Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 04:58:31 am

Author Topic: Help with subjects  (Read 770 times)  Share 

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +12
Help with subjects
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:57:34 am »
Hey guys,

I keep on changing my subjects for year 11-12. Can someone help me please.

Option 1 (initial):

English
Further 3/4 year11
Religion 3/4 year11
Methods
Spesh
Chemistry

Option 2:

English
Further 3/4 year11
Religion 3/4 year 11
Chemistry
Physics
Methods

I had a look at the methods and spesh textbook and attempted the questions. I reached chapter 3 in methods in 1.5 weeks. Had trouble with a few questions. However with spesh, I read through a couple of pages and thought I wouldn’t be able to cope with both methods and spesh concurrently so I thought physics may be easier to do with chemistry concurrently and thought I would abandon spesh for physics.

Can someone please give me some advice?

Thanks

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
Re: Help with subjects
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:16:33 pm »
Hey!
Before I say anything, remember its best to decide on your own since you know your own ability. Anyway...
From my experience in year 11, I did English, spesh, methods, physics and chemistry, The two maths subjects (and physics) go so well together, and if you are keen and believe you can cope with the load then go for it, I believe physics and chemistry also go well together so, IMO, you should do physics and either spesh or chem, or both and not do further (I heard its really hard to get very high marks in further) but its entirely up to you. after we completed motion in physics, it came up in spesh (kinematics, which is easier since it has less of those hard questions) and I was all over it, then it came up in methods!
The questions in spesh are hard, but the more of them you do and the more questions you ask your teachers, or AN, The easier it will become.

P.S It is said that if you do spesh, apparently you don't need to study for methods. This is true for year 12 I believe.
Like I said at the start, you know your ability, so if you believe you can manage then I say do spesh, but if you think another way will be better for you then do that.
---
Oh sorry, your going to do further 3/4 in yr 11, i also forgot to say, if you really enjoy maths or your faiely good at maths then do spesh methods and physics since they are like one subject!

mod edit: merged posts
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 02:00:59 pm by insanipi »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:00:35 pm »
Hey guys,

I keep on changing my subjects for year 11-12. Can someone help me please.

Option 1 (initial):

English
Further 3/4 year11
Religion 3/4 year11
Methods
Spesh
Chemistry

Option 2:

English
Further 3/4 year11
Religion 3/4 year 11
Chemistry
Physics
Methods

I had a look at the methods and spesh textbook and attempted the questions. I reached chapter 3 in methods in 1.5 weeks. Had trouble with a few questions. However with spesh, I read through a couple of pages and thought I wouldn’t be able to cope with both methods and spesh concurrently so I thought physics may be easier to do with chemistry concurrently and thought I would abandon spesh for physics.

Can someone please give me some advice?

Thanks
So basically you are thinking spec or physics?

I would be thinking less about overlap between subjects such as chem/phys and meth/spec and more about the differences between phy and spec.

I disagree with the above that if you do spec and methods together you only need to study for 1 of them - the content and style of questions are quite different. Yes there is some overlap so doing it together would be like 1.5-1.75 subjects worth.

Tatlidil

• Forum Regular
  • Math is Life
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 01:51:36 pm »
I disagree with the above that if you do spec and methods together you only need to study for 1 of them - the content and style of questions are quite different. Yes, there is some overlap so doing it together would be like 1.5-1.75 subjects worth.
As I mentioned above, for year 11 and for one of the topics it was similar, and that i heard you only need to study for 1