Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:31 am

Author Topic: I would like to be a psychologist, thanks.  (Read 3716 times)

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
I would like to be a psychologist, thanks.
« on: January 26, 2020, 08:28:48 pm »
+13
Time to stop putting this off and start setting some more clearly defined goals. Hence the title.

The future always holds uncertainty, but as a current job seeker, I need some degree of confidence about what I want to eventually do for a living. My academic interest has led me to enroll in the Bachelor of Psychological Studies at Victoria University in Footscray. Psychology was the only subject that I found to be really interesting in VCE. No particular preference for any specific areas as yet, I just have an interest in the brain and its mental processes.

Oh yeah, the VU Block Model. It will be unique, interesting, and completely different from how many others go through uni.

Ideally, this is how my university life will go:

2020-2022: Undergraduate
2023: Honours year
2024-2025: Masters

I hope that by joining this delightful corner of ATARNotes, I can bring some sunshine into your lives, bring VU to your attention, and also connect with fellow university students!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: I would like to be a psychologist, thanks.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 08:37:35 pm »
+5
Look forward to hearing about this and how it progresses!

Also as a former psych mod definitely agree about psych being very interesting :D

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 10:32:58 pm »
+5
Yess VCE psychology is one of the most interesting subjects out there imo.

Can't wait to hear your perspective on university psychology and your experience at VU.   :D
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 11:28:24 pm »
+5
If the opportunity is avaliable to me, (which it certainly is), should I go on a semester exchange to an overseas university? The financial aspect doesn't faze me as much as it did initially. It's just a question of whether I have the heart to make that decision.

I have been considering Canada. It abounds with natural beauty and cultural charm, and I would love to get to know it in person! Probably better than being a tourist there, as I'll get to experience what life is like as a local. It's always refreshing to live life as a resident in another country.

And imagine the value it would add to my resume.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 11:30:50 pm »
+7
If you have the ability to (mentally, financially, etc) and it will not force you to take any sort of time off your uni course, absolutely. One of my regrets is not "getting out" more during the same time period you're in now. It is invaluable life experience and will assist with developing your independence.

I raise the point mentally because it is a significant decision because you will be separated from everything you know (unless you've done something like this before).... Perhaps this could be beneficial to you and your development? I dunno... only you can answer that. I think of the potential for becoming homesick (especially if you've never left your suburb or state before) so you really need to be mentally ready to do something like this. Have a good hard think about it before you decide.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 11:43:56 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 07:49:51 pm »
+9
6/3/20

As the lone VU student on the forums, I feel like I should give you a bit more background about what student life is like. Firstly, I live off-campus, about 1 hour and 20 minutes by public transport (because I am 95.5 hours short of 120 hours driving experience haha). Plus, I save a lot of money that could have been spent on nearby accommodation. And I don't have a job yet either.

You may also be interested in how the block model works. Having finished two whole weeks of university probably doesn't make me a qualified individual to give you sufficient information, but the way I understand it is:
- In general, three classes that generally run for three hours each, per week.
- Absolutely no pure, traditional lectures. The teaching style isn't too dissimilar to high school. All classes incorporate some form of activities in between the tutor speaking to us. We are encouraged to ask questions.
- No exams/SWOTVAC that I know of (I mean, our uni calendar has no set date for those things, unlike other universities)
- You study one subject at a time over the course of four weeks or so. This is called a block. Then you move on to the next subject, or block, completing four blocks for each semester (this is VU's biggest marketing tool with regards to the block model, I think)
- But assessments within each block still overlap, so you might be juggling multiple assessments, due within a few days of each other. With the limited time to study each unit, there's more pressure.

Whether or not you agree that this very radical approach to education actually makes us better off compared to other universities, I can only speak from my own experience, and I cannot pass judgement on the block model until at least my third year, I think. Then again, being a freshly graduated high school student who has no university experience aside from two weeks, I haven't really experienced anything else haha.

I am assuming the reader is currently attending a non-block model uni or thinking about enrolling in a non-block model uni (i.e. basically every other uni other than VU). What do you think? There is the argument that because there is less time to study each unit under the block model, long-term retention of the content taught will be inferior to other universities, which makes sense. But I like it so far. And at least I am studying something I have an interest in.

To be honest with you, I never, ever, ever feel motivated to do anything. Ever. I just get started somehow, push through the pain, and somehow get the work done. That's my way, don't know about you. Thank you so much for reading this all the way through. I appreciate your time. From my heart to yours, sending love and resilience.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 10:48:33 am »
+9
9/3/20

So here's the deal: I only got one VTAC offer, and that was from VU. It was not my first preference. Since I went to their open days, I was set on ACU and potentially Swinburne as a backup. I decided not to go to the VU Open Day last year, I thought I wouldn't need to seeing as I wouldn't end up there anyway. Unfortunately, my ATAR fell short. The only reason I am at university at all is by virtue of the fact that my course does not require an ATAR, whereas ACU and Swinburne do. I do feel slightly incompetent, but not regretful of my choice to basically quit on my study routine before my VCE exams. I know I probably shouldn't care about it anymore, but it still lingers over my head because it was so recent. Long story short, I just did not want to study anymore and just wanted those exams to be over quickly.

When the calendar flipped to the year 2020, O-Week was a disappointment. Firstly, I was late to my course orientation. The activities offered were underwhelming to say the least. If things went my way, I would be studying Psychological Science at ACU right now. I am in a place where I really should not have ended up, and never anticipated ending up. But here I am. I suppose I'll make the most of life at VU for now. But the possibility of transfer is going to remain on the table.

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 07:24:21 pm »
+8
Reading this makes me slightly sad, even though I know you’ve already come to terms with this is how your life will be... Frankly speaking, I have a fear that I may never stop procrastinating and therefore not achieve my fullest potential or whatever that means. But, your journal reminds me that even if it happens that it’s ok and you can alway strive for whatever you want in life. Obviously, this may put you in a harder place to begin compared to others your age, but honestly the fact that we may all come to the same place in the end is really assuring...
okay that was a bit of rambling there and whatnot.... but all I want to say is that it’s really inspiring  to read about someone who’s coping with how everything is at the moment. I am definitely sure that you’ll achieve all your goals and rock that ONLY VU STUDENT ON DA FORMS LIFE!  8)
Anyways, the block approach sounds way better than the everything at once lifestyle ngl... also, do you guys have no exams per semester or is there another way of assessing all the knowledge, I’m curious?
Good luck with everything and can’t wait for the next update! ;D
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 08:26:14 pm »
+6
I am definitely sure that you’ll achieve all your goals and rock that ONLY VU STUDENT ON DA FORMS LIFE!  8)

Aww, thanks very much! You don't know how much a message like that really lifts my spirits!

Anyways, the block approach sounds way better than the everything at once lifestyle ngl... also, do you guys have no exams per semester or is there another way of assessing all the knowledge, I’m curious?
Good luck with everything and can’t wait for the next update! ;D

Looking at my units for this semester, well I can tell you that I have a test in block two and block three. I don't think they count as "exams"? Otherwise, my assessments are stuff like essays, summaries of readings, group presentations, literature reviews and lab reports.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 04:49:52 pm »
+5
14/3/20

No but seriously, I am procrastinating. Help. My motivation tank is running empty. I don't think I'm actually ready for uni. So, as you can probably tell, I'm not easily motivated, even when it comes to subjects I actually sort of enjoy. Maybe psychology is just something I'm "interested" in, not something I want to get a degree in or get a career in. I've attended every class, commuted to all of them, so my problem likely has its origins outside of class. I feel isolated on campus. My ability to motivate myself to do work is essentially non-existent. I think I will take a break after this unit is done. I simply cannot start my work. But I have to find a way. I still have an essay and my part of the group presentation.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 07:41:58 pm »
+9
25/3/20 - Things bothering me while I do my work:

- Maybe psychology isn't for me
- Maybe the university life isn't for me
- I am a very unmotivated person
- I need to learn the art of delayed gratification
- I don't have a lot of grit nor resilience
- In order to be consistently productive, do I just need a solid study plan?
- I can't cope with university assignments on my own
- My independent learning skills need work
- Maybe I went into university too early
- There might be some perfectionist attitude involved
- I need to stop relying on motivation
- There's so much "required" reading at uni.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 01:12:01 am »
+5
5/4/20

I chose this course because psychology was my favourite subject at school. I'm starting to think that the only reason why I liked it was because I liked the teacher, and her teaching made the content interesting. If I had a different VCE psychology teacher, I probably would not have liked psych. Increasingly, I feel like I have little intrinsic interest in psych.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 11:30:07 am »
+5
16/4/20

I can't stick to a routine. I try to walk outside to prepare myself for studying, but I was exhausted when I went home. There goes another day. I spend more time and effort searching for other courses and universities than I do with my current assignments. Is that a sign that I would like to be anywhere other than in my current course? Is that a sign that I was never actually interested in psychology in the first place? Did I put enough effort into the university search? Probably not. I still think uni is for me, it's just a different course. I'm thinking of another social science, Anthropology maybe? But I will be cautious. I don't want to be lured in by the promise of a better experience when we're all confined to a screen in order to receive an education. So that is why I will not consider transferring until the end of this year, for 2021. I need to give my uni a fair go first. But at this stage, it's not looking so good. I don't know how I am going to get through the rest of this year knowing that an impending university transfer is on the table.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 11:36:13 am »
+5
If you have time, maybe it would help you to look up content from a few different fields and see if any if it clicks with you a lot? Just for ideas

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 12:31:24 pm »
+7
I'd also recommend seeing a GP and getting a mental health plan if you can :) Being in your first year of uni is a massive period of change for everyone and its quite common to be struggling - and things are even more stressful rn given the current climate we're in! You don't have to do this alone <3

I really identify with the whole perfectionist, needing to stop relying on motivation and not feeling like you can cope with uni. Speaking to my GP and then getting in touch with a good psychologist has been so important for me and I'd really recommend you give it a go. Having someone removed from your situation is so helpful with helping you sort through all the things rushing through your head, and its so good to learn techniques to manage your stress and how to deal with periods where you feel really low.