Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:25:18 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469708 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #555 on: August 27, 2017, 06:26:31 pm »
I was just wondering when you are comparing the effects of sleep deprivation with BAC for concentration, can we say that when an individual is sleep deprived they have difficulty completing simple tasks, and finds it easy completing complex tasks, whereas an individual with a BAC of .05 finds it difficult to complete difficult tasks [such as driving  car] and simple tasks [such as walking on a line steadily]
I wouldn't say they find it "easy" to complete complex tasks, they are just less disadvantaged than simple ones. I don't feel like this is different for driving, but I could be wrong.

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #556 on: August 27, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »
Hey Guys,

Just finishing off some old sleep notes and I came across that basically a person will feel the most tired upon being woken up from stages 3 and 4 of NREM.

Anyone know why this is?
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #557 on: August 28, 2017, 06:51:27 am »
+7
Hey Guys,

Just finishing off some old sleep notes and I came across that basically a person will feel the most tired upon being woken up from stages 3 and 4 of NREM.

Anyone know why this is?

Stages 3&4 NREM are deep sleep, and it is most difficult to wake someone from this state.
The deeper the sleep the bigger the impact: Usually someone woken in stage 3 will feel groggy and be disorientated; someone woken from stage four will usually take several minutes to become oriented and will also feel groggy. This is also termed "sleep inertia".

Think of it as the body wasn't prepared to be woken up, and now that that has happened there is a bit of delay before you catch up.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #558 on: August 28, 2017, 10:22:18 am »
+2

My gosh Howey, you never fail to impress

Thank you so much- it makes sense now!

He's a great man, isn't he? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #559 on: August 29, 2017, 04:09:14 pm »
Hey I just had a few questions:

Why is Jet lag worse when an individual travels east?

What are 2 qualitative and 2 quantitative measures that could be found on a sleep diary?

Does EEG produce qualitative or quantitative results? Is EEG a primary or secondary source of data?

What is one limitation  of the restoration theory?

bdgonz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #560 on: August 29, 2017, 05:52:15 pm »
+1

What are 2 qualitative and 2 quantitative measures that could be found on a sleep diary?

Does EEG produce qualitative or quantitative results? Is EEG a primary or secondary source of data?

What is one limitation  of the restoration theory?

Not too sure about the Jet Lag question, but I know the phrase 'West is Best', but I'm also unsure why. This article may have the answer:
http://www.traveller.com.au/why-is-jet-lag-worse-when-flying-east-gqehul

Sleep diary:
Qualitative: Individual's writing down details of their sleep when they wake up OR waking up individuals during specific stages of sleep and asking them to describe their experiences
Quantitative: Waking up individuals and asking them to rate their quality sleep from a scale of 1-10 (can't really think of another one for quantitative, maybe asking participants to state the NUMBER of dreams they remember having in a sleep).

An EEG is a GRAPH, and GRAPHS are always quantitative data. An EEG can be a primary or a secondary source. If the experimenter directly uses an EEG themselves, then it is primary, however if the experimenter seeks EEG results from an external source, it will be secondary.

One limitation of the restoration theory is that if we abide by it, a person that is bed-ridden (lacks physical activity) should technically spend less time in NREM sleep (as it is unlikely that their body needs to be replenished due to limited physical activity). This however is untrue (it is still approximately 20% REM and 80% NREM).

Hope this helps.
2016 | Methods [39] HHD [42]
2017 | English [45] Accounting [41] Economics [34] Psychology [45]
2018 | Commerce / Arts @ Monash University
ATAR: 97.50

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #561 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:57 pm »
Hey guys,

Just some more questions:

How do you reduce the effects of shift work disorder?

-o you allow the individual to stay one one shift for an extended period of time and then shift their work shift forward?

OR

-Do you allow an individual to stay in one shift for an extended period of time and then shift their work shift backward?

2. what if the lethal BAC for most adults?

3. compare the sleep patterns of adolescents with that of elderly. [2 differences]

4. On a question I got, we had to chose which fact was the most correct about sleep and there was:

-As we age the proportion of NREM sleep increases
- as we age the proportion of REM sleep decreases?

Which one is the most correct answer?????

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #562 on: August 29, 2017, 08:09:09 pm »
Does anyone have tips on improving the long answer questions (10 mark ones and 6 mark ones) for psych?

I have no idea where to start with these and the expected structure etc.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #563 on: August 29, 2017, 09:34:50 pm »
+2
Does anyone have tips on improving the long answer questions (10 mark ones and 6 mark ones) for psych?

Approach them like you would a really short essay, generally these will be your scenario questions so just work your way through it. Make sure you can see what the 10 marks would be for (ie. make 10 points) If you want to post one of your questions i'll tell you how I would approach it but i probably won't be much help with the actual answer because i did Psych last year (old study design)
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #564 on: August 30, 2017, 09:05:44 am »
+1

Similar thoughts to PhoenixxFire's post above. I think a bit part of doing well in these questions is simply understanding where your marks will come from. I'd recommend spending 5-10 minutes on a few 6-10 mark questions trying to map out such a breakdown; this should (hopefully) help work out how to approach the question. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

shxre

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #565 on: August 30, 2017, 10:15:14 am »
How much do we need to know about sleep hygiene and stimulus control therapy? Just wondering because it is in the textbook but we didn't really cover it in class that much or get assessed on it in our SAC?
Thanks!

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #566 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:52 pm »
Okay thankyou!

And also, how much detail would we need to know for the reception and transmission across the synapse?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #567 on: August 31, 2017, 10:46:50 pm »
+4
Okay thankyou!
And also, how much detail would we need to know for the reception and transmission across the synapse?

You need to know the names of the neural structures (axon terminal, dendrite, synaptic gap etc), you need to know that neurotransmitters are released from vesicles in the axon terminal and that they attach to receptors on the dendrites. You should also be able to relate inhibitory & excitatory effects to the lock and key model, and show awareness of uptake channels.

For others aswell:

Its always easiest to shift the sleep wake cycle BACK rather than forward. This is why "west is best" and progressively later shifts are better than progressively earlier shifts.

Also north/south is better than east or west, and keeping the same shift is better than a rotating roster.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2017, 12:00:50 pm »
+3
How much do we need to know about sleep hygiene and stimulus control therapy? Just wondering because it is in the textbook but we didn't really cover it in class that much or get assessed on it in our SAC?
Thanks!

I doubt you'll have to know much about sleep hygiene and stimulus control therapy, although I would have a basic idea what they involve. I don't think VCAA will ask a question specifically about either of them, but there may be an in-depth answer on CBT as a whole where you could use that information (particularly if CBT was in the ER question).

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #569 on: September 04, 2017, 12:04:46 am »
+2

I hope this isn't too late, but I think my teacher explained it because of the reason that the body has a natural tendency for the sleep-wake cycle to be extended to a 25 hour long period rather than a 24 hours long period. (Jacaranda Textbook, pg397 Box 9.1). Therefore, since travelling east 'shortens' the day (since time will 'jump' forward'), it runs counter to our natural tendency for the biological clock to extend the day. Whereas, travelling west 'lengthens' the day (since time will 'jump' backwards' - giving more daylight) and therefore runs with our biological clock's tendency to extend the day.

To clarify the 'jump' forward or backward: imagine you are travelling to Singapore. There is normally a three hour difference, with Australia being 3 hours ahead of Singapore, i.e. 12pm in Melbourne is 9am in Singapore. When you get on the plane to go to Singapore, you are travelling west. If you depart Melbourne at Noon, you will arrive Singapore at 8pm (Melbourne time). However, in Singapore, this is only 5pm (local time), meaning that your day has been 'extended'.
On the other hand, if you are travelling from Singapore to Melbourne, leaving at noon and arriving at 8pm (Singapore time), the local time in Melbourne will be 11pm. Therefore, your day has been 'shortened'.

Hope this clarified things. :)
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University