Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:15:07 am

Author Topic: Choosing the right related text!  (Read 70438 times)

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
Re: Choosing the right ORT!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »
+1
If time is limited, do either a film you have seen before (Rabbit Proof Fence) or poetry (Skrzynecki). Particularly for Skzrynecki, his poems are quite punchy, it would not take you long to read them and pull some quotes out, it could easily be done in an afternoon, especially given how many resources are available for the poetry, given that it used to be on the Prescribed Text list ;D

It looks like I decided to do The adventures of Huckleberry Finn (since I found it in the library today). If it takes me too long to analyse, I'm going to scrap it and go to rabbit proof fence  :D

Musa O

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:52 pm »
Hi! My teacher suggested I choose peter weir's Dead Poet's Society for AOS Discovery. I've watched it and can't really identify the discoveries within the film besides Todd's gradual gain in confidence once he heard Mr Keating's saying: "Carpe Diem". If you've watched it, do you recognise discoveries within the text? Thanks heaps! ~~~

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2016, 04:31:02 pm »
Hi! My teacher suggested I choose peter weir's Dead Poet's Society for AOS Discovery. I've watched it and can't really identify the discoveries within the film besides Todd's gradual gain in confidence once he heard Mr Keating's saying: "Carpe Diem". If you've watched it, do you recognise discoveries within the text? Thanks heaps! ~~~

Just curious to know but what is your prescribed text?

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:31 pm »
+1
i like this very helpful!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:08 am »
I don't know where to post this but what sort of discoveries are there in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxJkKiHXbw

Emerald99

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 11:56:38 pm »
Do you think there's a high chance that this year we'll get asked to have two related texts?

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 10:20:49 am »
Do you think there's a high chance that this year we'll get asked to have two related texts?

There's always a chance since the syllabus leaves it open to being asked for 2 related texts, HOWEVER I think it would be seen as fairly cruel and the standard of writing would inevitably drop. Also the new English syllabus does not require related texts, so since BOSTES is moving that way, it would be unlikely (but obviously still possible) that they would ask for 2 related texts this year  :) There was a discussion the forum a while back where people suggested using a text from the Unseen Texts section of Paper 1 if they needed a second related text for the essay, so that could be a good option if you don't have a second one prepared.
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 02:22:28 pm »

Also just adding to Sarah on this one, who explained it brilliantly already - in the last 11 years they have only ONCE asked for two related texts. Just to pop it into perspective :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

fizzy.123

• Forum Regular
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2016, 01:37:14 am »
do related texts need to explore a different issue to the pt or can they be very similar?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2016, 11:45:38 am »
do related texts need to explore a different issue to the pt or can they be very similar?

It depends on how you want to frame it! I would say that the issue needs to be the same, but it can explore it in a different way. The thing is, you need to make the link between the texts, to justify why they are being discussed in the same essay. If one is about say, relationships, and the other is a political statement, those will be hard to link and discuss at the same time. Try to pick things that explore similar themes, but as I said, they can come to different conclusions or have different messages! In fact, this can really add to your argument ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 05:23:51 pm »

They don't need to be matches, but rather, complimentary pairs. Some similarities, some differences :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

J.B

• Trendsetter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2016, 01:54:48 pm »
Hi,
I will be studying the Tempest for discovery this term, and I have been looking at some related texts.
I have a found a short story about the grief after a tornado and I was just wondering if you think there would be many discovery themes in a grief storyline? Or should I keep looking?
Thank you

P.S I'm not sure if this is the right section to post a question, I am new to this site.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 01:57:11 pm by J.B »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2016, 01:56:44 pm »
Hi,
I will be studying the Tempest for discovery this term, and I have been looking at some related texts.
I have a found a short story about the grief after a tornado and I was just wondering if you think there would be many discovery themes in a grief storyline? Or should I keep looking?
Thank you

Hey JB! Welcome to the forums! Let me know if you need a hand finding anything! :)

In general I'd say that yeah! There could be Discovery in there, discoveries are often spurred by traumatic experiences. Why don't you tell us what Discovery ideas you get from the text and we'll see if we think they are suitable to sustain an essay response? :)

CaitlinSavins

• Trailblazer
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »
Hey just a quick question: My school has chosen the novel 'The Motorcycle Diaries' as our prescribed text for the AOS.
Considering this, would it be in my interest (and the interest of my marks) to choose an ORT that is a novel?
OR should I go along the lines of a poem or film?
Could I use the film adaptation of 'The Motorcycle Diaries' as an ORT?
Sorry, quick 3 questions  ;D

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »
+1
Hey just a quick question: My school has chosen the novel 'The Motorcycle Diaries' as our prescribed text for the AOS.
Considering this, would it be in my interest (and the interest of my marks) to choose an ORT that is a novel?
OR should I go along the lines of a poem or film?
Could I use the film adaptation of 'The Motorcycle Diaries' as an ORT?
Sorry, quick 3 questions  ;D

Hey CaitlinSavins welcome to the forums!

Your related text definitely doesn't have to be another novel! It won't impact your marks at all. Other text types, like films and poetry, can be great because you're analysing different techniques so you can often add a lot of depth and show off a lot more in your essay.

When choosing a related text go with something that you actually like and will connect with 'The Motorcycle Diaries' really well. The text type doesn't matter as much as you might think.  :)

I would advise against using the film adaption as a related text. It won't give you a lot of room to move in terms of ideas.

Let us know later if you're tossing up between a few texts and you need help deciding  :) :)
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle