Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 11:04:49 am

Author Topic: Billy Elliot Thesis  (Read 1578 times)

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Billy Elliot Thesis
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:12:00 pm »
Hi, this is my intro thanks to Angelina's suggestions to the question "In what way does your prescribed text (Billy Elliot) offer new insights into the anomalies in human behaviour and motivations". Could anyone please give me some comments on this?

"The film Billy Elliot by Stephen Daldry adopts the depiction of Billy and Michael as anomalous factors to demonstrate new understandings of what drives human actions. From here, audiences come to realise the valuable outcomes gained from the refusal to conform to societal norms. Through the study of Billy Elliot, audiences are exposed to deviant behaviours in the identity of Michael and Billy, their rejection of social expectations and the relationships they form along their journey."

pink= "in what way" part of the question
purple= "offer new insights" part of the question

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Billy Elliot Thesis
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:22 pm »
+2
Hi, this is my intro thanks to Angelina's suggestions to the question "In what way does your prescribed text (Billy Elliot) offer new insights into the anomalies in human behaviour and motivations". Could anyone please give me some comments on this?

"The film Billy Elliot by Stephen Daldry adopts the depiction of Billy and Michael as anomalous factors to demonstrate new understandings of what drives human actions. From here, audiences come to realise the valuable outcomes gained from the refusal to conform to societal norms. Through the study of Billy Elliot, audiences are exposed to deviant behaviours in the identity of Michael and Billy, their rejection of social expectations and the relationships they form along their journey."

pink= "in what way" part of the question
purple= "offer new insights" part of the question

Hey, minh.tran278!

Great to see you've given the question a shot! I've provided some comments below which I hope might help  :)

Thesis Feedback
The film Billy Elliot by Stephen Daldry adopts the depiction of Billy and Michael as anomalous factors (You could even be more general here and dive into the character examples you'll be using later in the bodies. Something along the lines of "Through the depiction of anomalous characters, texts explore human motivations and behaviours..." and continue from there?) to demonstrate new understandings of what drives human actions. From here, audiences come to realise the valuable outcomes (And experiences maybe?)gained from the refusal to conform to societal norms (Perhaps simplify this to just "challenging societal norms" rather than "the refusal to conform"?). Through the study of Stephen Daldry's film (I would introduce the text here, rather than in the first sentence) Billy Elliot, audiences are exposed to deviant behaviours in the identity of Michael and Billy, their rejection of social expectations and the relationships they form along their journey. (This last sentence is great! It summarises the judgement you have made in the thesis well and brings a natural point of segue into the next section. Well done!)

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:28:15 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music