Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:09:05 pm

Author Topic: 2 Level 2 subjects in first year?  (Read 905 times)  Share 

Grape

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
2 Level 2 subjects in first year?
« on: January 18, 2019, 07:33:29 pm »
Hello,
I've been accepted into the Bcom for 2019 (yay!) and am planning my subjects for first year but have run into a little dilemma.
I completed the extension program for accounting in 2018 meaning I have already completed ACCT10001 and ACCT10002. This means that by the end of the first semester I will have more than fulfilled the 50 point progression requirement to start doing second year subjects, and as I have completed ACCT10002, a prereq for second-year accounting subjects, I am aiming to do at least one second year accounting subject in semester 2 2019.

However because I have 2 less subjects than other first years (and I want to save my 2 'free spots' for third year) I'm having a bit of trouble filling in the 2 gaps in my study plan
What I have so far is:
S1: ECON10004, BLAW10001, FNCE10002, ECON10005
S2: ECON10003, PROP1? ? ?,   SPARE,          SPARE

I have had a thorough look through subject reviews on ATARNotes and on studentvip, as well as browsing some previews of notes for the 3 level 2 ACCT subjects. I see that people generally consider ACCT20002 the most difficult and therefore I am sure I want to save this for second year. However ACCT20001 (Cost Management) and ACCT20007 (risks and controls) don't seem as demanding and both seem like subjects I would moderately enjoy and do well in without exorbitant effort.

My question is, would it be wise to take on both of these second year accounting subjects at the same time? I did very well in both VCE accounting and ACCT10001/2 and know I will enjoy the content in these subjects. I also found it pretty easy to manage the 2 first year subjects during year 12, however I expect it would be much harder doing 2 second year subjects during first year…

I’m not finding the other options for filling in my study plan attractive at all. I could use up one of my ‘free subjects’ and only do 7 subjects in first year but, as I mentioned before, I want to save them for third year when they would be most beneficial. I’m also very opposed to do some random breadth subject. I’m super interested in property however majoring in accounting already excludes me from doing the entire property ‘breadth track’ because of all the law subjects I need to use my breadth on. Plus there are already restrictions as to when I can do property subjects due to first year ECON prereqs and some of the property subjects not running in 2019 or only running S1/2… I’m not spending a thousand dollars to just fill a breadth gap in my timetable, I want to gain as much relevant property knowledge as I can through by breadth.

Any advice at all about approaching this issue would be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:30:34 pm by Grape »
2017: Business Management [43]
2018: Accounting [49] - UMEP Accounting [4.5] - Further Maths [45] - English Language [41] - Maths Methods CAS [35]

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: 2 Level 2 subjects in first year?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:50:00 pm »
+1
Just go for it a reckon. You seem on top of it... she’ll be right!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️