Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:25 pm

Author Topic: Are we really 'all in this together'?  (Read 3669 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Are we really 'all in this together'?
« on: July 02, 2020, 02:33:12 pm »
I'm of course referring to the pandemic. I don't get why this quote is used as a form of reassurance when the pandemic has affected all of us, but with varying degrees of severity. Some states are already going back to normal, while the active cases in my home state of Victoria have been rapidly increasing and many suburbs are experiencing tightened restrictions. Whenever I hear this quote, I kind of scoff because it couldn't be further from the truth. It just feels like every other state is doing better than ours at the moment.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Are we really 'all in this together'?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 02:39:22 pm »
+9
The idea behind the quote isn't that we're all going to move together, but rather that we all have to do our part. Even if everyone else is doing the right thing, if you choose to all of a sudden break social distancing, then you are putting everyone else at risk

And I agree - we ARE all in this together, and the recent spike in Victoria -definitely- goes to show how a selfish attitude can affect everyone around the person

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: Are we really 'all in this together'?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 02:22:16 pm »
+2
Answering the question: yes and no.
Yes, because everyone in the world has been affected by this to a greater or lesser degree (unless they live under a rock); some by having family members or themselves affected, or some just by, well, you can't go on holidays internationally at the moment. And everywhere in between.
No, because some people are being selfish. Some don't seem to care. Also, places like Victoria, it's a disaster waiting to happen. (What's the chance schools will be shut down again for us poor kids?) Others, they have no cases and the only way it affects them is they can't travel outside their country. We're not 'all in this together'. Some people don't care about it. We're affected to different levels. Some people have to carry the weight of leadership, while others can just coast and follow the guidelines. We're not a united country, not really, so maybe they shouldn't try saying we are.
All the same, I understand what they're trying to say.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.