Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:17:47 pm

Author Topic: _  (Read 2302 times)  Share 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
_
« on: July 05, 2019, 07:38:18 pm »
_
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 06:29:39 pm by Snow Leopard »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Putting Grades on a Resume?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 07:41:04 pm »
+5
In general, think it depends on context of the CV. What are you applying for?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 08:21:58 pm »
+1
I'm applying for woolies, coles, target (I'm pretty young though, so don't know how successful I'll be with that) and maybe fast food as well.
I've never put grades on my resume, and wouldn't unless you're applying for a job where it would be relevant (e.g. tutoring or something in the area that you're studying - although neither of those are relevant given your age).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:23:01 pm »
+4
^Agree, don't think grades are necessary in this case. You could probs spin good grades to demonstrate good time management, focus etc., though.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:51:21 pm »
+4
In future it may be wise to put all your CV/resume/job questions in one thread instead of creating a thread for every 'should I put xxxx on my resume'. Just a thought for consideration.

Anyway, for my first position I put down study scores for subjects that were relevant to the job I was going for. In my case, I applied for a teaching position as a Digitech teacher so it made sense to note my 40 in Computing. If you do a uni course then apply for a job, it makes no sense to put down grades for every subject you do. A simple average which reflects a commitment to studies over a period of time is better.

The question you should be asking yourself before you put something (anything, really) down on a CV: Is it relevant to the job i'm applying for, or am I just putting it on there for the sake of it? If it's the latter, it's probably not a good idea to put it on. Again, a CV is a summary of facts about you and your achievements that demonstrate you as suitably qualified/able to do the job. Resumes/CV's are used primarily as a shortlisting tool (in addition to a cover letter) to progress applicants to an interview.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:53:10 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
Re: Queries about Resume Writing
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 07:19:17 pm »
+2
Just another question:
should you put your references/referee's on your resume, or have them listed on a seperate piece of paper and write on your resume, "references available on request"?
In all honesty, if you're a student then it's okay to have a referees section. But for future, if you're going for a professional job then I wouldn't have referees section or even anything mentioning referees.

Just like in any English essay, you never write 'in conclusion' because you're going to have a conclusion no matter what. In a professional resume, you will always need a referee, so it's redundant alluding to it.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:20:50 pm by zuijinde »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 07:23:00 pm »
+2
I have them listed for sake of convenience.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 07:34:15 pm »
+1
In all honesty, if you're a student then it's okay to have a referees section. But for future, if you're going for a professional job then I wouldn't have referees section or even anything mentioning referees.

Just like in any English essay, you never write 'in conclusion' because you're going to have a conclusion no matter what. In a professional resume, you will always need a referee, so it's redundant alluding to it.

Hope this helps.
Not sure what you’d consider a professional job, but I’ve interviewed teachers for jobs at my school and every single one of them (or at least all of the ones that got through to interviews) had something about referees on their resumes - and our vice principal definitely preferred having referees listed rather than “available on request”, although that didn’t affect their chance of getting the job.

zuijinde

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 08:01:41 pm »
+2
Not sure what you’d consider a professional job, but I’ve interviewed teachers for jobs at my school and every single one of them (or at least all of the ones that got through to interviews) had something about referees on their resumes - and our vice principal definitely preferred having referees listed rather than “available on request”, although that didn’t affect their chance of getting the job.
By professional jobs, I mean any full time jobs (esp. white collar jobs).
Of course, this is my personal advice, so everyone will have different tastes. However, even adding 'available upon request' will waste one line where it could have been used for achievements etc. (if this makes sense).

Just so I'm clear, your vice principal is suggesting to include every individual referee (including their contact details) on your resume? Not on a separate page? imo that's not a good move as adding referee details within your resume will take up quite a lot of space, and I'd rather see your achievements and accolades than have referees on the same page.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 04:05:24 pm »
+1
Just so I'm clear, your vice principal is suggesting to include every individual referee (including their contact details) on your resume? Not on a separate page? imo that's not a good move as adding referee details within your resume will take up quite a lot of space, and I'd rather see your achievements and accolades than have referees on the same page.
Sort of a seperate page (last page) but same file/submitted with the resume.

Also worth noting that a resume is slightly different to a CV (although that distinction isn’t really important for applying for a part time job). A CV is a longer version, and is normally the version required when applying for professional jobs. Judging from the length of the ones I was reading they were CVs not resumes, and whilst space is still important, CVs aren’t limited to 2ish pages like resumes are.

Assuming there isn’t strict page limit like some jobs have, having referees listed on the last page isn’t really taking away from the space the resume could be using - it’s just there for if they’re needed, it’s not a page the interviewer will be reading unless they want to contact them.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 04:16:57 pm »
Sort of a seperate page (last page) but same file/submitted with the resume.

Also worth noting that a resume is slightly different to a CV (although that distinction isn’t really important for applying for a part time job). A CV is a longer version, and is normally the version required when applying for professional jobs. Judging from the length of the ones I was reading they were CVs not resumes, and whilst space is still important, CVs aren’t limited to 2ish pages like resumes are.

Assuming there isn’t strict page limit like some jobs have, having referees listed on the last page isn’t really taking away from the space the resume could be using - it’s just there for if they’re needed, it’s not a page the interviewer will be reading unless they want to contact them.

I actually didn't know that. Are there any other differences between the two?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 04:27:11 pm »
+3
Well, if an employer specifically requests for a resume, in general they're telling you to keep it short and succinct. Where possible, you would focus on making your resume relevant - put stuff on there that you know the employer would actually be interested in.

Whereas in a CV they might be interested in a bit more. That's subjective to debate though, since employers usually won't look at these for more than 30 seconds wherever possible.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 05:12:25 pm »
+2
Basically what rui said. AFAIK CV should include all (or at least all that looks good) work history/volunteering/education etc, whereas resume is just stuff relevant for that specific job.