Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:27 pm

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750255 times)  Share 

TAN0054

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2460 on: May 16, 2019, 08:56:22 pm »
Hi guys
Just got a 68% on my first further sac data and analysis
pretty bummed as i had high expectations
Does that mean that i would need a 90%+ for all other sacs and exam to even consider a 40ss or is that completely out of reach now
Also what are some study techniques and methods to maximize marks on sacs? Lost quite a few marks on the open ended questions, how are ways to minimize mistakes?
Also anyone got practice sacs for recursion analysis?
Thanks guys

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2461 on: May 17, 2019, 10:46:31 pm »
Hey,

I was wondering about the N value for finance solver

If an investment/whatever is compounding monthly (or other units), you times the yearly value by 12 right? This is what we were taught at school & what some of the examples in the cambridge further 3/4 textbook show

however, I've encountered a few questions where the answers in the textbook were the 'year' value, not the actual 'month' value (they did not times the 'year' value by 12). I've shown them below:

(9G q7&8 )
7) Bree has $25 000 in an account that pays interest at a rate of 6.15% per annum compounding monthly.
a) If she makes monthly deposits of $120 to the account, how much will she have in the account at the end of 5 years?
b) If she makes monthly withdrawals of $120 from the account, how much will she have in the account at the end of 5 years?

8 ) Jarrod saves $500 per month in an account that pays interest at a rate of 6% per annum, compounding monthly.
a) If he makes monthly deposits of $500 to the account, how much will he have in the account at the end of 10 years?
b) Suppose that, after 10 years of making deposits, Jarrod starts withdrawing $500 each month from the account. How much will he have in the account at the end of another 10 years?

Would the answers be the textbook's wrong and be a fluke or have I been learning incorrect content? :s

Thanks!
class of 2019

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2462 on: May 18, 2019, 11:50:26 am »
Hey guys!
I've been trying to figure out how to do this question for 20 mins now lol.
Calculate the number of interest-bearing periods, n, required, and hence the time in more meaningful
terms when:
Vn = $2100, Vo = $1200, r = 3% per half-year

Using the formula Vn = Vo x Rn then i get
2100 = 1200 x (1 + (3/2)/100)n
Apparently, this is wrong and i'd appreciate if anyone can tell me why.

Also, can this problem be done using the Finance Solver?
Thanks

2018: Business Management [44]

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2463 on: May 18, 2019, 12:02:34 pm »
Hey,

I was wondering about the N value for finance solver

N is the total number of payments from the first exchange of money (ie. borrowing or investment of a principal) to the final exchange of money (ie. the transfer of the outstanding balance to whomever it is owed). Assuming that the number of compounding periods per year = number of payments per year, then N also gives the total number of compounding periods.

If an investment/whatever is compounding monthly (or other units), you times the yearly value by 12 right? This is what we were taught at school & what some of the examples in the cambridge further 3/4 textbook show

Yes, to find the balance of an asset after y years, with monthly payments, then N will be y * 12.

however, I've encountered a few questions where the answers in the textbook were the 'year' value, not the actual 'month' value (they did not times the 'year' value by 12). I've shown them below:

(9G q7&8 )
7) Bree has $25 000 in an account that pays interest at a rate of 6.15% per annum compounding monthly.
a) If she makes monthly deposits of $120 to the account, how much will she have in the account at the end of 5 years?
b) If she makes monthly withdrawals of $120 from the account, how much will she have in the account at the end of 5 years?

For 7(a) I get the same answer as the textbook. Here are my tvm solver entries:
N = 5*12
I = 6.15
PV = –25000
Pmt = –120
FV = ?
PPY/CPY = 12

For (b), make Pmt = 120 and everything else the same, and I get the same answer as the textbook.

8 ) Jarrod saves $500 per month in an account that pays interest at a rate of 6% per annum, compounding monthly.
a) If he makes monthly deposits of $500 to the account, how much will he have in the account at the end of 10 years?
b) Suppose that, after 10 years of making deposits, Jarrod starts withdrawing $500 each month from the account. How much will he have in the account at the end of another 10 years?

Again, I got the same answers as the textbook. For (a), my tvm solver entries were:
N = 10*12
I = 6
PV = 0
Pmt = –500
FV = ?
PPY/CPY = 12

For (b), my tvm solver entries were:

PV = answer from (a)
Pmt = 500

Everything else the same as (a).

Would the answers be the textbook's wrong and be a fluke or have I been learning incorrect content? :s

Thanks!

I don't think you have misunderstood the content. Perhaps you have misunderstood these particular questions, or you have used incorrect tvm entries.

S_R_K

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2464 on: May 18, 2019, 12:07:09 pm »
Hey guys!
I've been trying to figure out how to do this question for 20 mins now lol.
Calculate the number of interest-bearing periods, n, required, and hence the time in more meaningful
terms when:
Vn = $2100, Vo = $1200, r = 3% per half-year

Using the formula Vn = Vo x Rn then i get
2100 = 1200 x (1 + (3/2)/100)n
Apparently, this is wrong and i'd appreciate if anyone can tell me why.

It's not wrong. What is your reason for thinking it is wrong?

Also, can this problem be done using the Finance Solver?

Yes:
N = ?
I = 3
PV = 1200
Pmt = 0
FV = –2100
PPY/CPY = 2

(or you can do PV = –1200, FV = 2100).

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2465 on: May 18, 2019, 12:17:50 pm »
It's not wrong. What is your reason for thinking it is wrong?

Yes:
N = ?
I = 3
PV = 1200
Pmt = 0
FV = –2100
PPY/CPY = 2

(or you can do PV = –1200, FV = 2100).

If i do it as above, i get n = 34.31 --> 34.31 half-year interest bearing periods = 17.16 years
However, according to the solutions, it says that there are 19 periods = 9.5 years

In order to see if the the textbook gave incorrect answers by mistake, i attempted several other questions that were exactly similar to this one. But i just ended up completely different answers to the textbook solutions just like how i did above.
(MathQuest Further Maths 6th Edition: Chapter 6.5 Q13a)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:26:47 pm by turtlebanana »
2018: Business Management [44]

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2466 on: May 18, 2019, 12:29:12 pm »
N is the total number of payments from the first exchange of money (ie. borrowing or investment of a principal) to the final exchange of money (ie. the transfer of the outstanding balance to whomever it is owed). Assuming that the number of compounding periods per year = number of payments per year, then N also gives the total number of compounding periods.

Yes, to find the balance of an asset after y years, with monthly payments, then N will be y * 12.

For 7(a) I get the same answer as the textbook. Here are my tvm solver entries:
N = 5*12
I = 6.15
PV = –25000
Pmt = –120
FV = ?
PPY/CPY = 12

For (b), make Pmt = 120 and everything else the same, and I get the same answer as the textbook.

Again, I got the same answers as the textbook. For (a), my tvm solver entries were:
N = 10*12
I = 6
PV = 0
Pmt = –500
FV = ?
PPY/CPY = 12

For (b), my tvm solver entries were:

PV = answer from (a)
Pmt = 500

Everything else the same as (a).

I don't think you have misunderstood the content. Perhaps you have misunderstood these particular questions, or you have used incorrect tvm entries.
Yeah I entered those values into my finance solver as well, but got 42378.59 for the first question :L (the right answer came up when i changed the N value to 5 just to see what would happen)
I'm not sure whats up with my finance solver then awks

(And for 7b, I did the exact same values with +120 as the PMT and got 25569.07 for the FV :/)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 12:32:18 pm by f0od »
class of 2019

S_R_K

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2467 on: May 18, 2019, 07:39:33 pm »
+1
If i do it as above, i get n = 34.31 --> 34.31 half-year interest bearing periods = 17.16 years
However, according to the solutions, it says that there are 19 periods = 9.5 years

In order to see if the the textbook gave incorrect answers by mistake, i attempted several other questions that were exactly similar to this one. But i just ended up completely different answers to the textbook solutions just like how i did above.

I get 19 periods if I solve 2100 = 1200*(1.03)^n for n. It seems that the authors of the solutions did not adjust the annual interest rate for the number of compounding periods per year. Check these questions with your teacher, but I would suggest the solutions are wrong.

Yeah I entered those values into my finance solver as well, but got 42378.59 for the first question :L (the right answer came up when i changed the N value to 5 just to see what would happen)
I'm not sure whats up with my finance solver then awks

(And for 7b, I did the exact same values with +120 as the PMT and got 25569.07 for the FV :/)

Yes, I got 42378.59 for 7(a) and 25569.07 for 7(b), and those are the answers given in my textbook. Are you using the revised edition of the textbook? The first edition of the book for the new study design was notorious for errors...

f0od

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2468 on: May 19, 2019, 11:58:24 am »
Yes, I got 42378.59 for 7(a) and 25569.07 for 7(b), and those are the answers given in my textbook. Are you using the revised edition of the textbook? The first edition of the book for the new study design was notorious for errors...
Ah I'm using the pdf copy of the textbook, which must be the older edition. That sucks :(
Thank you so much for your help though, and sorry for troubling you since the answers were right in the first place! :S
class of 2019

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2469 on: May 26, 2019, 04:10:33 pm »

What you tried was:

N = ?
I = 3
PV = 1200
Pmt = 0
FV = –2100
PPY/CPY = 2

But the 3% is given as the interest rate per half-year. That means the value of I must be 6% for the full year.
That will give the desired answer of 18.93.. = 19 periods.

almostdonewithschooling

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2470 on: June 16, 2019, 10:20:25 pm »
hey with these?
ive done question 11a btw.
with 11b, is the ans wrong? it says 1680

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2471 on: June 16, 2019, 10:58:12 pm »
The whole thing of similar triangles is just ratios.

A:a, B:b, C:c.

How have you already tried working these out?
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

MB_

• MOTM: MAR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Unspecified and mysterious
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #2472 on: June 17, 2019, 09:13:55 am »
hey with these?
ive done question 11a btw.
with 11b, is the ans wrong? it says 1680
The answer is 1680. The height of the pyramid isn't the same as the height of each triangle, you can use Pythagoras' theorem to find the height of the triangles. 
2015-16: VCE
2017-: BSci UoM - Maths & Psych

Winter3

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2473 on: June 17, 2019, 04:04:35 pm »
Hi guys
Just got a 68% on my first further sac data and analysis
pretty bummed as i had high expectations
Does that mean that i would need a 90%+ for all other sacs and exam to even consider a 40ss or is that completely out of reach now
Also what are some study techniques and methods to maximize marks on sacs? Lost quite a few marks on the open ended questions, how are ways to minimize mistakes?
Also anyone got practice sacs for recursion analysis?
Thanks guys

You should be alright, I did further in year 11 last year. My data analysis SAC was similar to yours (72%) and I was really down about it, but I did manage to get 93% on financial maths, 96% on geometry and then 98% for matrices. This improved my ranking to some extent and I ended up with rank 7/60~. On the exam I did really well, my teacher thought that I full marked my exam to end up with 43 raw. From my experience doing further, i'd say that SAC rankings aren't too important unless you are aiming for 47+ like I was (then it can bump your score down a lot due to the competitiveness in the high band). As long as you get a respectable SAC ranking, look over past exams, then nail the actual exam, you will almost certainly end up with a 40 raw (basically its all about the exam and dropping the least marks you possibly can on it).

In terms of wether you need 90% on your remaining SACs. The only thing that the VCAA will see from your schools SACs are the rankings, no scores. Ask your classmates about their scores and get an idea of where you fit in the rankings, so yeah just make sure that you're doing better than your classmates.

And about tips for your upcoming SACs, the good news is that open ended questions don't appear again all year. The best method of study is to just tackle some textbook chapter review questions (multi choice, short answer, but focus on extended response) and get a deep understanding of the topic, because the questions are a lot less vague than the questions on data analysis.

Wishing you the best of luck mate!

CA15

• Adventurer
« Reply #2474 on: June 26, 2019, 01:21:15 pm »
https://imgur.com/a/sUMicMO

Hi,
I am having trouble doing 7 C), I understand how to do both A and B but I don’t understand the concept or how to do C.