Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:36 pm

Author Topic: How did you go??  (Read 38335 times)

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
Re: How did you go??
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2016, 07:42:55 pm »
How do you find out your gat score? My friend said they got it through the mail but I havent received any mail (been checking everyday)
Only way to find out your GAT is to get it in the mail. It should come eventually, depending on where you live and the level of mail traffic. The only way you won't get it in the mail is if your details are wrong in VCAA's records, which is unlikely if you've received other stuff from them.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

motivated99

• Trailblazer
  • School: hello
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:19 pm »
hi, im in year 11 this year and I completed biology as my 3/4. I received a study score of 36 which will scale to 37. I was happy when I received it but now I'm not sure how I feel about it :/ looking at the herald sun is making me feel shit because I can see the names of people from my school and ugh. plus, my friend keeps telling me who got 40+ when I dont really care to know right now. Idk. I know I could've done better because I completed 40+ practice papers so I feel disheartened. can someone please make me feel better because I feel so overwhelmed right now
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:09:19 pm by motivated99 »

Individu

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:09 pm »
hi, im in year 11 this year and I completed biology as my 3/4. I received a study score of 36 which will scale to 37. I was happy when I received it but now I'm not sure how I feel about it :/ looking at the herald sun is making me feel shit because I can see the names of people from my school and ugh. plus, my friend keeps telling me who got 40+ when I dont really care to know right now. Idk. I know I could've done better because I completed 40+ practice papers but yeah :(

Yea man don't compare yourself to others, it really hurts your morale. Trust me even people with atars in the 99's can sometimes feel this way. Just worry about what's ahead - you still have another year to go (5 subjects I presume). Worry about your personal goals, not those of others and stop reading the herald sun lol.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2016, 08:14:13 pm »
hi, im in year 11 this year and I completed biology as my 3/4. I received a study score of 36 which will scale to 37. I was happy when I received it but now I'm not sure how I feel about it :/ looking at the herald sun is making me feel shit because I can see the names of people from my school and ugh. plus, my friend keeps telling me who got 40+ when I dont really care to know right now. Idk. I know I could've done better because I completed 40+ practice papers but yeah :(
Don't beat yourself up about it! The majority of your Bio SS comes from how you perform in one exam on one day. 36 is a score you can be proud of, and it gives you a strong base for the rest of your VCE :) You still have 5 subjects to go.
But that doesn't mean you're not allowed to feel disappointed as well. You can use this as motivation to do really well next year! Importantly, use it as a learning curve :)
In the end, VCE is for you. It's for you to do to the best that you can do , not the best that others can do (really hope that makes sense). Whilst you are, in the end, "competing" against others, it doesn't help to compare yourself to anyone else. Just aim to do the best you can do.

RKTR

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »
hi, im in year 11 this year and I completed biology as my 3/4. I received a study score of 36 which will scale to 37. I was happy when I received it but now I'm not sure how I feel about it :/ looking at the herald sun is making me feel shit because I can see the names of people from my school and ugh. plus, my friend keeps telling me who got 40+ when I dont really care to know right now. Idk. I know I could've done better because I completed 40+ practice papers so I feel disheartened. can someone please make me feel better because I feel so overwhelmed right now

i only got 35 for my 3/4 in year 11 when i was aiming for a 45. it sucks but there is nothing you can do now for bio. use the high scores you heard other people getting as motivation to work hard in year 12 to get 40+s for your subjects. bio will end up as your bottom 2 so the difference between a 40+ and 37 is only 1 aggregate point, which might be only 0.05 diff in atar
2015-2017: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience)
2018: Doctor of Medicine (Withdrawn)
2019: Bachelor of Commerce (Actuarial Studies?)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2016, 08:22:02 pm »

I was in a fairly similar position in year 11. I ended up with a 37 in psych (which scales down to 36). This was still a score to be proud of, and the highest at my school, but nonetheless I was disappointed because the effort I put in and how well I'd done during the year both pointed to doing better.

At the end of the day, I had to rationalise it. It was a score to be proud of and I was definitely on the right track. Having done a subject early also gave me an opportunity to learn about how to tackle year 12. So rather than devoting my energy to what other people I knew got, or to feeling disappointed, I let myself be proud and used my energy to reinvigorate myself for year 12, ready to go on and use what I had learned from my experience with psych.

Despite the fact that psych was what I was most interested in (hence doing it early), all of my scores except for methods beat it. In hindsight this was probably one of the best things I did for myself in year 12 :)

You should never really base something of one person's experience though; however, a lot of students I've worked with have tended to do the same thing. That is, they feel they've not done as well as they could have in year 11 and then smash year 12.

PS: 36 is a great score though and if you got that on everything you'd be well into the 90s ATAR-wise :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

motivated99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2016, 08:23:39 pm »
thanks so much K888 and Individu ! definitely makes me feel a bit better :) It has made me more motivated to do better in year 12 because now I know what I'm capable of and what works and what doesnt work for me in terms of studying.  also, I'm glad that even though I got a score in the 30's, at least I got high 30's which I agree, is a strong base for me next year- wishing you both the best :)

motivated99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2016, 08:25:59 pm »
i only got 35 for my 3/4 in year 11 when i was aiming for a 45. it sucks but there is nothing you can do now for bio. use the high scores you heard other people getting as motivation to work hard in year 12 to get 40+s for your subjects. bio will end up as your bottom 2 so the difference between a 40+ and 37 is only 1 aggregate point, which might be only 0.05 diff in atar

wow thanks so much for that information !! that's true, I'm more than willingly to work harder now :) thank youu

motivated99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2016, 08:28:01 pm »
I was in a fairly similar position in year 11. I ended up with a 37 in psych (which scales down to 36). This was still a score to be proud of, and the highest at my school, but nonetheless I was disappointed because the effort I put in and how well I'd done during the year both pointed to doing better.

At the end of the day, I had to rationalise it. It was a score to be proud of and I was definitely on the right track. Having done a subject early also gave me an opportunity to learn about how to tackle year 12. So rather than devoting my energy to what other people I knew got, or to feeling disappointed, I let myself be proud and used my energy to reinvigorate myself for year 12, ready to go on and use what I had learned from my experience with psych.

Despite the fact that psych was what I was most interested in (hence doing it early), all of my scores except for methods beat it. In hindsight this was probably one of the best things I did for myself in year 12 :)

You should never really base something of one person's experience though; however, a lot of students I've worked with have tended to do the same thing. That is, they feel they've not done as well as they could have in year 11 and then smash year 12.

PS: 36 is a great score though and if you got that on everything you'd be well into the 90s ATAR-wise :)

wow that's amazing !! good on you for being positive about your score, I will definitely use you as a source of motivation ! wish you all the best for your future xx

BNard

• Forum Regular
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2016, 08:51:37 pm »
I feel so weird now. It's been a few days since results and I'm really happy with mine, but I'm such a perfectionist. I'm really disappointed that Melb didn't offer me an access scholarship, but excited about my score and the course - confused 101.
2017 - 2019: UoM BSci (Path)

BonBonBon

• Adventurer
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2016, 09:09:29 pm »

In all honesty, your 'friend' doesn't really sound like a friend as she/he is really showing a lack of empathy in this situation. In the long scheme of things, you will become more effective at studying a 3/4 subject after the experience of this year and i'm sure you'll do better the following year :D

motivated99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2016, 09:42:18 pm »
In all honesty, your 'friend' doesn't really sound like a friend as she/he is really showing a lack of empathy in this situation. In the long scheme of things, you will become more effective at studying a 3/4 subject after the experience of this year and i'm sure you'll do better the following year :D

yeah i agree :/ but she's the type of person to brag about her marks so makes sense that she tried to make me feel bad (she doesn't know that I got the same ss as her lol). and yeah, I know how vce works now so I won't be going into year 12 blindsided :)

motivated99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:09 pm »
Not to barge in and assume what you're friend is like, but it may be that your friend just doesn't know about how you're feeling. I wouldn't call it a lack of empathy (because that's a bit harsh). But perhaps, yes she's being a little inconsiderate, but only innocently from what I'm hearing. If you want your friend to know how you're feeling, I'd make it known that while it's exciting so-and-so is getting 44 SS, you'd like it if she didn't mention it because it makes you feel bad and that perhaps the timing is a little off to be celebrating someone else's achievements.

But yes, motivated99, you can do it! I'd quickly come up with a study plan and revise what worked and what didn't. Be proactive and do the best you can! Disappointment is only a part of a long learning process - the reality is, not all of us can get a 40+. To me, disappointment isn't such a bad thing - it's a reminder that things are going as they should. You've identified that you could do better, which means that the only thing left for you to do next is to execute, and to resist the temptation to withdraw into self-hatred and doubt.

Disappointment isn't a sign that things have gone wrong. Failures and anxieties over an uncertain future - they're all part of everyone's biography, so you needn't feel so alone about it. It's a sign that you can assess your own situation independently and that you are quite aware of your own failings, your doubts and fears, which is in itself something to be treasured, because it helps us understand the suffering and pain we might encounter along the way beyond VCE.

Keep your head up, and you'll do wonderfully :)

yeah I agree, the timing is definitely off and it's obvious too. if she knows I didn't get 40+, she should be telling me that our other friend got 43 for bio because that's just putting me down you know. and omg when I said that my parents were happy with my ss, she literally said "oh what really?" like she was really surprised and that just made me overthink whether getting below 40 means I didn't do well which is ridiculous because it doesn't matter what she thinks but when results were only released 2 days ago, it's easy for your mind to change which sucks.

and wow thank you so much for your kind words !! really made me change my perspective on being disappointed with my result. what you said is totally true and is making me feel better about this situation. all the best

peterpiper

• Forum Obsessive
  • ppp
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2016, 11:11:05 pm »
yeah I agree, the timing is definitely off and it's obvious too. if she knows I didn't get 40+, she should be telling me that our other friend got 43 for bio because that's just putting me down you know. and omg when I said that my parents were happy with my ss, she literally said "oh what really?" like she was really surprised and that just made me overthink whether getting below 40 means I didn't do well which is ridiculous because it doesn't matter what she thinks but when results were only released 2 days ago, it's easy for your mind to change which sucks.

and wow thank you so much for your kind words !! really made me change my perspective on being disappointed with my result. what you said is totally true and is making me feel better about this situation. all the best

Well, I'm glad you came to the right place :) Stick around here! It's a nice community and we're all here to help each other!
2017: VCE COMPLETED

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »
Can't believe it! I am so proud of myself!

2016: English [50]  |  Methods [49]  |  Spesh [48]  |  Chem [50] |  Latin [48]
ATAR: 99.95

Genius confirmed
How?