Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:36:55 pm

Author Topic: HELP! ? For BScience into Veterinary Medicine  (Read 1699 times)  Share 

tiffanylps09

• Adventurer
  • My dream is to pet all the puppies in the world.
  • Respect: 0
HELP! ? For BScience into Veterinary Medicine
« on: January 20, 2019, 02:16:13 am »
When uni offers were released, I was super disappointed because I didnt receive a offer for my first preference which was BSc with a guaranteed entry into Veterinary Science (CSP). I knew that the clearly in ATAR was 98.5+ (I got 96.1), but I couldnt help hope for a miracle.

However, I did receive an offer for just the BSc at Melbourne (which was my 2nd preference). Which leaves me to ask anyone who has gotten into the DVM without achieving the 98.5 ATAR or anyone with experience,

1. Should I keep hoping that I might be offered a place in the 2nd round of offers? Is there anything I can do to make it so the uni considers me? Anyone I can talk to? (Ive got significant amount of work experience in animal clinics and shelters)

2. I read that those who achieve an ATAR between 95 and 98.5 are still guaranteed a full fee place in the DVM. If I work hard in uni, what are the chances I will be able to change that to a CSP place?

3. Might I still be able to get into the DVM through the accelerated pathway? How hard would it be in terms of the amount of competition and the average marks needed?

Sorry for the multitude of questions. Getting into the DVM has always been a dream of mine, however, I dont think my family and I can afford a full fee place.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 02:25:40 am by tiffanylps09 »
2018 : VCE
EAL | Maths Methods | Chemistry | Biology | Environmental Science | Indonesian 2nd Language
2019 : BSci @ UoM
CHEM 10003 | BIOL 10004 | PHYC 10005 | MGMT 10002
CHEM 10004 | BIOL 10005 | BIOL 10001 | ANSC 10001

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: HELP! ? For BScience into Veterinary Medicine
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:57:09 pm »
+3
I’ll be honest here outright: I don’t know too much about the DVM, but I know it’s pretty competitive. Some of my classmates were also looking to enter. I don’t know if they wound up getting it though.
1. Should I keep hoping that I might be offered a place in the 2nd round of offers? Is there anything I can do to make it so the uni considers me? Anyone I can talk to? (Ive got significant amount of work experience in animal clinics and shelters)
There is a chance you’ll get in but it’s a small one. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot you can do immediately besides keep it at Preference #1, however, you should accept the BSci offer that you received in Round 1 and enrol. It won’t stop you from getting higher preferences in future rounds that are higher (ie the guaranteed pathway) if Melbourne offers it to you. (If you decline the offer, you’ll risk having no courses in the end, if you get no offers. Don’t want that happening.)

If you don’t receive the guaranteed pathway, in the BSci (normal), you’ll just have to fight everyone else trying get into the DVM, have good enough grades to be competitive enough, continue getting that work experience and do the right units (and any other requirements) for entry. You could also look into studying vet med via other paths or at other institutions as a back up and switch your preferences to suit those as well. (Just leave your offered course as a lower preference.) 

Side note: I do hope you get a Round 2 offer if it’s still available. Good luck!

2. I read that those who achieve an ATAR between 95 and 98.5 are still guaranteed a full fee place in the DVM. If I work hard in uni, what are the chances I will be able to change that to a CSP place?

3. Might I still be able to get into the DVM through the accelerated pathway? How hard would it be in terms of the amount of competition and the average marks needed?
I don’t know much about these two questions so I’ll leave this to someone who knows.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

kingfisher

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Unimelb
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:41:02 pm »
+3
Previous experience isn't taken into account to get into the BSc, only the DVM. I agree with AngelWings- accept the first round offer and see how you go :)

When you apply you actually apply for a FF and CSP separately (ie; you would do one application for a FF and another for a CSP and they're considered separately), so if you qualify for the FF place by getting an ATAR between 95-98.5 then this is separate to applying for a CSP. You would therefore have the same chance as anyone else applying for a CSP, unfortunately it's not as easy as bumping you up to a guaranteed CSP with good marks. 

Yes you absolutely can! It's definitely a competitive course to get into and it changes depending on the year but generally a WAM of 81-82+ should put you in the running for a CSP (which I think would be a fairly realistic goal to aim for with an ATAR in the high 90s). There's around 130 places each year and I actually can't remember how many are CSPs (I think there's about 60 FF places for international students and then the remaining 70 are almost evenly split into FF and CSP for domestic students). The number of places given to students with guaranteed entry varies each year but I would guess it's not more than 10-20, so don't think that not getting a guaranteed CSP puts you out of the running at all! But like I said, it is very competitive so you really do need a WAM of at least 81-82 to be considered for the CSP :)

I wouldn't stress too much about all of this at this point, just try your best to get a good WAM and enjoy your undergrad! Keep an open mind as well, especially when you hit second year and do Foundations in Animal Health (the prerequisite subjects to apply for the accelerated pathway) as there were a lot of people that realised at this point vet might not be for them and entered other animal science/medical pathways (not saying this will be you at all, it just never hurts to keep your options open!)

tiffanylps09

• Adventurer
  • My dream is to pet all the puppies in the world.
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:12:07 pm »
Thank you thank you so so much for your replies AngelWings and Kingfisher! This is exactly the clarification I needed! Like you said, I will definitely try my best to keep my options open during undergrad BSci and try not to stress over it too much. But if the DVM is what I really want to do, you've given me hope that I can actually make it! So, thanks a million!
2018 : VCE
EAL | Maths Methods | Chemistry | Biology | Environmental Science | Indonesian 2nd Language
2019 : BSci @ UoM
CHEM 10003 | BIOL 10004 | PHYC 10005 | MGMT 10002
CHEM 10004 | BIOL 10005 | BIOL 10001 | ANSC 10001