Uni Stuff > Engineering

Engineering Advice - Melbourne vs. Monash

(1/2) > >>

Tyleralp1:
Hello AN,

I’ve come to the conclusion that Engineering would perhaps be the most appropriate initial career pathway for me. I love mathematics and science, and hence Engineering is a perfect combination of both. Not to mention, it is real world practical application of theory and knowledge which I find very appealing. However after several open days, I’m left quite conflicted as to whether or not Melbourne or Monash is more superior in terms of an Engineering degree. Alongside the questions I’ll outline below, I would appreciate if anyone (current or past students) could offer me any advice, or things to consider when choosing a course.

Other Questions:

1. Does Melbourne University offer any internship programs or have any industry links to the same degree that Monash does? I’ve heard of the great industry opportunities from Monash, but very little of those from Melbourne.

2. Would one recommend a double degree in Science/Engineering at Monash over the sole Engineering degree? Whilst it is a year longer, it would be great to get exposure to another realm of Science, and take part of all the opportunities part of the Science program. Also, if I were to go down the Melbourne Model, I wouldn’t be able to explore the other Science areas as I would need to choose Engineering based subjects by second year to meet the prerequisite. Any advice on this area?

3. Does Monash vs. Melbourne prestige actually exists in today’s world? Will employees look at an application and have a preference towards one particular university over the other. I was speaking to someone at Monash on their open day, and they said that some employees prefer Monash graduates as they are more “industry ready”. How true is that?

Feel free to mention any additional information or considerations I may need to take into account. Thanks in advance for all the helpful replies! :)

Orb:

--- Quote from: Tyleralp1 on August 03, 2015, 05:18:34 pm ---Hello AN,

I’ve come to the conclusion that Engineering would perhaps be the most appropriate initial career pathway for me. I love mathematics and science, and hence Engineering is a perfect combination of both. Not to mention, it is real world practical application of theory and knowledge which I find very appealing. However after several open days, I’m left quite conflicted as to whether or not Melbourne or Monash is more superior in terms of an Engineering degree. Alongside the questions I’ll outline below, I would appreciate if anyone (current or past students) could offer me any advice, or things to consider when choosing a course.

Other Questions:

1. Does Melbourne University offer any internship programs or have any industry links to the same degree that Monash does? I’ve heard of the great industry opportunities from Monash, but very little of those from Melbourne.

2. Would one recommend a double degree in Science/Engineering at Monash over the sole Engineering degree? Whilst it is a year longer, it would be great to get exposure to another realm of Science, and take part of all the opportunities part of the Science program. Also, if I were to go down the Melbourne Model, I wouldn’t be able to explore the other Science areas as I would need to choose Engineering based subjects by second year to meet the prerequisite. Any advice on this area?

3. Does Monash vs. Melbourne prestige actually exists in today’s world? Will employees look at an application and have a preference towards one particular university over the other. I was speaking to someone at Monash on their open day, and they said that some employees prefer Monash graduates as they are more “industry ready”. How true is that?

Feel free to mention any additional information or considerations I may need to take into account. Thanks in advance for all the helpful replies! :)

--- End quote ---

KLD. Enough said.

SpoilerJust joking, but it is a small thing you might consider ;)

Tyleralp1:
Sneaky bump..

..Just to see if any new ideas are out there :)

ShortBlackChick:
Was listening to an AM talkback radio show the other day and they were talking about job shortages in professional industries, long story short this girl called in to say how her partner had gone through the Melbourne Model and then done the Master in Engineering, majoring in Civil and had really great grades but still struggled to find a job because he was technically overqualified for basic entry level Eng jobs, even overseas.

Discuss.

ShortBlackChick:
Oh also allegedly Vocational providers prefer the Monash 'model' to the Melbourne model and refer their students down that path for Engineering. Apparently the graduates are better or something like that.

Not too sure how credible a tafe is, but I cant think of any bias that might exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version