Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:46:16 am

Author Topic: How much is too much?  (Read 776 times)  Share 

Kaan709

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
How much is too much?
« on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:21 pm »
Hey,
Our teacher gives us dot points to copy down, and they're succinct, straight-to-the-point. But when I read my textbook, there's a plethora of different information. So my question is, how far into the topic should I go? Knee deep into the textbook and recent news, or in the shallow end?   

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:52 pm »
+2
Hey,
Our teacher gives us dot points to copy down, and they're succinct, straight-to-the-point. But when I read my textbook, there's a plethora of different information. So my question is, how far into the topic should I go? Knee deep into the textbook and recent news, or in the shallow end?

Hey Kaan! That's a really tough question to answer, because it depends a little. I think the best thing is to consider what you need to do with the information in a HSC style exam :)

For your Options, whatever they may be, you need to write an essay. So, you need enough evidence to sustain an argument for an essay question on any part of the topic. For this, succinct dot points with cases, laws, treaties, media, stats (etc) would probably be enough. I condensed all my notes for the Family option into about 4-5 pages of notes :)

For Crime and Human Rights, you need to answer multiple choice and short answers. This could test small details of the content, so your notes should really have a bit more detail to prepare for those potentially tricky questions.

If I had to give a simple answer, I'd say the aim should be somewhere between your teachers notes and your textbook, but I haven't seen your teachers notes so I can't be sure :P the BEST way to see if you have enough is to do Trial Exams/Practice Papers - If you find that your notes allow you to get 20/20 in the Multiple Choice for multiple practice tests, then you know you've covered your bases! :)