-5 paragraphs each with enough detail and make it interesting show don't tell

M-D

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2020, 08:40:55 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good book on Numerical reasoning which they have used to practice for a selective school exam or come to know of?

Thanks

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2020, 10:23:18 pm »
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good book on Numerical reasoning which they have used to practice for a selective school exam or come to know of?

Thanks
I used ISEE test practice questions

M-D

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2020, 05:39:21 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

The ISSE system is used overseas isn't it? But there must be an overlap.

Would you be able to guide to where ISEE test practice questions can be obtained?

runa123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2020, 10:10:20 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

The ISSE system is used overseas isn't it? But there must be an overlap.

Would you be able to guide to where ISEE test practice questions can be obtained?
Amazon, I know people who did the ISEE test and the questions were similar so I got an ISEE book

Mellow2020

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2020, 06:52:59 pm »
+1
Hey Guys! I am Rayan :), and am a year 8 student who has just sat the shs exam. Today I hope you give you guys as much information as possible regarding the shs exam which I have recently sat. Hopefully you can gain something from this post! I am writing this, because I had read the forums before i sat the exam, and i found it helpful, plus im sure this may help someone out there. This is for the next year's candidates, because this years exam is over (ik it contradicts the sub - topic) :P.

School Information:
There is a total of 4 selective high schools. John Monash, and Elizabeth Blackburn are considered "School of Sciences".

Melbourne High School [MHS]
•   Students: All boys
•   Ranking: Within top 5
•   Cohort sizes: 200+
•   Application: Year 8-10

Mac Robertson's Girls High School [MGHS]
•   Students: All girls

Co-educational - opposite ended schools
Nossal High School [NHS]
•   Students: Co-educational
•   Ranking: Within top 30

Suzanne Cory High School [SCHS]
•   Ranking: Within top 60

ALL TESTS are multiple choice, apart from writing, and run for 30 minutes. Maths, Numerical Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning all have 60 questions, and Reading Comprehension has 50 questions.

How the test went/ 2020 test update and information:

SO as i said, i recently sat the exam.

Reading Comprehension - Reading Comprehension this year focused on longer texts. There were about 4 long texts which you had to reach with each comprising of 3-4 questions each. There were about 5 punctuation questions (where you had to select the a question where the punctuation had been corrected, from a sentence that they had provided above). There were above 5 questions where you were required to understand, similes, metaphors, hyperbole questions etc.(persuasive & creative language devices) Regarding cartoons, there were about 3 of them, where you had to interpret the message from a cartoon (some of the cartoon examples were questions where they gave you a drawing, such as a drawing of glasses and two lines above and below it, where you had to interpret the missing word from the message (read between the lines), and you had to choose one of the words (read, between, the, lines), in the answers which was included in the message), and finally they were obviously about 5 - 6 short sentences, where you had to interpret the passage, and choose the appropriate answer.

Tip: Focus on speed reading and trying to build up knowledge of harder texts.

Mathmathics - Maths this year was nothing like what i thought it was. Hardly any of the tutoring questions I had practised for came up. There were some extremely time - consuming indices questions, 1- 2 factorising questions, lots of parabolas, equation of the line questions, graphs, intersection questions, even time, speed and distance equations came up. The most prominent thing was that it was more similiar to numerical reasoning in the way the questions were formated. Lots of linear relationshipsas well and about 3 trigonometry and pythagoras questions. There were not too many mensuration questions this year, which I had learned the formulas for. Lots of worded questions, etc. I ended up doing the first 35 maths ones, whilst also guessing 5 - 10. The rest were quickly guessed as i ran out of time.  :P

Tip: MAKE SURE to focus on paying attention to the time!!! (This is crucial for maths) Instead of focusing on specific subjects like i did, make sure to have a wide knowledge of year 10 subjects so you are not bewildered if they change the test, when over the last 5 years imk the exam has not changed too much, this year, the test was dramatically flipped. If you focus on buidling a strong foundation and going up, instead of focusing on specific difficult topics, when/if they change it you will be prepared!

Verbal Reasoning- Verbal was also different. There were only 5 - 7 gibberish word questions, and only a couple of the standard coded word questions. About 20 percent were synonym and antonym questions. To solve these questions, if there is a really big word, most likely that will not be the answer, if there are two similiar words, that most likely wont be those either, look for a word that fits the criteria and maybe even learn some very basic prefixes and maybe suffixes.

Tip: Make sure to have a wide vocabulary, and try to do the official VERBAL REASONING official practise test, because that is the most accurate. Official Government Tests - https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx

Numerical Reasoning- There were about 7 - 9 sequences questions this year, which were moderately difficult. This year the number patterns and worded questions were tough. The maths and numerical tests kind of took a 360 turn, with numerical incorporating less worded problems than i thought. TONS of ratios problems. The other non - straightfoward number patterns were in weird squares and diamond shapes which made it tough to solve. Also some basic number grids of which there were a few.

Tip: Practise more on time again, whilst also branching out on fundamentals. Try to practise some year 9 sequences tests - https://www.assessment-training.com/number-sequences#:~:text=Number%20sequence%20tests%2C%20also%20called,number%20in%20a%20given%20sequence.

Applicant Chances - As for your chances of getting in, it really depends. About 3000 kids sit each year, with the number rising yearly. If you attend a public school there is a 5% rule, which means that whether or not you are smart enough to qualify for the test itself, if enough of the kids in your school, and in your grade are applying you will need to beat them as well, to get in. Eg. 200 kids in Grade 8. 15 kids applying from your school. Only 10 can recieve entry. You will have to be smart enough to pass the test itself (as if kids in your school were not sitting), whilst also trying to be in those top 10 kids who are sitting in your school out of the 15. Your chances otherwise, are about 1/3 for getting in, in short.

For a good chance to get into Melbourne High or Mac.Rob, you will need to get at least 3 superiors (plus or minus 1), as for Suzzane and Nossal aim for 2 superiors. This number can vary a lot, as i know a friend who got into Nossal with No superiors and another friend who didnt get into Melbourne high when he got 4 superiors. Take into account the 5% rule as well which i talked about above. ALSO do not aim for a score out of 60 to get a superior. A superior is your score based against other kids who sit, so if you do badly, then chances are that others will as well, and vice - versa.  ;D A good rule of thumb is 35 out of 60 for Maths, Numerical and Verbal, with numerical and verbal being more difficult to judge, whilst a 40 out of 50 for reading should get you in a good position to get a superior for Reading.

Conclusion: If you got up to here, Thankyou! ;D I have just written this to help some people, and it is still fresh in my mind, so i do not forget.

I hope I have given some sort of insight to kids who are sitting next year, and my takeaway is to not be rigid with your expectations of this exam. This year may have been a one off, but just try and get stronger overall, instead of focusing on just maths or english, and build up skill with a strong base in both.

Regarding my score, the result hasnt arrived yet of course atm, but i would say I am stronger in english (especially Reading and Verbal), so the maths was extra hard for me  :P. They of course removed english this year due to the struggle of marking in time, and us sitting this exam in mid november ( 14th and 15th November (I was 14th)), when normally it would have been done in Mid - June.

Finally, I want to thank Jayce (Di.Dact), whose Channel I will link below (you are probably here from him anyways  :)), who helped me prepare for the exam and whose video regarding the practise for the shs exam helped.

I am planning on possibly making a video on the exam in a bit, and I will link my channel at the bottom as well if you want to check it out! ( The channel is kind of a joke atm, planning on starting uploading more in the future, but my videos rn are shit lol  :P )

I will also link some helpful websites as well, and finally, be confident, prepare for the exam appropriately, DO NOT STRESS, and enjoy the process of preparing! Wishing you all the best, Good Luck!!!

Government Practise Test: https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx

Jayce's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JayceBatallones/videos

My Channel ( As i said, dont judge me lol ): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNE1f56mv662qCv5qB8d1nA

NR Practise: https://www.assessment-training.com/number-sequences#:~:text=Number%20sequence%20tests%2C%20also%20called,number%20in%20a%20given%20sequence.

I will try to reply to any feedback and once again, thanks for reading up to here, and good luck for the exam!

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2020, 09:31:13 pm »
oi delete that guide people will still be taking the exam in the coming week (people who have covid symptoms)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:34:46 pm by Alomoac »
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2020, 09:39:37 pm »
Hey Guys! I am Rayan :), and am a year 8 student who has just sat the shs exam. Today I hope you give you guys as much information as possible regarding the shs exam which I have recently sat. Hopefully you can gain something from this post! I am writing this, because I had read the forums before i sat the exam, and i found it helpful, plus im sure this may help someone out there. This is for the next year's candidates, because this years exam is over (ik it contradicts the sub - topic) :P.

School Information:
There is a total of 4 selective high schools. John Monash, and Elizabeth Blackburn are considered "School of Sciences".

Melbourne High School [MHS]
•   Students: All boys

Mac Robertson's Girls High School [MGHS]
•   Students: All girls

Co-educational - opposite ended schools
Nossal High School [NHS]
•   Ranking: Within top 30

Suzanne Cory High School [SCHS]
•   Ranking: Within top 60

ALL TESTS are multiple choice, apart from writing, and run for 30 minutes. Maths, Numerical Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning all have 60 questions, and Reading Comprehension has 50 questions.

How the test went/ 2020 test update and information:

SO as i said, i recently sat the exam.

Reading Comprehension - Reading Comprehension this year focused on longer texts. There were about 4 long texts which you had to reach with each comprising of 3-4 questions each. There were about 5 punctuation questions (where you had to select the a question where the punctuation had been corrected, from a sentence that they had provided above). There were above 5 questions where you were required to understand, similes, metaphors, hyperbole questions etc.(persuasive & creative language devices) Regarding cartoons, there were about 3 of them, where you had to interpret the message from a cartoon (some of the cartoon examples were questions where they gave you a drawing, such as a drawing of glasses and two lines above and below it, where you had to interpret the missing word from the message (read between the lines), and you had to choose one of the words (read, between, the, lines), in the answers which was included in the message), and finally they were obviously about 5 - 6 short sentences, where you had to interpret the passage, and choose the appropriate answer.

Tip: Focus on speed reading and trying to build up knowledge of harder texts.

Mathmathics - Maths this year was nothing like what i thought it was. Hardly any of the tutoring questions I had practised for came up. There were some extremely time - consuming indices questions, 1- 2 factorising questions, lots of parabolas, equation of the line questions, graphs, intersection questions, even time, speed and distance equations came up. The most prominent thing was that it was more similiar to numerical reasoning in the way the questions were formated. Lots of linear relationshipsas well and about 3 trigonometry and pythagoras questions. There were not too many mensuration questions this year, which I had learned the formulas for. Lots of worded questions, etc. I ended up doing the first 35 maths ones, whilst also guessing 5 - 10. The rest were quickly guessed as i ran out of time.  :P

Tip: MAKE SURE to focus on paying attention to the time!!! (This is crucial for maths) Instead of focusing on specific subjects like i did, make sure to have a wide knowledge of year 10 subjects so you are not bewildered if they change the test, when over the last 5 years imk the exam has not changed too much, this year, the test was dramatically flipped. If you focus on buidling a strong foundation and going up, instead of focusing on specific difficult topics, when/if they change it you will be prepared!

Verbal Reasoning- Verbal was also different. There were only 5 - 7 gibberish word questions, and only a couple of the standard coded word questions. About 20 percent were synonym and antonym questions. To solve these questions, if there is a really big word, most likely that will not be the answer, if there are two similiar words, that most likely wont be those either, look for a word that fits the criteria and maybe even learn some very basic prefixes and maybe suffixes.

Tip: Make sure to have a wide vocabulary, and try to do the official VERBAL REASONING official practise test, because that is the most accurate. Official Government Tests - https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx

Numerical Reasoning- There were about 7 - 9 sequences questions this year, which were moderately difficult. This year the number patterns and worded questions were tough. The maths and numerical tests kind of took a 360 turn, with numerical incorporating less worded problems than i thought. TONS of ratios problems. The other non - straightfoward number patterns were in weird squares and diamond shapes which made it tough to solve. Also some basic number grids of which there were a few.

Tip: Practise more on time again, whilst also branching out on fundamentals. Try to practise some year 9 sequences tests - https://www.assessment-training.com/number-sequences#:~:text=Number%20sequence%20tests%2C%20also%20called,number%20in%20a%20given%20sequence.

Applicant Chances - As for your chances of getting in, it really depends. About 3000 kids sit each year, with the number rising yearly. If you attend a public school there is a 5% rule, which means that whether or not you are smart enough to qualify for the test itself, if enough of the kids in your school, and in your grade are applying you will need to beat them as well, to get in. Eg. 200 kids in Grade 8. 15 kids applying from your school. Only 10 can recieve entry. You will have to be smart enough to pass the test itself (as if kids in your school were not sitting), whilst also trying to be in those top 10 kids who are sitting in your school out of the 15. Your chances otherwise, are about 1/3 for getting in, in short.

For a good chance to get into Melbourne High or Mac.Rob, you will need to get at least 3 superiors (plus or minus 1), as for Suzzane and Nossal aim for 2 superiors. This number can vary a lot, as i know a friend who got into Nossal with No superiors and another friend who didnt get into Melbourne high when he got 4 superiors. Take into account the 5% rule as well which i talked about above. ALSO do not aim for a score out of 60 to get a superior. A superior is your score based against other kids who sit, so if you do badly, then chances are that others will as well, and vice - versa.  ;D A good rule of thumb is 35 out of 60 for Maths, Numerical and Verbal, with numerical and verbal being more difficult to judge, whilst a 40 out of 50 for reading should get you in a good position to get a superior for Reading.

Conclusion: If you got up to here, Thankyou! ;D I have just written this to help some people, and it is still fresh in my mind, so i do not forget.

I hope I have given some sort of insight to kids who are sitting next year, and my takeaway is to not be rigid with your expectations of this exam. This year may have been a one off, but just try and get stronger overall, instead of focusing on just maths or english, and build up skill with a strong base in both.

Regarding my score, the result hasnt arrived yet of course atm, but i would say I am stronger in english (especially Reading and Verbal), so the maths was extra hard for me  :P. They of course removed english this year due to the struggle of marking in time, and us sitting this exam in mid november ( 14th and 15th November (I was 14th)), when normally it would have been done in Mid - June.

Finally, I want to thank Jayce (Di.Dact), whose Channel I will link below (you are probably here from him anyways  :)), who helped me prepare for the exam and whose video regarding the practise for the shs exam helped.

I am planning on possibly making a video on the exam in a bit, and I will link my channel at the bottom as well if you want to check it out! ( The channel is kind of a joke atm, planning on starting uploading more in the future, but my videos rn are shit lol  :P )

I will also link some helpful websites as well, and finally, be confident, prepare for the exam appropriately, DO NOT STRESS, and enjoy the process of preparing! Wishing you all the best, Good Luck!!!

Government Practise Test: https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx

Jayce's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/JayceBatallones/videos

My Channel ( As i said, dont judge me lol ): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNE1f56mv662qCv5qB8d1nA

NR Practise: https://www.assessment-training.com/number-sequences#:~:text=Number%20sequence%20tests%2C%20also%20called,number%20in%20a%20given%20sequence.

I will try to reply to any feedback and once again, thanks for reading up to here, and good luck for the exam!

Might be best for you to take down this post temporarily as there are still a few people sitting the exam later this week...

TRYHARD6666

• Adventurer
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2020, 07:48:52 pm »
Im taking the test next year do the tests really change every year by a lot.

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2021, 04:39:34 pm »
Im taking the test next year do the tests really change every year by a lot.

Yes, they do.

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2021, 11:00:13 am »
+1
Hey,
I think that if the whole covid thing passes by June then they will make the test similar to the tests before 2020, as 2020 tests were most likely changed because the students got around 5 months extra study time and stuff. So I suggest asking successful candidates (you can ask me if u like :)) who sat the test before then.
VCE
2022: |Biology [43]| |Legal [50]|

JZou276

• Trailblazer
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2021, 06:07:33 pm »
Hi,
Last year I took the selective entrance exam and unfortunately could not get in despite getting 3 superiors and a high average. I think the main reason more this is because I went to a really competitive and smart school. A strategy to getting in is to just move schools so that you can have no competition, you only really need to deal with the school for one year.  Nevertheless, I think you should still try hard in your studies so that you will be confident when you sit the test. I will write about my experience during the test so hopefully, you get an idea:

Verbal Reasoning-This was the first test, and normally I am terrible because my vocabulary sucks. I had practised verbal reasoning for the past few months, trying to improve my vocab and thinking skills. The easiest way to improve your vocabulary is to read. However, it was sort of too late for me since the test was a few months away so I just learnt some root words in the hope I can do well on the test. On the test, there was also again a lot of word problems. An example was like Bob, Jill, Michael and Jeff are sitting on a round table. Bob is sitting on the left of Jill and etc. Who is sitting opposite Michael? There was probably like twenty of these questions. There wasn't a lot of vocab but I think it's still best to learn to get those extra marks. Because this test was more like problem-solving I got a superior in this guessing around 5 questions.

Numerical-this test was second and I believed I was strong in numerical before I did the test. However, as soon as I started answering them I was getting really nervous. The questions were all like one paragraph with a few of them being patterns and other stuff. I remember when the person said 15 minutes left I was still on question 20. I realised that I should start skipping these really long questions. I really screwed up the test but I was confident at least I got around the first 25 questions right. Overall I skipped like10-20 questions. My results-I got a superior in this and I was actually super surprised considering I was panicking and guessed a lot. The average of this test was probably like 30%.

Reading comprehension- this test was actually pretty easy. There wasn't always a massive chunk of writing for like a few questions. The grammar and punctuation questions in comprehension are also usually pretty easy. I think the main issue was deciding which answer the best fit. I always was able to chop off two of the multiple-choice answers but then I would get stuck on which of these two options and couldn't decide which one I think was the answer. This can usually take a lot of time and its best to just instantly go with your gut feeling so you have more time towards the end. I found this test quite easy despite my English is terrible. However, if I found it easy I think everyone else also found it easy so I got a high average on this test which basically destroyed my chances of getting into a selective school considering the school I was in.

Maths-this test was the last test of all of them and after realising how hard the tests were I switched up my strategy. I skipped a lot of the questions which were very wordy and came back to them after. Overall I think I guessed around 5-10 questions. The test questions were overall pretty hard but I was stronger in maths so I found it fine. . I remember some questions were such as a trigonometry question which I had no idea about. There was a lot of surds and quadratic as well. Overall, I got superior in this though.

This test was extremely difficult, it was a lot harder than all the practice questions I have done. I believe the reason this was hard was that we had no writing. I was extremely sad I couldn't get in despite having the three superiors. To get in from our school you needed all superiors or one above average and the rest superiors. Even some students got three superiors and one above average and didn't get in. However, they eventually got in with second-round offers and PD. I believe is best to study really hard for the test may be only playing games one to two hours a day on weekdays with the school. Even if you think you're confident you can make it still study hard. I hope you can learn about my experience sitting the selective test. If you have any questions reply back:)

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2021, 09:36:20 pm »
Hi,
Last year I took the selective entrance exam and unfortunately could not get in despite getting 3 superiors and a high average. I think the main reason more this is because I went to a really competitive and smart school. A strategy to getting in is to just move schools so that you can have no competition, you only really need to deal with the school for one year.  Nevertheless, I think you should still try hard in your studies so that you will be confident when you sit the test. I will write about my experience during the test so hopefully, you get an idea:

Verbal Reasoning-This was the first test, and normally I am terrible because my vocabulary sucks. I had practised verbal reasoning for the past few months, trying to improve my vocab and thinking skills. The easiest way to improve your vocabulary is to read. However, it was sort of too late for me since the test was a few months away so I just learnt some root words in the hope I can do well on the test. On the test, there was also again a lot of word problems. An example was like Bob, Jill, Michael and Jeff are sitting on a round table. Bob is sitting on the left of Jill and etc. Who is sitting opposite Michael? There was probably like twenty of these questions. There wasn't a lot of vocab but I think it's still best to learn to get those extra marks. Because this test was more like problem-solving I got a superior in this guessing around 5 questions.

Numerical-this test was second and I believed I was strong in numerical before I did the test. However, as soon as I started answering them I was getting really nervous. The questions were all like one paragraph with a few of them being patterns and other stuff. I remember when the person said 15 minutes left I was still on question 20. I realised that I should start skipping these really long questions. I really screwed up the test but I was confident at least I got around the first 25 questions right. Overall I skipped like10-20 questions. My results-I got a superior in this and I was actually super surprised considering I was panicking and guessed a lot. The average of this test was probably like 30%.

Reading comprehension- this test was actually pretty easy. There wasn't always a massive chunk of writing for like a few questions. The grammar and punctuation questions in comprehension are also usually pretty easy. I think the main issue was deciding which answer the best fit. I always was able to chop off two of the multiple-choice answers but then I would get stuck on which of these two options and couldn't decide which one I think was the answer. This can usually take a lot of time and its best to just instantly go with your gut feeling so you have more time towards the end. I found this test quite easy despite my English is terrible. However, if I found it easy I think everyone else also found it easy so I got a high average on this test which basically destroyed my chances of getting into a selective school considering the school I was in.

Maths-this test was the last test of all of them and after realising how hard the tests were I switched up my strategy. I skipped a lot of the questions which were very wordy and came back to them after. Overall I think I guessed around 5-10 questions. The test questions were overall pretty hard but I was stronger in maths so I found it fine. . I remember some questions were such as a trigonometry question which I had no idea about. There was a lot of surds and quadratic as well. Overall, I got superior in this though.

This test was extremely difficult, it was a lot harder than all the practice questions I have done. I believe the reason this was hard was that we had no writing. I was extremely sad I couldn't get in despite having the three superiors. To get in from our school you needed all superiors or one above average and the rest superiors. Even some students got three superiors and one above average and didn't get in. However, they eventually got in with second-round offers and PD. I believe is best to study really hard for the test may be only playing games one to two hours a day on weekdays with the school. Even if you think you're confident you can make it still study hard. I hope you can learn about my experience sitting the selective test. If you have any questions reply back:)

Yeah i also moved schools because of that reason.
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

JZou276

• Trailblazer
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2021, 09:44:03 pm »
lol, did you get in? what were your scores?

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2021, 10:01:44 pm »
lol, did you get in? what were your scores?
Whoops,
I am in year 8 in 2021.

I am doing the test in 6 months or so.

Sorry about the confusion
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen