Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:58:51 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469787 times)  Share 

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #525 on: July 31, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »
+1
Hey everyone!!

I was just doing my notes for the dot point 'the effects of a full night of sleep deprivation in comparison with BAC''

Now obviously, going without sleep for a full night is the equivalent of having a BAC of 0.10. But I was just wondering how would you compare that?? They are relatively the same!!

I did some research and I found out that having a BAC of 0.10 will result in euphoria, grater self-confidence and receding of 'good' feelings? Maybe that can be a point of comparison?

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #526 on: July 31, 2017, 06:54:05 pm »
+2
Hey everyone!!

I was just doing my notes for the dot point 'the effects of a full night of sleep deprivation in comparison with BAC''

Now obviously, going without sleep for a full night is the equivalent of having a BAC of 0.10. But I was just wondering how would you compare that?? They are relatively the same!!

I did some research and I found out that having a BAC of 0.10 will result in euphoria, grater self-confidence and receding of 'good' feelings? Maybe that can be a point of comparison?

Yeah, this is an interesting one. It's one area I'm really not sure how they're going to examine.

One thing to note is that sleep deprivation tends to result in a negative mood, while a BAC of 0.10 often results in a positive mood. This could be one point to compare.

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

andrew_loka

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #527 on: July 31, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »
+1
Hi guys, so my schools starting our ERA and i have no clue what to do mine on. If anyone could lend us a hand and give me some ideas or even send me their old ones if you still got em that would be great! Thanks!

amigos

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #528 on: July 31, 2017, 11:17:57 pm »
+1
Hi guys, so my schools starting our ERA and i have no clue what to do mine on. If anyone could lend us a hand and give me some ideas or even send me their old ones if you still got em that would be great! Thanks!

Anything to do with memory - it's the simplest area to do it on and there's heaps of studies to base it off.

andrew_loka

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #529 on: August 01, 2017, 05:33:45 pm »
+2
Anything to do with memory - it's the simplest area to do it on and there's heaps of studies to base it off.
Yeah, i'm thinking about doing how chunking improves the amount of items recollected from our short term memory

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #530 on: August 01, 2017, 05:38:34 pm »
+4
Yeah, i'm thinking about doing how chunking improves the amount of items recollected from our short term memory

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me! Feel free to run us through your ideas; we can give more specific feedback from there. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #531 on: August 01, 2017, 06:21:07 pm »
+4

Chunking would be a nice one to study. My only concern with it is that it appears to have been taken off the study design - but if you've studied it at school then it should be fine.

Another good option (that a lot of people do) is the serial position effect.

pha0015

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #532 on: August 01, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »
Hi,
1. Do we need to know about different types of attention e.g. selective, focused, divided attention?
2. My textbook says that the EMG detects, amplifies and records the electrical activity of heart muscles? Isn't to supposed to measure muscles (in general)?
3. Is there any difference between muscle atonia and cataplexy? My textbook implies that cataplexy is paralysis when the person is conscious (is this just after waking) and that muscle atonia happens during REM sleep.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:47:03 pm by pha0015 »

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2017, 05:09:28 pm »
+2
Hi,
1. Do we need to know about different types of attention e.g. selective, focused, divided attention?
2. My textbook says that the EMG detects, amplifies and records the electrical activity of heart muscles? Isn't to supposed to measure muscles (in general)?
3. Is there any difference between muscle atonia and cataplexy? My textbook implies that cataplexy is paralysis when the person is conscious (is this just after waking) and that muscle atonia happens during REM sleep.

Hey there!
1. Based on the study design, I'm going to say no - there is no mention of the types of attention in the study design (in fact the only time 'attention' is mentioned is regards to the observational learning process) - so I think it is quite unlikely you'll be asked about the types of attention.
2. You're definitely right in questioning that! I'm confident that an EMG measures the electrical activity of the muscles in general, so I wouldn't use the textbook's explanation. (Which textbook is it by the way?)
3. Cataplexy is a sudden period of muscle weakness that generally occurs during the day and often occurs after 'strong emotions'. Muscle atonia, on the other hand, usually refers to the significant relaxation/paralysis of the skeletal muscles during REM. Therefore I'd say a key difference is that cataplexy occurs whilst conscious; whilst muscle atonia occurs whilst asleep (and specifically whilst in REM sleep).

Best of luck! :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #534 on: August 04, 2017, 07:52:10 pm »
+2
Hi,

As narcolepsy has been cut from the study design I doubt that we would need to know about cataplexy.
I would, however, have that that we should be aware of the different types of attention as related to awareness.
I 100% agree with Glasses in regards to the EMG

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #535 on: August 05, 2017, 08:27:48 pm »
Hey everyone.

I'm a bit confused, for consciousness do I compare a full nights sleep deprivation to a BAC of 0.05 or 0.10? Because in a technical sense, a full nights of sleep deprivation is not 1 full day, it is more likely 2 or 3 days because we sleep for 8 hours everyday, not 24 hours. So I was just confused- if anyone has finished their notes for this can you tell me how you did it?- would be really helpful

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #536 on: August 06, 2017, 10:19:00 am »
+3
As narcolepsy has been cut from the study design I doubt that we would need to know about cataplexy.
I would, however, have that that we should be aware of the different types of attention as related to awareness.
I 100% agree with Glasses in regards to the EMG

Yeah, I agree with this as well.

Personally, I would learn about the different types of attention (the two being selective/focused and divided) - they're very easy.

EMG definitely all muscles.

Definitely don't need to know about narcolepsy and its associated effects.

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #537 on: August 06, 2017, 10:23:17 am »
+3
Hey everyone.

I'm a bit confused, for consciousness do I compare a full nights sleep deprivation to a BAC of 0.05 or 0.10? Because in a technical sense, a full nights of sleep deprivation is not 1 full day, it is more likely 2 or 3 days because we sleep for 8 hours everyday, not 24 hours. So I was just confused- if anyone has finished their notes for this can you tell me how you did it?- would be really helpful

Personally, I would say that 24 hours 'sustained wakefulness', or one day of sleep deprivation, is equivalent to a BAC of 0.10% in terms of performance on cognitive psychomotor tasks. 17 hours sustained wakefulness = BAC of 0.05%.

It is a bit of a tricky area, that's for sure :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #538 on: August 08, 2017, 04:18:00 pm »
Hey everyone.

I think you are confusing sleep deprivation and sleep debt. 

If a teenager stays awake from 8 am Friday to 8 am Saturday they have 24 hours sleep deprivation and 9 hours sleep debt.

Hope this helps :)

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #539 on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:10 pm »
+1
Guys, for the stages of sleep (NREM and REM), is it true that we don't need to know the brain waves and physiological responses for each stage?
The study design says that we don't but my school taught it for some reason??

If we don't need to know the brain waves for each stage and the physiological responses, then what do we actually need to know about the sleep stages?

Thanks!! :)